so sorry!

Harris Valerie

Apr 28, 2011, 2:58:13 PM4/28/11
to AMATYC-ITLC

I selected the wrong “group” in my emails.  So sorry!

Valerie Harris

Professor Mathematics

Central Wyoming College

2660 Peck Ave

Riverton, Wyoming  82501

(307) 855-2126

"A mathematician who is not also a poet will never be a complete mathematician." - Karl Weierstrass

Sattler, Nancy

May 4, 2011, 8:36:14 AM5/4/11
to AMATYC-ITLC

We are redesigning our developmental arithmetic.  We are considering a modular approach or using the emporium model.  For the modular approach we would break arithmetic into four – four week modules and all students in the course would be studying the same material at the same time. If we chose the emporium model, students would work at their own pace using the computer and software such as MyMathLab. A teacher would be present in the room to help the students.

Do any of you have experience with either of these models for an arithmetic course?  Could you please share what you are doing at your school and let me know how it is working?  Thank you!

Nancy

George Woodbury

May 4, 2011, 12:44:12 PM5/4/11
to Sattler, Nancy, AMATYC-ITLC
Hi Nancy,
We started teaching that course here at COS and went with a traditional course set up. Based on my experience I would recommend a modular approach over the emporium model. The reason for this is that I think you can focus more on students understanding the material. I think students may get it in the short term from the emporium model, but may not be able to retain these skills.

My students related to me that their math careers could be summarized as being able to do problems for a short period of time but not being able to do problems after any amount of time had passed. They stressed that they wanted to understand what they were doing, just not duplicate some steps. Offering the course in a modular format can put the students in the same place at the same time, and allow you to talk about why and not just how.

George

Website: http://georgewoodbury.com
Blog: "George Woodbury's Blogarithm" http://georgewoodbury.wordpress.com/
Want to share ideas about MyMathLab? Visit the new Instructor Exchange at MyMathLab.com

We are redesigning our developmental arithmetic.  We are considering a modular approach or using the emporium model.  For the modular approach we would break arithmetic into four – four week modules and all students in the course would be studying the same material at the same time. If we chose the emporium model, students would work at their own pace using the computer and software such as MyMathLab. A teacher would be present in the room to help the students.

Do any of you have experience with either of these models for an arithmetic course?  Could you please share what you are doing at your school and let me know how it is working?  Thank you!

Nancy

Ruth Geiman

May 4, 2011, 1:01:40 PM5/4/11
to Sattler, Nancy, AMATYC-ITLC
We have spent the last year developing a special self-study program to cover a minimum of 6 months to a maximum of 18 months. This links to resources of videos, facilitated workshops, practice worksheets, vender produced explanations, and an inventory to keep track of progress.

I will report on the process and progress briefly at the Amatyc Texas meeting next year. Feel free to ask questions.

Ruth M. Geiman, Ph. D.
Product Director, Center for Mathematics Excellence

University of Phoenix
3150 South 48th Street | Suite 300 | Phoenix, AZ 85040
direct 602.557.7467 | fax 602.735.6255
email ruth....@phoenix.edu

 Please consider the environment before printing this email.

This message is private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and remove it from your system.

Sattler, Nancy

May 4, 2011, 2:20:19 PM5/4/11
to Ruth Geiman, AMATYC-ITLC
Ruth,
What vendor produced explanations are you using?
Nancy

wmackey

May 4, 2011, 11:28:29 PM5/4/11
to Sattler, Nancy, AMATYC-ITLC

Nancy,

I think the "emporium" method would work if you would apply Mastery Learning techniques.  And the other one would work also if you could apply Mastery Learning techniques.

wayne

Quoting "Sattler, Nancy" <Nsat...@terra.edu>:

We are redesigning our developmental arithmetic.  We are considering a modular approach or using the emporium model.  For the modular approach we would break arithmetic into four ? four week modules and all students in the course would be studying the same material at the same time. If we chose the emporium model, students would work at their own pace using the computer and software such as MyMathLab. A teacher would be present in the room to help the students.

Roberta S Lacefield

May 5, 2011, 9:20:24 AM5/5/11
to AMATYC-ITLC
I have nothing but anecdotal evidence to support this but I would encourage you to employ both. Here is my thinking:

1. Argument for emporium: Study of adult learners has shown that they need as much control as possible. A 4wk lock-step approach gives them limited control.
2. Argument for modules: While MyMathLab and other computer-based learning programs are great at teaching skills, they are not so good with concepts. Incorporating an element of teacher "lecture" and student discussion allows students to explore the broader issues.

Modification: Using mastery and self-pacing during the 4 week module along with some lecture and discussion (including a project--group or otherwise) allows students to progress out of a topic and then rejoin the class for the next module.

"The failure to innovate has greater consequences than the failure of an innovation."

ROBERTA S. LACEFIELD, ED.S
STEM Director -- Associate Professor of Mathematics
Waycross College
2001 S. Georgia Pkwy
Waycross, GA 31503 USA
Office 143A
Office Phone: 912 449-7571
WC: 912 449-7580
Fax: 912  449-7616
rsl...@waycross.edu
http://www.waycross.edu/faculty/rslace/

lv2...@comcast.net

May 5, 2011, 10:14:30 AM5/5/11
to Roberta S Lacefield, AMATYC-ITLC

Roberta

Ditto to this. We had a nother system that was nothing more than "parrot math" and the students would take nothing to the next course. Unless they had just done ten problems just like the one on the quiz, they would not transfer their learning :)

Ruth

Petrak, Daniel G.

