Discussion board topics for FM and SOC

Nathan Crowder

Aug 17, 2018, 12:22:51 PM8/17/18
to AMATYC-ITLC
Hi everyone,

We're not big discussion board people for our online courses here at my school, and so I'm reaching out to this group for ideas on prompts and or ways to incorporate discussion into these two classes, but primarily Finite since that is what I'm teaching this semester.

What open ended questions or scenarios do you have students respond to in your FM course?  We have what I feel is a standard coverage: financial math, linear programming (graphical and using simplex), a little set theory, probability, and statistics.

Thanks for any ideas.

Feldon, Fred

Aug 17, 2018, 5:10:53 PM8/17/18
to Nathan Crowder, AMATYC-ITLC
Hi, Nathan  --  Believe it or not, I have had the MOST success and the GREATEST amount of participation when I post prompts relating to the affective domain. So these would work with ANY math class at any level. And research shows that discussing grit, perseverance, math anxiety, collaboration and communication, study skills and habits, etc., lead to an increase in success and retention and exam scores. It's a win-win.

Here are 14 of my favorites. How do these look to you? Enjoy!  --  Fred

Fred Feldon
Professor of Mathematics
Co-Chair Department of Mathematics
Coastline Community College
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
ffe...@coastline.edu

"It doesn't matter if my classroom is a little rectangle in a building or a little rectangle above my keyboard. Doors are rectangles. Rectangles are portals. We walk through." Kathi Inman Berens

Aug 18, 2018, 11:36:01 AM8/18/18
to Feldon, Fred, Nathan Crowder, AMATYC-ITLC
I always struggle with Discussions, but use them for all my online classes - Thank you for sharing! At first glance, these are great!!

Best,
Cathleen Rossman
Associate Professor - Mathematics
Cuyahoga Community College

Jerry Tuttle

Aug 20, 2018, 5:07:01 PM8/20/18
to Nathan Crowder, AMATYC-ITLC
In any math course I try to ask students to think of a use each week's topic might possibly have in their major or future occupation.

In statistics I try to ask students to find an example of statistics in the news, with extra points for a misleading use of statistics.

Jerry Tuttle
University of Phoenix