How do you handle package management

Nikos C. Baxevanis

Jul 26, 2010, 7:51:02 AM7/26/10
to ALTNET
We are working on a large scale project currently using (among other
libraries) Caliburn, NHibernate, Rhino Mocks, Rhino ServiceBus and
Windsor.
The biggest issue is package management. We would like to build all of
our 3rd party libraries with the latest releases from trunk.

e.g.: Fluent NHibernate 1.1.0.0 has a dependency on NHibernate 2.1.2,
but since we are using NHibernate 3.0.0.1001 we would like to build
Fluent NHibernate against this version.

Is there a tool that can automate this process?

We have already tried Horn and Bricks.
-Horn is not 100% working yet i.e. it cannot build Castle.Core from
trunk.
-Bricks has a very limited repository and compiles the project without
getting it's dependencies from trunk.

Ayende Rahien

Jul 29, 2010, 3:07:29 AM7/29/10
to ALTNET
I strongly suggest taking a look at Nu
It is based on Ruby Gems, and it is pretty sweet.

On Jul 26, 2:51 pm, "Nikos C. Baxevanis" <nikos.baxeva...@gmail.com>

Jorje

Jul 29, 2010, 3:37:49 AM7/29/10
to ALTNET
I am not sure that Nu or any other ruby-gems like solution fits the
case here. I think the question wasn't about a central way of managing
the existing binaries offered by the various project. The point is to
be able to build a library with the latest and greatest. The only tool
capable
of that is Horn, Bricks is not really what you're asking. While it's
not mature yet (Horn) I would give it a second try, I see a huge
potential in it.

George Nikolaropoulos

Jul 29, 2010, 3:55:00 AM7/29/10
to alt...@googlegroups.com
I think that any ruby-gems like solution is not what you are looking for.
All these projects (Bricks, Nu, ruby-gems etc) are just managing the existing binaries.
If you want to build against the latest and greatest then your only chance is Horn. I am
aware that it's not mature yet but unless you want to build all these external projects on
your own you have to stick with it.

Charlie Poole

Jul 29, 2010, 5:39:16 PM7/29/10
to alt...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone published a point-by-point comparison of the various .NET
packaging projects?

Charlie

Sergio Pereira

Jul 29, 2010, 8:47:00 PM7/29/10
to alt...@googlegroups.com
Just to look at it from a different perspective, wouldn't it be risky to keep building with the latest of each 3rd party libraries, especially from trunk? It just rubs me the wrong way seeing a "large scale" project taking that much risk in.

I know I'm dodging the question. You already tried Horn (wasn't it declared dead?) and that's about the only thing I've heard.

Sergio Pereira