Distance Ed Math Class Exams and Proctoring

Fred Feldon

Oct 13, 2019, 4:02:27 PM10/13/19
to AMATYC-ITLC
Deat ITLC Colleagues  --  I'd like to add my name to serve on the subcommittee to revise the Position Statement on Proctored Testing for Courses Taught at a Distance. Here's the reason.

Coastline offered its first online math class in 1999. We've been a "pioneer" of this modality. As such, with hundreds of course offerings and thousands of students served, we have come to the realization of how easy it is to cheat with electronic proctoring. Frankly, it's a breeze. One of our faculty recently documented (on video) four ways to cheat using trickery and sleight of hand to access cell phone, cheat sheet, additional browsers, laptops and tablets using electronic proctoring on the highest possible settings. Our administration is trying to end human proctoring., Our department unanimously agreed to the following policy.

Coastline College is committed to authentic assessment of students in mathematics classes with heavily weighted midterms and final exams. These exams are paper and pencil, proctored by a human. Students are required to explain their thinking, justify their answers, show their work using proper mathematical notation with the majority of the questions being open-ended and free response which allows for partial credit. The Coastline math department requires these exams to have human proctors with line-of-sight to ensure authorship of work and to maintain integrity and the College's academic honesty policy.

Feel free to comment or perhaps reply with your own experience in this matter, and what your department policy is. Thanks!  --  Fred

Foth, Robert

Oct 13, 2019, 6:45:18 PM10/13/19
to Fred Feldon, AMATYC-ITLC
Could you expand on this " using electronic proctoring on the highest possible settings." What proctoring was being used?

Robert Foth
PimaOnline Department Head Mathematics
Discipline Coordinator MAT 092S, 142, 146, and 147
Pima Community College
Northwest Campus G202

Feldon, Fred

Oct 13, 2019, 7:14:37 PM10/13/19
to Foth, Robert, AMATYC-ITLC
Proctorio

Fred Feldon
Professor of Mathematics
Co-Chair Department of Mathematics
Coastline Community College
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
ffe...@coastline.edu

"It doesn't matter if my classroom is a little rectangle in a building or a little rectangle above my keyboard. Doors are rectangles. Rectangles are portals. We walk through." Kathi Inman Berens

Oct 13, 2019, 7:36:29 PM10/13/19
to Fred Feldon, AMATYC-ITLC

Hi Fred,

Can you share the video? Here is one of many websites that give instructions on how to cheat with electronic proctoring systems. https://www.executiveacademics.com/single-post/2016/1/5/Beating-Cheating-and-Defeating-Online-Proctoring

Not to mention all the sites that advertise they will take an online class for students.

Thanks,

Cindy

Professor Moss

Skyline College

San Bruno, CA

http://accounts.smccd.edu/moss/

[SMCCCD-EXTERNAL-STAMP-ADDED]

Foth, Robert

Oct 14, 2019, 1:10:00 PM10/14/19
to Feldon, Fred, AMATYC-ITLC
So you were using the record only version then? Not a live proctor? Reason I ask is I know the record only is not a great solution as it puts a huge burden on the faculty member to review the video even though they try to flag videos with suspicious behavior - a live proctor typically interrupts students with suspicious behavior to sweep a room.

Feldon, Fred

Sent: Monday, October 14, 2019 10:09 AM

To: Feldon, Fred
Cc: AMATYC-ITLC

Foth, Robert

Oct 14, 2019, 3:22:35 PM10/14/19
to Feldon, Fred, AMATYC-ITLC
The cost is around 25 per 2 hour exam which is typically much higher compared to the record and go type proctoring where there is not interactions. I think overall that one is harder to cheat - there are lots of ways to cheat in the ftf proctoring environment as well so your department just needs to feel comfortable with the choice that is made. I have advocated we do not go the direction of record and go as it is more problematic and puts a huge burden of time on the faculty member to review for incidents.

I think we would want to make sure our position statement does not pigeon hole proctoring to be done solely in a physical location and that we support some sort of electronic proctoring. I think with ProctorU we get in general the same level of security as our physical testing centers - the one thing to be aware of is that we can see the whole proctoring event when it it is done that way and we over analyze any gaps. When we look at physical site proctoring other issues pop up as well, but we don't have the same type of data to analyze (we have had faculty watch the proctoring and saw proctors not doing their job there as well and students doing things they should not do when testing).

Graser, David

Oct 14, 2019, 3:50:17 PM10/14/19
to Feldon, Fred, AMATYC-ITLC

When our local universities started talking about the transferability of online classes that do not have at least human proctoring in at least 50% of assessments, I took notice and began requiring students to take their midterm and final (50% of the final grade) in a human proctored environment. Ten years ago this was a bit of a pain since finding proctored testing locations was tough. In the last few years, it has been a management issue but not a barrier to students taking exams. For my classes, online students have several choices.

