Are there packages for accessing SQL databases from Amber Smalltalk?

Michael Burns

Jun 15, 2024, 6:00:39 PMJun 15
to amber-lang
I've got a couple of large SQL databases I want to access from an amber project.   I've been googling around and not finding much.  It gets confusing because Google finds a bunch of other things named amber.   Is there a general index of Amber packages I can browse?

Background:  I've been a fan of Smalltalk since the early 80's and have used a. number of other OO languages (most notably Java).  I'm relatively new to Pharo and Amber smalltalk so I'm just getting started.

Pointers generally or direct pointers to projects that have accessed SQL data?

Siemen Baader

Jun 16, 2024, 1:38:09 AMJun 16
to amber...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

I am not aware of any SQL packages or a general package repo for Amber, but is SQL+Amber really what you want to use? Amber is compiled to JS, so it makes most sense to use it for web frontends / SPAs. You can use Amber on NodeJS, but on a server where you can choose your runtime, you'll most likely be better off using Pharo because it has a better IDE, dynamic programming features and real Smalltalk libraries. On Pharo, you eg have https://github.com/svenvc/P3 for SQL, but again, perhaps you want to use a document oriented database like Voyage because you won't have to evolve a DB schema as your domain models evolve.

There is also PharoJS for cross-compiling Pharo to a JS runtime which is actively maintained, but is used to be buggy and undocumented for a long time, so it can be a head-scratching experience.

What are your goals? Personally I'm very happy with Iliad - https://iliadproject.github.io/ - for responsive / AJAX web apps and real Pharo coding server-side. But it needs to be ported to recent Pharos.

HTH
Siemen