May 5, 2011, 10:16:19 AM5/5/11
to Roberta S Lacefield, AMATYC-ITLC

I also have been doing a similar mastery learning approach combined with a "flipped class" for my online and f2f beginning algebra courses this semester. I have been using ALEKS to do the non-linear, mastery learning for my online homework and then I have supplemented with Khan academy and my own mini-lectures in class and online. I assign projects, incorporate games, and focus most of my f2f and online office hour time on one-on-one help. I am trying to customize the learning for every student and it has been uncomfortable, but fun. It took me several weeks to let the group lecture die, but my students have greatly enjoyed the the higher quality interactions with me and the other students in the class. I have noticed the motivated students flourishing and accelerating because I am not longer "in the way". Several students completed the course early and then I simply dropped them into Intermediate Algebra for the rest of the term. For the not so motivated student, I do maintain a minimum standard of learning progression and assess time on task and the % of the course they have mastered throughout the course. I will be attempting this for the second time this summer in my online beginning algebra course, so hopefully I will incorporate some of the lessons I have learned this first time around.

Thank you for posing this question to the group Nancy.

Dan Petrak
Des Moines Area Community College
Associate Professor of Mathematics/
Faculty Liaison to Distance Education
dgpe...@dmacc.edu
515-964-6882
________________________________
May 5, 2011, 2:38:00 PM5/5/11
to Roberta S Lacefield, AMATYC-ITLC

I agree.  Try them both and see which works better.  Most on-line math programs are strictly algorithmic and not of much help.  I was trying to answer Nancy when something happened to the internet and everything went down.  Anyway she asked about my website that has a lot about Mastery Learning.  Its www.imetexts.com

wayne

Beth Hentges

May 5, 2011, 4:25:34 PM5/5/11
to math...@mathforum.org, AMATYC-ITLC

Hi everyone,

I've been searching for a statement regarding class size for developmental courses that I thought AMATYC made a while back, but I can't find it.

In 1995 Crossroads, p. 52 says, “Classes must be held in a suitable environment.  They must be a reasonable size (a maximum of 30 wither fewer in foundation classes) to enhance the opportunity for the use of interactive learning strategies.”

I thought that the Dev. Ed. committee of AMATYC had a position statement recommending a maximum class size of 25 for developmental courses.  I can’t find that statement now though.  Does anyone here remember it and know in which document it was written?

Thanks,

Beth in MN

Roberta S Lacefield

May 9, 2011, 7:10:03 AM5/9/11
to AMATYC-ITLC
Beth,

I also thought I had seen this recommendation somewhere but when I did a search for it this mornig, I came up empty.

Feldon, Fred

May 11, 2011, 1:20:56 AM5/11/11
to AMATYC-ITLC
Dear Colleagues  --  I have a new instructor struggling with the interaction, discussion and community-building component of teaching online. He's very shy and quiet in person. That's why I think a couple of group projects during the semester required as part of their grade would work for him. He's completely open to this. The class is Calculus 2 (second semester Calc).

Anyone have any good group projects (with grading rubrics would be awesome but not necessary) they might suggest?  --  Fred

Fred Feldon
Department Chair, Mathematics
Coastline Community College

BRUCE YOSHIWARA

May 11, 2011, 12:59:05 PM5/11/11
to AMATYC-ITLC
Fred,

Smith & Moore's electronic calculus text (Calculus: Modeling and
Application) published by the MAA may have projects you might use.
The online sample at http://calculuscourse.maa.org/sample/ allows you
to look at Chapters 2, 5, and 8, each of which has at least one
project--look at the bottom of the content page for each of those
chapters.

I've not investigated whether or not there are costs involved to be
allowed to view the entire textbook, but I expect that every chapter
has projects.

Bruce

jason samuels

May 12, 2011, 2:34:06 PM5/12/11
to AMATYC-ITLC
smith & moore's text used to be available in its entirety for free. oh well.

in the paper i attached there are some good project ideas for Calc 2.

there are a number of calculus projects involving modeling here: http://www.rose-hulman.edu/Class/CalculusProbs/Problems/catlist.html

--
Jason Samuels, PhD
Assistant Professor of Mathematics

lehmann (2006) - calculus computer laboratory, experience guiding current practice.pdf

Moss, Cindy

May 17, 2011, 8:31:21 PM5/17/11
to AMATYC-ITLC

Hi All,

I am proposing to my department to set guidelines for online course development. Do any of your colleges have formal or informal requirements or guidelines for teaching online courses? Could you please share what they are? If an instructor wants to teach an online course does your dean make the assignment with or without the departments input?

Also, how are evaluations done for your online classes?

Thanks,

Cindy

Cindy Moss

Skyline College

Moss, Cindy

May 17, 2011, 9:20:44 PM5/17/11
to Feldon, Fred, AMATYC-ITLC

Fred,

This is an amazing document! Thank you so much for sharing.

Cindy

May 18, 2011, 8:59:44 AM5/18/11
to Moss, Cindy, Feldon, Fred, AMATYC-ITLC
Fred,

This is an excellent document! Your college is to be congratulated.

Thank you for sharing.

Mary Beth

May 18, 2011, 5:37:17 PM5/18/11
to Feldon, Fred, AMATYC-ITLC

Fred,

How are the online evaluations preformed? I understand the same standards are used but what about the classroom component Also, what about student evaluations? How do you make it anonymous?