  1. They can take the midterm and final in a class room setting with my face to face students at a time when the face to face class is scheduled.
  2. They can take the midterm and final in a Yavapai College Proctored Testing Center in Prescott, Clarkdale, or Prescott Valley during a three day window. These centers are open from 8-5pm generally, but do have extended hours on some days.
  3. They can take the midterm and final at another proctored testing location where the exam is proctored by a person at that location.

About 75% of my online students are located in the district and take advantage of Option 2. Managing this requires me to contact each student and to get them to fill out a Google Form  with the location of the testing center they wish to use…then I have to get exams to those centers.

Another 25% of my online students take advantage of Option 3. I was concerned that this would be a real burden, but over the past five years I have only had one student that made it into a nightmare. Some of the locations students have used are testing centers at community colleges in the Phoenix and Tucson area, testing centers located at university extension sites, public libraries, air force bases…you name it. There is also a burgeoning test proctoring business associated with various businesses that offer tutoring for junior and high school students. Managing this is a task. I send them a Google Form to fill out requesting the name of the testing center, a phone contact, and an email contact. The only obstacle I have run into is that some university or community college testing centers will restrict testing to their students during the eight and final weeks of the semester. I try to take this into account when scheduling the exams.

In short, finding proctors that are physically present is not the burden I once anticipated. If you college is going to go deep into online learning, they need to offer testing services to other colleges as well as their own students. By providing reciprocal services, all of the colleges can survive and thrive. There are plenty of students out there for everyone.

Dave

Dr David Graser

Professor of Mathematics

Yavapai College

928-776-2108

Office Hours: TTh 9:15-11am in 4-105 or Zoom

Zoom: MAT 142 M 7-7:45pm, MAT 172 T 7-7:45pm, MAT 212 M 7:45-8:30pm

Anne S. Magnuson

Oct 14, 2019, 4:53:08 PM10/14/19
to Graser, David, Feldon, Fred, AMATYC-ITLC
Hello,

At Wake Tech, our department has always required testing at our e-learning testing center if a student lives less than 50 miles from the closest Wake Tech location.  If they are farther away, they must secure an alternate proctor in a college setting to administer their tests in a proctored environment.  This holds for unit tests (usually 3 to 4) and final exams.  We use online homework systems, Blackboard assignments, etc. for other assessments.

Our testing center currently uses Smarterproctoring, which is a web site that acts as a hub for testing centers so that remote proctors can share testing materials. They are piloting another system called Registerblast.

Smarterproctoring has a list of member testing centers that are not necessarily vetted so unless they are well-known to us (used frequently or at another NC community college), we have the student supply the instructor with contact information for their alternate proctor and the instructor must be satisfied that their choice is a legitimate testing center in a college setting (no elementary school librarian or mother's best friend, etc.).    In the early days of using Smarterproctoring, we have had instances where a nefarious person(s) signed up as a testing center with Smarterproctoring and either allowed students to cheat or provided the answers, so we stress that the instructors must check out new alternate proctors.  We ask the alternate proctor to sign a contract agreeing they will give the tests under the conditions requested and return the scanned test to our testing center, similar to David's process.

Also, there is an organization of testing centers, NCTA, that certifies testing centers.

Our biggest problem with this process is with students who do not read the important information when they sign up for the class that unit tests and final exams are proctored.  This has caused problems with students in remote locations or foreign countries or those who just don't want to come to campus at all, but we hold fast to the policy as the importance of maintaining the integrity of the course is paramount.

Regards,

Anne Magnuson

Associate Department Head, Math & Physics

Wake Tech Community College

6600 Louisburg Rd, ND477

Raleigh, NC 27616

919-532-5637

Oct 15, 2019, 9:55:17 AM10/15/19
to Moss, Cindy, AMATYC-ITLC
Wow. And it's from 2016. I can only imagine the advances made in the last 3-4 years since this article was published!

Regarding the Coastline College videos, I've already had three requests for them. I will ask my colleague for the links. I will get right back to you all.  --  Fred

Fred Feldon
Professor of Mathematics
Co-Chair Department of Mathematics
Coastline Community College
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
ffe...@coastline.edu

"It doesn't matter if my classroom is a little rectangle in a building or a little rectangle above my keyboard. Doors are rectangles. Rectangles are portals. We walk through." Kathi Inman Berens

Dear ITLC Colleagues  --  I'd like to add my name to serve on the subcommittee to revise the Position Statement on Proctored Testing for Courses Taught at a Distance. Here's the reason.

