Tomorrow: Shabbat Morning Services @ 10 AM

Altshul

Dec 27, 2019, 11:01:26 AM12/27/19
to Altshul
TL;DR: you can still Sign up for the winter Shabbaton!  Shabbat is starting later.
Upcoming at Altshul
  • Dec 24: Evening of Volunteering and Drinks, 9 PM
  • Dec 28: Shabbat Morning Services, 10 AM
  • January 10-11: Shabbaton with R' Aviva Richman: The Audacity of Prayer
  • Jan 25: Shabbat Morning Services, 10 AM
Altshul regularly meets at Beth Elohim in the chapel at 10:00am for Shabbat morning servicesLocation is CBE, 274 Garfield Place. Kindershul starts at the beginning of the Torah service. View the extended Altshul Minyan calendar.

Shabbat Info
  • Shabbat starts at 4:18 pm Friday evening
  • Shabbat ends at 5:21 pm on Saturday night
  • Parsha: Miketz
    • Highlights: more Joseph! This week his dream interpreting gets him out of prison, and all the way to the top as Pharaoh's adviser. His brothers come to ask for help surviving the famine that he predicted, and he plants a goblet in his brother Benjamin's belongings to accuse him of stealing. Rigged systems are just so effective.

Altshul Announcements.
  • Sign up now! Winter Shabbaton on The Audacity of Prayer
    Altshul's Winter Shabbaton with Rabbi Aviva Richman, January 10 - 11, and will include Friday night davenning and dinner with learning, as well as Saturday morning services, followed by lunch and more learning with our visiting scholar.
    Sign up here!

  • B'nei Mitzvah Tutoring
    If you are available for b'nei mitzvah tutoring and would like your name included on a community list to be accessed by the Park Slope/Prospect Heights/Crown Heights communities, please fill out this form
    .  We will put together a list to share with families in the Luria, PHS, CKI, Altshul communities.  Tutors will set their own rates and make arrangements directly with families.

  • The Intergenerational Beit-Midrash is back!
  • Larry Magarik will be teaching five sessions on Darchei Tefilah. Expect hevruta and shuir focusing on the meaning (rather than mechanics) of prayer. These learning sessions, accompanied by a light pot-luck lunch, will be held at community member homes after Kiddush on Jan. 25, March 14, April 25, and May 9.
    Serious learners of all ages are welcome. Generally 10-years old and up has been most successful.
    Please email miriam...@hotmail.com if you are interested in joining this warm, intelligent, and tasty study community.

  • Get involved with Altshul!
    To join the team of greeters at Altshul services, email logi...@altshul.org.
    To sign up to give a drash about the weekly Torah portion during services, email scoop...@yahoo.com.
    To join the lifecycle team and help Altshulers in need of support, email life...@altshul.org.
    To join the parents list-serv, email ki...@altshul.org.
    Have a question or concern?  Contact the Altshul Leadership Team by emailing in...@altshul.org.

Community Announcements
  • Hadar Daf Yomi Siyyum, Sunday, January 5th

    January 4, 2020 marks the completion of a 7 year Daf Yomi Cycle. Join Hadar’s celebration of this tremendous achievement with an egalitarian day of learning on Sunday, January 5th from 1:00-4:45 pm at 190 Amsterdam Ave. We will study text, hear from those who have committed themselves to learning during this cycle, and together commence the next round of learning!

    We  hope that you will join us for this celebratory day of learning. For a schedule of the day, please head to www.hadar.org/events/daf-yomi-siyyum.

    There is no learning background necessary!

    This event is $10 in advance, and $18 at the door, and is open to the public.

  • Hadar National Shabbaton
    Join Hadar for our second ever National Shabbaton, which will take place at the Hilton Stamford January 31-February 2. We would love to have a strong core of people like you, who are living out our mission on a day to day basis.  We look forward to creating a space where you can connect with other people who are davening and building community as an independent minyan.
    If you have any questions, please be in touch with my colleagues, Becca and Tali, who are spearheading the Shabbaton, at national...@hadar.org.
Join and post your own community announcements on the  Brownstone Brooklyn Jewish Community Discussion Group on Facebook. Like our Altshul Facebook Page.