Energy Repeater Tower Of Fantasy

Waltruda Monie

Jun 30, 2024, 7:12:38 AM (2 days ago) Jun 30
to alulanra

I live in a draw, well below local average ground level. There are two repeaters I want to be able to use (because they're in the network my club uses). One is in the 440 band, thirty miles away but more than a thousand feet up in a pass, with a small mountain (a little lower than the repeater) directly between; the other, on 2m, is on a radio tower fifteen or so miles away, but with the ridge that forms one side of my draw blocking.

Short of installing my own repeater or antenna on a tower high enough to get over the surrounding terrain, is there a trick for hearing and being heard by either of these repeaters while at home? I have 8W of transmit power available on a 16" Nagoya antenna that replaced the original on my BaoFeng BF-F8HP.

Reaching a repeater 30 miles (48 km) away with a mountain in between, with a handheld, sounds nearly impossible. Reaching a repeater 15 miles away with a ridge in the way with a handheld sounds very difficult.

Regardless of where you live or what band you operate, the general rule is: "If you can't hear 'em, you can't work 'em." A secondary rule for repeaters is that if no one is there, it gets boring fast.

The first challenge is to listen for the repeaters. If you do, you are most of the way there. If not, verify that your rig is configured correctly by going near the repeater and listening. If you hear nothing, try transmitting your callsign and seeing if you can key the repeater. If you don't, step back and figure it out.

When you do hear the repeater, next determine where you can hear the repeater. Can you hear it from the top of the ridge? If yes, can you see the repeater and your QTH from the top of the ridge? Maybe you can estimate how tall an antenna support structure you would need to be in line-of-sight.

I don't know your terrain, but the first antenna I put up for my son was a vertical antenna in a tree. It included a counterpoise. Rather than screw it to a base, I pulled it up with a rope. It worked really well for repeaters.

I've been advised that if you decide to install a yagi for better gain, it should be mounted with the elements vertical rather than horizontal. Repeaters are usually vertically polarized, so the system gain is much high if the yagi is also vertically polarized.

The Vera area was under the jurisdiction of The Seventh Division of Helgaard before the Cataclysm, and lost contact with the main plane after the Cataclysm. The Desert Gobby makes up the main area of the expansion, an irradiated wilderness with the cyberpunk hub of Mirroria found in the heart of the desert.

Due to the failure of its local Vera Phantom Tower (an original energy repeater) after the Cataclysm, its space-time dimension cannot be calibrated on the main plane, nor can it obtain a stable supply of original energy. The intensity of the original energy radiation in the area is gradually decreasing, except for some heavily polluted areas.

A dual pistol weapon with origins in Ostia. While repeaters can land shots at longer ranges, they do considerably more damage up close. Reloading near a Behemoth draws aether into the repeaters' barrels, temporarily empowering shots and strengthening dropped mines and buffs.

The Twin Suns Grip: Dash in a direction, becoming invulnerable for the duration. After dodging through an attack, fire 6 mini-shots that always crit. While in Mag Bomb mode, fires 2 Mag Bombs instead.

Basic Shots
Deals damage to the Behemoth from afar. Deals less damage at greater range.
Skillshot Ability
Fires a skillshot in a direction. Differs depending on the Chamber equipped.
Thrown Ability
Throws an object forward a short distance. Differs depending on the Grip equipped.
Reload
Refills the ammo used by Basic Shots.
Empowered Reload
Reloading close to the Behemoth absorbs some of its energy, empowering shots and abilities for a short period.

About three weeks ago, I got a call from the team that works at World Vision. They were looking for a solution to give internet connectivity to communities which would allow them to get connected to the rest of the world. With internet connectivity, the community will be able to access government services, access educational content and sell some of beautiful art work abroad.

At first I thought it would be pretty simple, get into a car and drive down. Now if you have been to Africa on safari, you know that you are going quite far if you are taking off in a land cruiser with two 90 Litre tanks. This did not discourage me as I love seeing what the country has to offer.

Kisapuk is a very beautiful place. I assure you pictures would not do it any justice. The community runs a school, greenhouse and a small market to sell their produce. Besides being a beautiful location, the people in the community are warm and welcoming, and they showed us a great deal of hospitality in our short time there.

If you grew up here, you have probably have heard stories from your parents or grandparents about walking long distances to get to school. I always thought these were amazing fables to make them look like super heroes. I must admit that reality dawned on me when there. School is a couple of kilometres from home, exams are done under the trees if you are lucky to get one. Worst of all you are detached from what is happening all over the world.

In Kenya, we have come to realise that most places with sparse population have either repeaters or cell towers that only offer EDGE. So I knew what to expect. For those of you who do not know, a repeater mostly carries voice technology. In some regions you would get some that carry data. Sadly in this region you would mostly get those carrying EDGE.

Luckily we understand our environment very well and I had carried just the right set of tools for the job. In this region only one cell carrier worked on this and after sometime I was able to get connectivity. There is nothing in this world that can relate to getting connectivity when out there. The ability to see something inspiring, share an idea with others, and get research material as and when you need it is mind blowing.

However, to serve a whole community on such a connection is close to insanity. Simply put I think this is not good enough. Time was now running out, we had to go to Mtito Andei and it was now 5 in the evening. I however left promising to get something a much better for them.

Back to our geography basics. Mtito is about 270 KM from where we are. At this point, the question was how would we make it there in good time. The only thing on my mind was a decent meal and a shower because we would be off to an early start the next morning.

If you know anything about our team, one fact is clear, we will always try new things. So I had been told there is a route that goes through the bush with basically trees or communities to mark where we were and thus where to turn.

We somehow manage to make it through a whole tank of fuel in the bush. We made it to the town of Sultan Hamud. Which was impressive as we only got lost twice, taking tracks in the dusk, but somehow still finding our way to town. We then proceeded to Mtito Andei .

If there is one thing that is clear, we can not take a sit back and wait for the mobile operators to realise that they need to provide country-wide 3G if we hope to get the rest of the country truly connected to the internet. We will need to come up with a solution that can work for us here and now. There are some ideas we have been working on in the office and I think it would be nice to get them into the last stage of testing and release them into the field. I can say at the most basic level, content caching is involved. The cost of fetching content from the cloud every time is too high especially timewise.

The sad reality is there is a whole generation not being exposed to what is happening all over the world in terms of content. My biggest concern is educational content. This is not fair in terms of having a level playing field.

With the recent development of the BRCK+Pi, which marries a RaspberryPi + hard drive + 8-hour battery, to the BRCK in a simple package (full specs below), it gave us a chance to think through what could happen beyond just connectivity in tough environments. After all, with this extra computing power it turns the device into a remote microserver, where you can cache content locally and do stuff even when in an offline mode.

It turns out that to get to their camps you have to drive through the Samburu National Wildlife Reserve, which is amazing and has plenty of animals of all sorts. We saw everything from crocs and elephant to Grevy zebra and oryx. As fun as that was, it took us 1.5 hours to get through the park and many kilometers beyond to get to their camps. These teams are in real bush country with no towers anywhere around them.

d3342ee215