Winter Shabbaton THIS WEEKEND!

Altshul

Jan 9, 2020, 11:10:40 PM1/9/20
to Altshul
TL;DR: See below for shabbaton details & register here!
Upcoming at Altshul
  • Jan 10 - 11: Audacity of Prayer Winter Shabbaton
    • Jan 10: Friday Evening Services, 6 PM followed by dinner and learning with Rabbi Aviva Richman
    • Jan 11: Shabbat Morning Services, 10 AM, followed by Lunch and Learn with Rabbi Aviva Richman

  • Jan 25: Shabbat Morning Services, 10 AM
  • Feb 8: Shabbat Morning Services, 10 AM
  • Feb 22: Shabbat Morning Services, 10 AM
Altshul regularly meets at Beth Elohim in the chapel at 10:00am for Shabbat morning servicesLocation is CBE, 274 Garfield Place. Kindershul starts at the beginning of the Torah service. View the extended Altshul Minyan calendar.

Shabbaton
  • Altshul/CBE Winter Shabbaton
This Weekend is the Altshul/CBE Winter Shabbaton! Join us on Friday night and Shabbat day for services, followed by a catered meal and learning with Rabbi Aviva Richman. Register Here!

Friday evening:
Kabalat Shabbat/Maariv: 6-7 PM in the Boardroom
Followed by kiddush in the Rotunda, dinner and learning. The learning session will begin toward the end of dinner around 8:15.

Friday evening learning:
”The Audacity of Prayer”
The central Jewish prayer is often called the “Silent Devotion.” Yet, when we take a closer look at Hannah as a biblical role model, prayer is about speaking up. We will explore prayer as an act of great courage and profound critique.

Shabbat morning:
Shacharit: 10 AM in the Chapel
Kindershul: 11 AM in Room 433
Drop off supervised play in the lower gym 11-12:30
Kiddush and Lunch: 1 PM in the Rotunda, followed by learning

 Shabbat day learning:
“Singing Through Chaos”
We will take a deep dive into messy Talmudic stories and Midrash about the role of song and silence in navigating a world of chaos. How can song carry us through the tumult of joy, sadness and confusion that life throws our way? When is it time to stop singing? Is song meant to settle us or sometimes meant to shake us up? Through stories that highlight the role of song in some of the most foundational moments in our canon, we will probe our own relationship to song and silence in our lives and times.

Shabbat Info
  • Shabbat starts at 4:30 pm Friday evening
  • Shabbat ends at 5:33 pm on Saturday night
  • Parsha: Vayechi
    • Highlights: Jacob meets his grandchildren, blesses them, and passes on. This is the first instance in the torah of grandparents and grandchildren interacting!

Altshul Announcements.
  • B'nei Mitzvah Tutoring
    If you are available for b'nei mitzvah tutoring and would like your name included on a community list to be accessed by the Park Slope/Prospect Heights/Crown Heights communities, please fill out this form
    .  We will put together a list to share with families in the Luria, PHS, CKI, Altshul communities.  Tutors will set their own rates and make arrangements directly with families.

  • The Intergenerational Beit-Midrash is back!
  • Larry Magarik will be teaching five sessions on Darchei Tefilah. Expect hevruta and shuir focusing on the meaning (rather than mechanics) of prayer. These learning sessions, accompanied by a light pot-luck lunch, will be held at community member homes after Kiddush on Jan. 25, March 14, April 25, and May 9.
    Serious learners of all ages are welcome. Generally 10-years old and up has been most successful.
    Please email miriam...@hotmail.com if you are interested in joining this warm, intelligent, and tasty study community.

  • Get involved with Altshul!
    To join the team of greeters at Altshul services, email logi...@altshul.org.
    To sign up to give a drash about the weekly Torah portion during services, email scoop...@yahoo.com.
    To join the lifecycle team and help Altshulers in need of support, email life...@altshul.org.
    To join the parents list-serv, email ki...@altshul.org.
    Have a question or concern?  Contact the Altshul Leadership Team by emailing in...@altshul.org.

Community Announcements

  • Mazel Tov
    Mazel tov to Rivka and Aron Cohen on the birth of a baby boy! To prepare a meal for Rivka and Aron, please sign up here: https://mealtrain.com/m1k766

  • Hebrew Language Meetup
    Tired of reading the subtitles during Fauda? Planning a vacation to Israel? Join this Hebrew-language meetup in Brooklyn to practice your language skills with neighbors in a relaxed environment over Israeli and kosher nosh. It is facilitated by a native Israeli and all levels are welcome.
    Day: First and third Tuesday of the month. Mark your calendars for Jan 7 & 21, Feb 4 & 18, Mar 3 & 17 Time: 7:30-9:00PM
    Fee: $5 (if that’s an obstacle, please be in touch)
    Message Naomi Barth (nba...@gmail.com) for exact location and to RSVP
  • Gan Katan Preschool Open House
    Join the Gan Family open house & tour and learn more about our premiere boutique Reggio-inspired Jewish preschool, while providing a warm and creative nurturing environment.
    Wednesday, Jan 15, 7:30 PM. 797 Sterling Place. (Bet Rogers/Nostrand Ave).
    RSVP to brownstonegankatan@gmail.com Ages 18 Months - 4.5 YO.
    To learn more visit: www.Gankatan.com or Instagram: @brownstonegankatan

  • Eden Village Camp Info Session, Feb 2
    Eden Village Camp is a farm-to-table, Jewish, organic sleepaway camp in the Hudson Valley. Campers learn about herbalism, cooking, animal care, farming, art, music, spirituality, survival skills, and more – all the traditional camp activities plus a joyful environmental ethos, innovative back-to-the-land spirituality, and a culture of kindness that is the true magic of the place. There is an informational session in Brooklyn coming up in February:
    • February 2nd at 1pm we'll be in Crown Heights running a goat milk soap making workshop and Eden Village Camp info session
    RSVP here, and we'll reach out with the address.
Join and post your own community announcements on the  Brownstone Brooklyn Jewish Community Discussion Group on Facebook. Like our Altshul Facebook Page.