Marching for free basic and affordable airtime and data, 12 June from 9h00 in Cape Town.

Mark Weinberg (gmail)

Jun 7, 2013, 5:24:52 AM6/7/13
to alternativ...@googlegroups.com, amandla_media, ma...@r2k.org.za
Dear Comrades & Friends,

An estimated 82.9% of people living in SA have a cell phone that can
enable them to access information, enjoy freedom of expression – and
organise for social justice as active citizens. Yet the high cost of
airtime and data undermines the democratising potential of the mobile
network. The Right2Know is launching a campaign to challenge the
profiteering of cell phone companies and government’s failure to
effectively regulate the cost of communication.

On Wednesday 12 June, the Right2Know Campaign will be marching in Cape
Town to call for free basic and affordable telecommunications. We will
hand memorandums to Vodacom, MTN, the independent communications
regulator (ICASA) and Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on
Communication to advance our right to communicate.

March details are as follows and the march pamphlet is attached:

DATE: Wednesday 12 June 2013
TIME: 9h00 to 13h00
STARTING: (Heerengracht street, opposite the CTICC, Cape Town)

SHOW SUPPORT: SMS “support” with your name & province or send a
please-call-me to 076 728 7009.

If you would like support in arranging transport to the march please
contact R2K’s Provincial Organiser, Nkwame Cedile on 021 447 1000 or
060 478 7563.

For more information on this campaign please visit www.r2k.org.za/right2call

Please share this information widely in your networks.

We hope we will see you and your comrades on the march.

Regards,
Mark

for R2K Western Cape

--