Input for a Top Ten List of Resources in the works

Jennifer Ackerrman

Mar 25, 2020, 9:29:25 PM3/25/20
to AMATYC-ITLC
Request for input!  I sent a notice earlier, but even though I saw an email regarding the post, I'm not seeing it at the top of the discussion board. Let me try again!

Nancy Sattler posted in the my.amatyc.org ITLC community:

What advice can you give faculty who are teaching virtually because of the Coronavirus?

Both Nancy and I have replied on the my.amatyc.org ITLC community discussion board, but I was hoping you all might have some additional suggestions and comments! She is part of a group hoping to put a top ten list together in the next day or two. Do you have something to include? What is helping you make it through this crisis?

Thanks for your replies!
Jennifer

Segers, Kyley

Mar 25, 2020, 10:02:36 PM3/25/20
to Jennifer Ackerrman, AMATYC-ITLC
I gotta say, Remind has been incredibly helpful. It's just a simple little site that lets you create a "class" and your participants get texts/push notifications on the phone when you contact the Remind.

In this hectic time with students getting so many emails and perhaps not even checking them, to send something that shows up on the phone is an excellent way to actually reach them for the truly important stuff.

And there are settings to let them text you back or text each other, but all within the privacy shield of the system (no phone numbers are shared). I'm using this to encourage them to set up virtual study sessions or meet with our tutors, since overall tutoring resources are greatly diminished here.

Kyley Segers
Mathematics Faculty
Honors Program Coordinator
Pima Community College

Office: East Campus O1-140
Mail: 8181 E Irvington Rd
Tucson, AZ 85709
Phone: 520.206.7806
Pronouns: She/Her

Feldon, Fred

Mar 26, 2020, 1:29:39 AM3/26/20
to Segers, Kyley, Jennifer Ackerrman, AMATYC-ITLC
Dear Math Peeps  --  It's definitely been a concern as I hear from faculty who chose not to teach online in classes with students who also chose not to learn online. This is a crisis. I put this list of "hot tips" with things that came to mind today, for faculty converting to remote teaching and who may need some ideas and guidance. I attached it to this email. I hope it comes through. Let me know.  --  Fred

Fred Feldon
Professor of Mathematics
Co-Chair Department of Mathematics
Coastline College
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
ffe...@coastline.edu

"It doesn't matter if my classroom is a little rectangle in a building or a little rectangle above my keyboard. Doors are rectangles. Rectangles are portals. We walk through." Kathi Inman Berens

Mar 26, 2020, 2:36:31 PM3/26/20
to AMATYC-ITLC
Another great thing about Remind is that students can opt to receive all their messages via their normal text messaging app.
I have been very careful to only send plain text (SMS) since we went "online." Since almost everyone has unlimited text messages, this is a way to communicate with students that requires NO internet.

Also - there is NOT a "reply all" in Remind, which is *awesome*.

Oh - and for students who CAN use data/internet - it's a really easy way for both of us to take pictures of hand-written work and send them to each other!

Nicole Lang

Mar 26, 2020, 2:45:07 PM3/26/20
to AMATYC-ITLC
Advice re: video lectures.
1) Don't try to reinvent the wheel. There is no time for that now. Look for "good enough" videos that others have already made. (Check out http://www.mathispower4u.com/ or http://patrickjmt.com/ for a veritable plethora of videos).

Note: It's easy to add your own personal touch to "other people's videos." For example, I often write notes to my students about the "other people's videos" that I post for them... like "Pay close attention at about 2:30 because..." or "Ignore what happens between 4:00 and 6:15 because we don't need to worry about that..."

2) If you MUST do your own lecture videos, break them into 10-15 minute segments. (Less to re-do if you make a mistake and bite sized pieces are better for students.)

Consider that making good use of discussion forums and/or having more Zoom-type office hours MIGHT actually be a better use of your time than spending hours making lecture videos. And it might be better for your students, too!

That might be more than one thing. :)

Diane Koenig

Mar 26, 2020, 4:02:33 PM3/26/20
to Segers, Kyley, Jennifer Ackerrman, AMATYC-ITLC
I always try to send recognition to students who are doing well in addition to nudges to students who are falling behind. It is good to let the good students know you appreciate the time and effort they are putting in.

Diane Koenig

Jon Oaks

Mar 27, 2020, 5:48:35 AM3/27/20
to Diane Koenig, Segers, Kyley, Jennifer Ackerrman, AMATYC-ITLC
I loved the presentation Fred shared and all of the tips from everyone else, but...

I'm even a certified Quality Matters Peer Reviewer, and I know I'm breaking so many rules this semester. I was given news at around 5 p.m. on a Wednesday evening that on campus instruction at my college would be suspended at 5 a.m. the next morning and instructors were to prepare the courses to be online (with no indication of whether they actually would be online at some point or not). So, I assumed that they would be online and was ready with the first online lesson for my 8 a.m. class on Thursday morning.

Here's my issue now: with my rush to do this with less than 24 hours notice, I decided to go with asynchronous communication and just post videos from PatrickJMT/MathIsPower4U online with some notes about the videos and directions as to where to find additional resources in the online homework system. Once I had the weekend to think things over and received emails from students saying they missed my voice and wanted me to at least hand write my notes and scan them for them, I decided to make lecture videos and post them. That lasted about two weeks when I realized I was spending way too much time on doing this. So, this week (the third week into this), I decided to go with a synchronous class for those who wanted to view live, and post the recording later. This worked better for me (and for the students who showed up), and I could tell from the chat that the students who were there were more engaged than they would have been in the live classroom. I'd definitely like to incorporate some interactive tools besides chat (such as Kahoot), but I'm struggling with the fact that I originally told students that I was going to use asynchronous communication and so many have planned their lives based on that. So, I'm really struggling internally with the fact that I backtracked even a little bit here.

Anyway, long story short... I think a good piece of advice is just consistency. Students need consistency right now.

I think I was lucky in that I had already had 8 weeks with my students. So, they know they can trust me. I can tell from the messages I've gotten from them. But I can tell in the tone of many of their emails that they are scared. It's beyond the point of they just want answers. They just need consistency.. The ones who attended told me they liked the synchronous session because it made them feel as if they were in class. I think that's what the students need the most right now is consistency. I need that right now, too. I look forward to seeing my students every day. Getting to at least know that they're out there and alive and well, even through a text chat makes me feel good. After I give it a week of letting them get used to the synchronous session, I may add in some other interactive features for them besides just the chat. But I want to give them a chance to get used to things, first.

Jon

Jon Oaks (백승찬)
Professor of Mathematics, Macomb Community College
AMATYC Midwest Regional Vice President
KAAN Webmaster