Antecedents of subjective ambivalence

Guy Itzchakov

Sep 27, 2020, 4:00:07 AM9/27/20
to ambiv...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for studies that tested antecedents of subjective ambivalence but not objective ambivalence (besides implicit ambivalence). I would be grateful for any recommendations.

Thank you

Joe Simons

Sep 27, 2020, 4:32:01 AM9/27/20
to Guy Itzchakov, ambiv...@googlegroups.com

Iris Schneider

Sep 27, 2020, 12:16:49 PM9/27/20
to Joe Simons, Guy Itzchakov, ambiv...@googlegroups.com
Not completely sure, but I think maybe Ken deMarree’s work on desired attitudes?

Geoff Durso

Sep 27, 2020, 7:09:52 PM9/27/20
to Iris Schneider, Joe Simons, Guy Itzchakov, ambiv...@googlegroups.com

I have a brief section on this in a submission (under review for 4+ months now...), in case any of these citations are relevant to you (which includes both Priester and DeMarree cites as Joe and Iris had already mentioned). Passage pasted below.

Variation in Felt Ambivalence

As just reviewed, although both structural and felt ambivalence are useful constructs that have been shown to predict important outcomes, these variables are only modestly correlated with each other (DeMarree, Briñol, & Petty, 2015; Luttrell et al., 2016). Research has documented that one reason for this relatively low correlation is that felt ambivalence is often greater than would be predicted by the structural measures alone. That is, research shows that there are more factors that can lead to heightened feelings of ambivalence toward an attitude object than simply endorsing both positive and negative reactions.

For example, people report feeling more ambivalent about an object when liked others do not share the same attitudes as themselves toward an issue or object (Priester & Petty, 2001). That is, perceived incongruity between one’s own and others’ attitudes leads feelings of ambivalence to be higher than predicted by one’s personally endorsed positive and negative reactions alone. Similarly, the extent to which people anticipate receiving conflicting information in the future also predicts how ambivalent they report feeling about the attitude object in the present, above and beyond that predicted by structural ambivalence (Priester et al., 2007). And, when people report wanting to possess different attitudes than the ones that they currently have, they feel more ambivalent about the attitude object than predicted by their currently held positive and negative reactions (DeMarree et al., 2014). Even mere semantic incongruity in descriptions of the attitude object, beyond their normative evaluative incongruity, can cause people to feel ambivalent (Gebauer et al., 2013). Thus, factors that go beyond one’s own personal reactions to an attitude object—assessed by structural measures—can lead people to feel more ambivalent (i.e., mixed, conflicted, and undecided) about the attitude object (Newby-Clark et al., 2002).

+++

Geoffrey R. O. Durso
Assistant Professor of Marketing
Driehaus College of Business