Coastline offered its first online math class in 1999. We've been a "pioneer" of this modality. As such, with hundreds of course offerings and thousands of students served, we have come to the realization how easy it is to cheat with electronic proctoring. Frankly, it's a breeze. One of our faculty recently documented (on video) four ways to cheat using trickery and sleight of hand to access cell phone, cheat sheet, additional browsers, laptops and tablets using electronic proctoring on the highest possible settings. Our administration is trying to end human proctoring., Our department unanimously agreed to the following policy.

Coastline College is committed to authentic assessment of students in mathematics classes with heavily weighted midterms and final exams. These exams are paper and pencil, proctored by a human. Students are required to explain their thinking, justify their answers, show their work using proper mathematical notation with the majority of the questions being open-ended and free response which allows for partial credit. The Coastline math department requires these exams to have human proctors with line-of-sight to ensure authorship of work and to maintain integrity and the College's academic honesty policy.

Feel free to comment or perhaps reply with your own experience in this matter, and what your department policy is. Thanks!  --  Fred

[SMCCCD-EXTERNAL-STAMP-ADDED]

Eric York

Oct 15, 2019, 10:21:34 AM10/15/19
to Feldon, Fred, AMATYC-ITLC, Moss, Cindy
We too are wrestling with proctoring exams for online courses, so I'm flol owing this discussion with interest.
Eric

[SMCCCD-EXTERNAL-STAMP-ADDED]

*** NOTICE *** This message was sent from an external sender and did not originate from Coast Community College District. If you are unsure of the authenticity of the sender, DO NOT click any links or download any attachments. Instead, click on FORWARD and address to phishing

Mary Beth Orrange

Oct 15, 2019, 11:20:57 AM10/15/19
to Eric York, Feldon, Fred, AMATYC-ITLC, Moss, Cindy
I am retired from teaching but I love this discussion anyway!!!

Thanks to everyone for their contributions!

Mary Beth
Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 15, 2019, at 10:21 AM, Eric York <eric...@wnc.edu> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/amatyc-itlc/CABT7bWyMOXgHz3u4xKj4VhvbQWAz0QnJTh8LRxscN3ddNbJ9vQ%40mail.gmail.com.

George Hurlburt

Oct 16, 2019, 11:31:46 AM10/16/19
to Mary Beth Orrange, Eric York, Feldon, Fred, AMATYC-ITLC, Moss, Cindy

I’ve always required proctored testing.  A long time ago, I experimented with having some exams proctored and some unproctored, but found the grade discrepancy between proctored and unproctored was very unacceptable.

For the past 3 years I used an online proctoring service.  I stopped using it this semester because I didn’t like that I had to run my test through my course site.  I wanted to use paper/pencil.  Running through the course site limited the types of questions I could ask.  Also, students need to graph by hand.  Graphing on the computer just isn’t the same.

Recently our Provost asked why the Math Department required proctored testing for our online classes.  My response was “The question you should be asking is how do faculty members who don’t require anything to be proctored ensure academic standards and integrity.”

George

George Hurlburt

Professor of Mathematics

SUNY Corning Community College

1 Academic Drive

Corning, NY  14830

607-962-9324

[SMCCCD-EXTERNAL-STAMP-ADDED]

*** NOTICE *** This message was sent from an external sender and did not originate from Coast Community College District. If you are unsure of the authenticity of the sender, DO NOT click any links or download any attachments. Instead, click on FORWARD and address to phishing

Jon Oaks

Oct 17, 2019, 8:38:27 PM10/17/19
to Fred Feldon, AMATYC-ITLC
I like the statement that Coastline has put out. For online classes at my college, we require an on campus final exam or a proctored exam in person at a college close to the student. The student has to make the arrangements on their own and it is at their own expense. A few years ago we were able to get the registrar to put the on campus final exam requirement in the online schedule, but I think a statement along with it as to why we are requiring the on campus final exam would prove helpful for the students to know up front before they even register to take the class.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon Oaks (백승찬)
Professor of Mathematics
AMATYC Midwest Regional Vice President

Feldon, Fred

Oct 21, 2019, 12:46:26 AM10/21/19
to Feldon, Fred, Debrecht, Johanna M., George Hurlburt, Mary Beth Orrange, Eric York, AMATYC-ITLC, Moss, Cindy
The students who are local typically go to the community college testing center. Some local students like the ProctorU option if they have a demanding work schedule (this way they can schedule when to take the exam and that may be outside of our regular testing windows). The distance students like it since they get some flexibility and don't have to figure out where they can test and drive to that location (which may end up costing more than $25 when you factor in the time to do the leg work up front and then the possible drive to a physical location). Students still have the option to seek out a physical center, but that is extremely rare now unless they are already a student at the other institutions since most places seem to charge to proctor the exams (from my experience).