DRAFT: Out now: Amandla! magazine (Edition #26/7)

Mark Weinberg @ AIDC

Sep 14, 2012, 3:07:59 AM9/14/12
to infoac...@googlegroups.com, amandla_media

 What lies behind the Marikana massacre …?

This beautifully illustrated bumper double issue of Amandla! magazine not only focuses on the massacre itself but examines the nature and impact of the mining industry. Here we expose how new politically connected elites, not least those linked to President Zuma, are using their political clout to take advantage of SA's mineral led industrialization strategy to secure mining licenses, often as junior partners to the big producers.

While a lot has been written on Marikana we look at worker organization in the Platinum industry and the tradition of rank-and-file organizing which helps to explain the rebellion against labour bureaucratization.

Contributions from Ronnie Kasrils, David Van Wyk, Gavin Capps, and the Amandla! team  systemically analyse the growth of the platinum and coal industries and the way this is poisoning our body politic as well as the environment and mining communities.

Beyond the words of outrage, Amandla! features the powerful photography of Ilan Godfrey and Jeannette Unite's artworks that evocatively portray the real cost of mining on our people.
Inline images 1

Also in this issue:

- Zama Timbela from the Progressive Youth Movement (PYM) reports from service protests in Khayelitsha;
- Right2Know's Mark Weinberg reports on ICASA's plans to commercialize the airwaves;
- Noor Nieftagodien of the Democratic Left Front (DLF) reflects on the contradictions of social movements;
- An interview with Public Protector Thuli Madonsela on the anti-corruption fight;
- Crystal Orderson reports on the Durban Film Festival.

Get your copy of Amandla! magazine at all major bookshops or subscribe online: http://www.amandlapublishers.co.za/home/subsribe-to-amandla

Visit our constantly growing website (www.amandla.org.za) or find us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/amandlamedia) or Twitter (www.twitter.com/AmandlaMedia).

We'd welcome any feedback or contributions: Contact our team on0214475770 or feed...@amandla.org.za

Amandla26COVERLOWRESsmall.jpg