Apple Tv Mac Family Sharing

Waltruda Monie

Jun 30, 2024, 7:30:26 AM (2 days ago) Jun 30
to alulanra

Hi, I have Family Sharing set up with my wife and two children. Both children have Content & Privacy Restrictions set up. My Son often turns off Location Sharing, mainly when he's doing something he shouldn't be.

At the moment if you go into Screen Time > Family Member > Content & Privacy Restrictions, Share My Location is set to "Don't Allow". Does this mean "don't allow changes on the family member's iOS device", or "don't allow location sharing"?

Many thanks for your reply. Those are indeed the settings that have been applied to his iCloud account, however he is still managing to find a way of turning it off so that I cannot see his location in Find My.

We were wondering if you enabled the setting you asked about in your first post? You mentioned the other settings were enabled, but didn't call out that one specifically again. You'll want that enabled and set to "Don't Allow." For more clarification on what that means:

If you think your child might know your passcode and disabling the setting themselves on one of your devices, you could consider changing it using the following steps in Use a passcode with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

When you select "Don't Allow" you are locking the settings for Location Sharing. When "Don't Allow" is on your passcode will be needed in order to make changing to this setting. For more details check out this article:

It does sound like everything is set as it should be so your child should not be able to adjust that setting without your passcode. Just to make 100% sure, have you changed your passcode and tested the issue? If not, please do so now.

If you have and the issue persists, further assistance may be needed. We want to make sure you reach the right team for help with this behavior, so we recommend that you contact Apple Support directly. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: Get Support.

The only reason it might not work seems to be if your adult son was listed as being under 13 years old... you could check his Apple ID / date of birth is correct. (You would need to contact Apple Support to remove anyone listed as being under 13 years old.)

I had to get my ex off of the family sharing across devices and it was not going through on all of them by simply removing from Family Sharing on the iPhones. I did multiple restarts on the devices and called to Apple but nothing was resolving it. BUT I finally figured it out:

*** You could possibly do this on the iPhone/iPad by opening Apple Music --> click your initials on the top right (takes you to your Account) --> Manage Family --> takes you to Family Sharing in Settings. But this may end up having the same problem we all had. So I suggest going on your computer and managing it that way as that is the only thing that worked after multiple restarts of all devices and calls to Apple. ***

I've just turned on Family sharing but the Family Calendar is not visible or did not get created ? (the family organiser account is on an iPad Air 2 and only 1 other family member using an iPhone6 and iPad Mini 2).

As you said, it should have been automatically created. Check the calendars list by opening the calendar app, tapping Calendars at the bottom then see if the Family calendar is listed in the iCloud section. If it is, tap it so it is checked, then tap Done.

I don't want to create a seperate shared Calendar in this instance. I wanted to use the Family Sharing facility to ensure compatibility with future changes and adjustments to the product in the future.

I was having the same problem - Family Calendar not showing up on a device after setup of Family Sharing. Tried lots of stuff but finally powered down and restarted the device and it showed up just fine.

It just kind of resolved itself with time. After I setup the family calendar on each machine, I just powered down and up each device and it all started working fine. But it didn't work until I did the powerdown/up.

I'm on my father's family sharing plan and whenever I try to buy something on the app store, it prompts me to pay with his card. However, I'm an adult and pay for my own things. Is there any way for me to use my credit card on the app store without leaving family sharing?

I've seen old threads suggesting setting up a secondary apple id with your credit card and gifting yourself the item you're buying. I'd like to avoid this if possible; I have too many various accounts to begin with.

"When you turn on purchase sharing, everyone in your family gets access to apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books that family members buy. The family organizer is billed for family members' purchases"

The second phrase is a bit over-simplified because others can still pay for their own items, they just have to use personal account balance to do so. Turning on purchase sharing simply activates the feature whereby if a family member does not have adequate personal balance to pay for something then the organizer's payment method (e.g., credit card) will be charged.

2. If a family member does not have enough personal Apple Account balance, any excess will be charged to the Family Organizer's primary payment method (usually a card of some kind). The Organizer's personal balance will not be used for purchases made by other family members. If it cannot bill the primary payment method, the Organizer will need to make another payment method the primary method.

I am the host of the family subscription and one family member who recently came back form oversea joined my family subscription. She now has access to iCloud but not Apple Music. All other members of family have access to both iCloud and Apple music. The status in Family sharing on my iPhone says she has access to Apple music and iCloud but the access status on her iPhone only shows iCloud access. We tried everything we can find on the internet. Can someone help us please? She cant listen to music. She had her subscription when she was in oversea but that subscription was canceled about a week ago.

Follow this resource for some help with this issue: If you can't find your family's shared content - Apple Support. It has some great steps like making sure that the settings are correct for Family Sharing and to try some troubleshooting steps like signing out and back in with the Apple ID.

With confirming the country and region are the same along with verifying the family member has no active subscription impeding the ability to share Apple Music, the next step would be to remove and re-add the family member to the group. You can find the steps for removing someone from your family group listed below. These steps can also be found in the following article.

Once the individual has been removed from the family sharing group, you can follow the steps for inviting an individual in the section titled "Invite people to join your family" of the following article.

Hi. Does anyone know a way to work around the 6 person limit for the family sharing with apple? I was trying to create an apple id and add my youngest child to our family sharing plan so I could use the screen time function to limit activity and to share media purchases between all of our kids. Apparently, Apple doesnt like families with more than 4 children. Having two children sharing an apple id is a pain when trying to message one another and to track device usage. I would have to create a separate adult apple id just to add my youngest as another child account. That would mean I need 9 apple ids for 7 of us in the family. I spent thousands of dollars on media through apple over the past couple years. I would need to rebuy everything i've already bought in order for the child not allowed in my family sharing plan to be able to access them as well.

At this time, there isn't a way to add additional family members to the Family Sharing group for more than 6. If you'd like to see this change in the future, we encourage you to submit Product Feedback.

Hi gretmttw! My dad and I have had the same problem today. I just split off of his account and created my own Apple ID since we were drowning in issues related to sharing the same account. When we set up family sharing, the organizer name (his account) was showing as my name. After struggling with each of the solutions you mentioned, we solved it by going to Contacts > My Card on the Organizer's phone. Delete the contact info for the organizer and recreate the My Card contact. Make sure to include your primary Apple ID email address on the new contact and the name should change to match your new contact. Hope this helps!

d3342ee215