IGNITE 2019

Fred Feldon

Aug 7, 2019, 2:06:27 PM8/7/19
to AMATYC-ITLC
Dear ITLC Members  --  Recruitment has begun for Ignite 2019. ITLC members will get first notice, followed in a few weeks by a recruitment call to all AMATYC members.

Do you have an exciting idea, philosophy, pedagogy, teaching technique, an amazing proof, a mathematical side-interest, a discipline-related hobby, a secret to great teaching or learning? Did your topic not even exist until yesterday? Are you nervous or uncertain about presenting a full session but willing to "get your feet wet" for 5 minutes among friends?

ITLC is sponsoring the Ignite Event at the Wisconsin Center in Milwaukee, WI, Friday evening, November 15, from 6-8 pm local time. These are fun and fast-paced Web 2.0 events. The first Ignite took place in Seattle 2006 and has since become an international phenomenon. Twenty slides are automatically advanced every 15 seconds while the speakers have exactly five minutes to share their passion! Audience participation is encouraged. Our previous Ignite Events in 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 filled the room. Come early! A recording of the event will be posted online for everyone to share and discuss. Go to the Ignitewebsite for more information. “Enlighten us, but make it quick!”

E-mail your idea to Fred Feldon (ffe...@coastline.edu). The ITLC membership will select speakers. We’re looking for presentations that might entertain and excite a mathematician; motivate a professor to try something new or improve the teaching and learning of mathematics. The presenters will receive Ignite’s tips and tricks for effective talks.

Give it a try, won’t you? The ITLC looks forward to seeing you “on stage” in Milwaukee!  --  Sincerely, Fred Feldon, Ignite Event Coordinator, ffe...@coastline.edu & Dan Petrak, ITLC Chair, dgpe...@dmacc.edu

Barbara Illowsky

Aug 7, 2019, 3:16:54 PM8/7/19
to Fred Feldon, AMATYC-ITLC

Hi, Fred and others,

Look at my signature below…Emerita!!! I retired the end of June and am now a part-time consultant for a foundation, working on textbook affordability issues. This will be my first year not attending AMATYC. I wish you all well! Thanks for including me each year in Ignite. I loved every minute of being with all of you.

Have a great day!

Barbara Illowsky, PhD

Professor, Emerita, De Anza College, Mathematics & Statistics,

OER & Innovation Fellow, The Michelson 20MM Foundation

@DrBSI

illowsk...@fhda.edu

Hear my name: https://name-coach.com/barbara-illowsky

"Disabilities don't hold people back. Barriers do."- Haben Girma at MediaX 2016

jonnyoaks

Aug 7, 2019, 3:39:17 PM8/7/19
to Barbara Illowsky, Fred Feldon, AMATYC-ITLC
Barbara,

Congratulations! Since the conference is in my region (the Midwest!), this year, I would like to pre-volunteer to provide the tequila to continue the tradition! Also, I hope you'll still be able to enjoy IGNITE from afar via Facebook. :)

Jonny

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Mary Beth Orrange

Aug 7, 2019, 4:03:14 PM8/7/19
to Barbara Illowsky, Fred Feldon, AMATYC-ITLC
Congratulations Barbara!  This is fantastic news! WooHoo!

I too will not be attending AMATYC this year.  I also enjoyed every minute with this group and wish you all a fantastic conference and a wonderful year.  Whoever invented this retirement gig was a true genius!

Mary Beth
Sent from my iPad, please excuse the brevity.

Feldon, Fred

Aug 7, 2019, 6:11:28 PM8/7/19
to Barbara Illowsky, AMATYC-ITLC
Likewise, Barbara! You were a huge contributor to Ignite and I will always appreciate that. In fact, I often think of you as I down a shot tequila. Salud!  --  Fred

Fred Feldon
Professor of Mathematics
Co-Chair Department of Mathematics
Coastline Community College
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
ffe...@coastline.edu

"It doesn't matter if my classroom is a little rectangle in a building or a little rectangle above my keyboard. Doors are rectangles. Rectangles are portals. We walk through." Kathi Inman Berens