ITLC Themed Session during AMATYC 2021

jacker...@kctcs.edu

Sep 7, 2020, 10:39:17 AM9/7/20
to AMATYC-ITLC

Dear ITLC,

What more fitting theme could there be for 2021 than a phoenix, rising from the ashes of 2020?!

For the AMATYC 2021 conference in Phoenix, do we want to submit a proposal for a themed session? If so, we need to come up with a theme proposal and description in time for me to submit with my September 15 Board Report. A couple of general ideas might include a themed session on assessment in our new, hybrid/virtual/online world. Another might be something on recent innovations in learning and the science behind learning.

Please post a response to let me know if there is interest. If our proposal is accepted, we'll have to select the 6 speakers who present during the themed session, but that can happen after we determine whether or not the board approves us for a themed session (there are limited slots).

Whether you're working on Labor Day or have the day off, I hope you are holding up well through the start of your fall semester!
Jennifer

Rob Eby

Sep 7, 2020, 5:10:26 PM9/7/20
to jacker...@kctcs.edu, AMATYC-ITLC
I like it.  Since it seems that no matter what happens with COVID-19 there will be more remote/blended teaching and learning, maybe the session could focus on assessments.  Like "Innovative Assessments to Help Your Students Rise From the Ashes."  (Or something)  If we have too many ideas for a themed session, we could always encourage the presenters to put in for the split sessions, or the "table-top" sharing sessions if not the entire session.
My 2 cents.
Rob Eby

Feldon, Fred

Sep 8, 2020, 2:36:33 PM9/8/20
to Rob Eby, jacker...@kctcs.edu, AMATYC-ITLC
Hi, Rob & All  --  I admit assessment was and probably still is a professor's biggest challenge especially teaching remotely. How do you prevent cheating? What is an authentic assessment, anyway? It could prove very popular. Jennifer, just make sure about this because in the past, the AMATYC Board did not want the ITLC having both a themed session and the Ignite. Make sure that wouldn't be a problem.  --  Fred

Fred Feldon
Professor of Mathematics
Coastline College
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
ffe...@coastline.edu

"It doesn't matter if my classroom is a little rectangle in a building or a little rectangle above my keyboard. Doors are rectangles. Rectangles are portals. We walk through." Kathi Inman Berens

Sep 9, 2020, 4:24:15 PM9/9/20
to AMATYC-ITLC
Thanks Rob and Fred!
I'll be sure to verify that we can have a themed session in addition to Ignite. Presuming that we can do both events, does anyone want to volunteer to present during an ITLC theme session on "Innovative Assessments to Help Your Students Rise From the Ashes" in Phoenix 2021? The regional representatives will make any final decisions about presenters (if our themed session gets approved), but it would help my proposal if we already have some volunteers who want to participate. Please post a reply or email me if you're interested - if you're feeling motivated, you're welcome to include a specific aspect of assessment or even a title/description.

I'm open to other names or theme suggestions as well! Thanks!
Jennifer

On Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 2:36:33 PM UTC-4 Fred Feldon wrote:
[...]

Mary Beth Orrange

Sep 9, 2020, 4:40:21 PM9/9/20
to jacker...@kctcs.edu, AMATYC-ITLC
I love these suggestions!!!

Assessment online is such a hot topic and promises to remain heated.  Great idea. And please fight for both sessions as they reach entirely different audiences and both should be presented.

Mary Beth Orrange
Sent from my iPhone

Rob Eby

Sep 10, 2020, 10:59:12 PM9/10/20
to jacker...@kctcs.edu, AMATYC-ITLC
Jennifer,
I used the sound option in Desmos this past spring after we went all online for some assessments and it seemed to work well.  I know my students really found it interesting.  I would be happy to talk on that in a themed session, if approved.  (And if I am picked for one of the six)

Rob Eby
a.k.a. Saint Rob the Humble
Math Geek for hire

jacker...@kctcs.edu

Sep 15, 2020, 1:00:09 AM9/15/20
to AMATYC-ITLC
Rob,

Was that option part of the free desmos or did students have to pay to use it?

Thanks,
Jennifer