Issues installing ambitious-activerecord

thoraxe

May 14, 2008, 8:54:21 PM5/14/08
to ambition.rb
OK... I seem to be a little confused here, but that's not new for me.
After trying to install ambition, I see that the version from gem
install is only 0.5.2. ambitious-activerecord requires 0.5.3, so I
saw another post here that said someone simply cloned it directly into
their vendor/plugins folder. Sounds good:

thoraxe@vmdora ~/railsapps/equine $ gem list
*** LOCAL GEMS ***
actionmailer (2.0.2)
actionpack (2.0.2)
activerecord (2.0.2)
activeresource (2.0.2)
activesupport (2.0.2)
ezcrypto (0.7)
fastercsv (1.2.3)
hoe (1.5.1)
mime-types (1.15)
mini_magick (1.2.3)
mislav-will_paginate (2.3.1)
mysql (2.7)
ParseTree (2.1.1, 2.0.1)
rails (2.0.2)
rake (0.8.1)
RedCloth (3.0.4)
rubigen (1.1.1)
ruby2ruby (1.1.8, 1.1.7)
rubyforge (0.4.5)
rubygems-update (1.0.1)
RubyInline (3.6.7)
scaffold_form_generator (1.1.0)
sources (0.0.1)

In vendor/plugins I've got ambition and ambitious_activerecord. Let's
boot up some console:
thoraxe@vmdora ~/railsapps/equine $ script/console
>> require 'rubygems'
=> []
>> require 'ambition/adapters/active_record'
=> []
>> Barn.first
NoMethodError: You have a nil object when you didn't expect it!
The error occurred while evaluating nil.const_get
from /home/thoraxe/railsapps/equine/vendor/plugins/ambition/
lib/ambition/processors/base.rb:102:in `translator'
from /home/thoraxe/railsapps/equine/vendor/plugins/ambition/
lib/ambition/processors/base.rb:94:in `translator'
from /home/thoraxe/railsapps/equine/vendor/plugins/ambition/
lib/ambition/processors/slice.rb:11:in `to_s'
from /home/thoraxe/railsapps/equine/vendor/plugins/ambition/
lib/ambition/context.rb:45:in `<<'
from /home/thoraxe/railsapps/equine/vendor/plugins/ambition/
lib/ambition/api.rb:33:in `slice'
from /home/thoraxe/railsapps/equine/vendor/plugins/ambition/
lib/ambition/api.rb:47:in `first'
from (irb):3

Not looking so good for me. Someone on #ambition on freenode
suggested trying to install the gem directly:
thoraxe@vmdora ~/railsapps/equine/vendor/plugins/ambition $ rake
install_gem
(in /home/thoraxe/railsapps/equine/vendor/plugins/ambition)
Not doing any of the Echoe gemmy stuff, because you don't have the
specified gem versions
rake aborted!
Don't know how to build task 'manifest'

(in /home/thoraxe/railsapps/equine/vendor/plugins/ambition)
Not doing any of the Echoe gemmy stuff, because you don't have the
specified gem versions

Also not so good =(

Any suggestions?

thoraxe

May 14, 2008, 9:10:19 PM5/14/08
to ambition.rb
Well, installing echoe allowed me to rake install_gem for both
ambition and ambitious-activerecord. I'm still getting the same error
when actually trying to use ambitious-activerecord:

thoraxe@vmdora ~/railsapps/equine $ script/console
>> require 'rubygems'
=> []
>> require 'ambition/adapters/active_record'
=> []
>> Barn.first
NoMethodError: You have a nil object when you didn't expect it!
The error occurred while evaluating nil.const_get
from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ambition-0.5.4/lib/ambition/
processors/base.rb:102:in `translator'
from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ambition-0.5.4/lib/ambition/
processors/base.rb:94:in `translator'
from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ambition-0.5.4/lib/ambition/
processors/slice.rb:11:in `to_s'
from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ambition-0.5.4/lib/ambition/
context.rb:45:in `<<'
from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ambition-0.5.4/lib/ambition/
api.rb:33:in `slice'
from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ambition-0.5.4/lib/ambition/

thoraxe

May 14, 2008, 9:36:38 PM5/14/08
to ambition.rb
To add an interesting twist...

Barn < Contact.
>> Barn.first
NoMethodError: You have a nil object when you didn't expect it!
The error occurred while evaluating nil.const_get

>> Contact.first
=> #<Barn id: 18, type: "Barn", name:

So for some reason ambitious-activerecord does not like running on
inherited classes... which seems REALLY strange.

Chris Wanstrath

May 14, 2008, 11:08:23 PM5/14/08
to ambit...@googlegroups.com

This is a known issue, someone has brought it up before. The AR
adapter doesn't seem to like STI.

- Chris

thoraxe

May 15, 2008, 8:13:08 AM5/15/08
to ambition.rb
Is there a fix planned for the future? Anything I can do to help?