List of Resources for Moving to Digital Learning

Jennifer Ackerrman

Mar 25, 2020, 9:48:19 AM3/25/20
to AMATYC-ITLC
Nancy Sattler started this conversation on my.amatyc.org in the ITLC community discussion board. I wanted to move it to this forum so anyone who does not have access to my.amatyc.org can contribute (if you do have access, take a moment to see some of the other resources and conversations taking place!). Please feel free to contribute to their top ten list! - Jennifer

Original Post:

What advice can you give faculty who are teaching virtually because of the Coronavirus?

------------------------------
Nancy Sattler
Dean Emerita & Adjunct Faculty
Terra State CC (emerita)
Fremont OH
------------------------------

Mar 23, 2020 9:37 PM
Nancy Sattler
Nancy Sattler
Mar 24, 2020 8:40 AM
Nancy Sattler

Jennifer,

Thank you for your reply. I have taught online for many years and only teach online now.  I am chairing a TPSE group who wants to create a list of the top ten things that teachers should be aware of when shifting to teaching online.  We met yesterday and will meet again today.  We want to have this list created in the next couple of days.  It will be placed on the MAA website, AMS, TPSE, AMATYC (I hope), ASA and others.  We will also post in on FB.  I thought of the Innovative Teaching and Learning Committee to help.

Here are our brainstorming ideas so far:

Record lectures in short snippets --

use

Encourage student collaboration and discourse

Through

  • Discussion boards in Canvass and Blackboard
  • Shared documents in Google Docs
  • Microsoft Teams through your Office 365 Webmail

Provide students with individualized support and feedback

 Use

  • Insert comments in WORD
  • Recorded video

Offer both asynchronous and synchronous options for students.

If you are meeting online with students synchronously, record the meeting so that students who cannot attend in real time can watch the recording.

Stay Positive!  Think of your mental health and that of your students.

Come to consensus on coherent departmental design standards for virtual learning.

Communicate expectations clearly and often. Establish netiquette rules up front. Communicate weekly about what is due, when, what tools need to be used, and where/how it should be submitted.

Keep compassion and flexibility in the forefront; learning is more important than deadlines.

Recognize that some students may have childcare or other family responsibilities, unreliable internet access, inadequate computers or other resources. Provide alternatives for students lacking appropriate technology to participate remotely, perhaps even by email or snail mail.

Be aware of FERPA and accessibility requirements. Some institutions will require you to use their identified platform(s), which have been vetted for student privacy and other concerns.

Have a clear vision of what you want your students to learn, and align all course activities and assignments with those goals.

Keep students engaged by using small, frequent assignments, at least some of which require them to work actively together.

Our department is hosting a weekly Online Teaching Discussion. We have a canvas site that we are teachers on and can post things that we've used or find useful.

Ask open-ended questions. Learning happens through struggle and discussion, which doesn't happen with yes/no questions. Ask why and how

Nan

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

  Reply to Group Online   View Thread   Recommend   Forward