ALT.NET Story Night is Coming to Town!

Shay Friedman

Jan 10, 2017, 1:03:30 AM1/10/17
to altnet...@googlegroups.com
Good morning ALT.NETers!

As promised, in 2017 we're gonna meet more often than in 2016, and to begin - ALT.NET Story Night is happening on February 7th at Citi Innovation LABS (Kiryat Atidim).

What is ALT.NET Story Night?
We're gonna keep the short sessions idea (30 minutes each) but this time, the sessions will have a specific "theme" -  case studies! case studies for everybody!
This means that the sessions will roughly follow these points:
  • Project name and brief description
  • Chosen technologies
  • Architecture
  • What was good?
  • What was bad?
  • Q&A and discussion
OK! What Now?
We need YOU to send session proposals. This time, because I expect this kind of sessions to start discussions, we will only have 3 sessions.

So get these proposals rolling! The session voting will start in exactly a week from now (17/1).

Keep rockin'!
Shay.
-------------------------
Shay Friedman | Co-Founder and CTO @ Pickspace

Shay Friedman

Jan 10, 2017, 2:50:06 AM1/10/17
to altnet...@googlegroups.com
Ok ok, you guys are shy so I'll start with the first proposal - I can talk about the site I was running during צוק איתן - Red Color Map Website.
I think the best title for this talk would be "OMG rockets are falling all over Israel!!! Oh oops it's just Shay's fake test data".

:)

Uri Goldstein

Jan 10, 2017, 7:36:21 AM1/10/17
to altnetisrael
Hi Shay,

First off, big big thanks for driving yet another Alt.Net Israel meetup forward. You're the man!

Second thing - You get up real early in the morning. 9:50am? I salute you. :P

I can suggest a case study for my project building a computer controlled traffic light based on Arduino. Not quite .net but might still fit the bill?

Best,
Uri

Lior Friedman

Jan 10, 2017, 1:39:08 PM1/10/17
to altnet...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

So I can do one:
I'm working on a project for a small startup which are doing something in the tourism field
(basically its a kayak kind of thing)

its a pure .NET and there are some interesting technologies involved.
What I also would like to focus on is the relationship between the business side and the technical people.
The context we are working on it is as external "team" that supply the work (yes we are the cheap outsourced developers on this project), so part of the talk will probably discuss how does it feel to be the side which is managed remotely.
(should shed some light on how the people we use as outsource - india, Ukraine,... feel)

a Good title should probably be:
"So you thought that outsourcing is hard? come and hear how the other side feel"

Lior Friedman

logopsw3

Lior Friedman Co-Founder

Shaul Ha-Melech 10, Kiryat Ono, Mob. +972-52-8333660

Website www.practicalsw.com

Shay Friedman

Jan 17, 2017, 6:03:56 AM1/17/17
to altnet...@googlegroups.com
Last day to propose sessions!

omri fima

Jan 17, 2017, 3:24:22 PM1/17/17
to altnet...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I can do a session about how we do Feature-Switches\Gradual-Rollout\AB Experiments.
and the power (and pains) it brought to our R&D.

Amit Goldshmidt

Jan 21, 2017, 7:46:41 AM1/21/17
to altnetisrael
Hello,
Hope I am not too late to join this party.

I can do a session about how we built a cross company performance culture in order to scale our site to support millions of people and the crazy e-commerce holidays traffic.

Abstract of this talk:
A few years ago if you could crash our site by refreshing it too many times. In a matter of a year we built tools, measurements and the most important secret sauce – CULTURE that eventually enable us to provide one of the fastest experiences out there. In this talk I will provide a glimpse to steps you too can take in order to make your organization performance savvy and your website super-fast.

  • Performance – say what? Why is that important? Why should you bother?
  • End to end performance – how fast are your users “feeling” your website is? How to measure an “experience” performance? How to make it “feel faster?
  • Load endurance, stability and resiliency – How to make your site not only fast but also endurable to massive load during pick times and how to endure and sustain failures
  • Culture Hacks – probably the most important factor – providing the best tools and progress won’t get you anywhere without the right culture – how can you make your entire organization become performance savvy?

If it could still be relevant I would be happy to be added to the voting list.

Thanks,
Amit Goldshmidt

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/altnetisrael.

Shay Friedman

Jan 21, 2017, 7:53:00 AM1/21/17
to altnet...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Amit, I added it to the list so if anyone who's voted already is interested in this session, open the survey once again and vote for it!

Voting takes place here: https://goo.gl/forms/ugW07NwuJIcAtKVs2