IMASI 8080 kit?

brian...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2024, 10:04:31 PMJul 1
to Altair-Duino
Hello!

I have one older and one newer Altairduino kit and absolutely love them. I'm still thinking about picking up the Kenbak-1 kit, but I'm also really curious about what other kits might be in the works?

Perhaps an IMASI 8080 kit? I'll be honest that I don't know much about the IMASI other than it was made as a clone of the Altair, but it has a really gorgeous front panel!

It seems like someone going by TheHighNibble has made a kit based on a ESP32, however it doesn't seem like he's very active and I'm not sure if he's selling them anymore. I'm half considering figuring out how to get the front panel made so I can assemble my own kit.VersaTerms

Mark Cohen

Jul 1, 2024, 11:58:22 PMJul 1
to brian...@gmail.com, altair...@googlegroups.com

I have his kit from the most recent run. I already assembled it but I made so many of these things that I have no room to display it. It actually has wifi to connect.

Tom Wilson

Jul 2, 2024, 12:06:36 AMJul 2
to Altair-Duino
The High Nibble is still selling the IMSAI 8080. He just stopped using the Google group because of all the spam. The IMSAI 8080 Replica is a fantastic kit, and i recommend every Blinkenlight lover get one of those, along with the bolt-on terminal kit.

Here's the address for their forum, in case you want to inquire about production runs: https://github.com/orgs/thehighnibble/discussions

Karl Schuneman

Jul 2, 2024, 12:25:11 AMJul 2
to Altair-Duino
Mine is currently at the post office waiting for me to pickup.

Richard Deane

Jul 2, 2024, 2:24:33 AMJul 2
to Tom Wilson, Altair-Duino
The highnibble (Dave McNaughton in Australia) IMSAI  can also be used as a Cromemco, the only hardware difference is the front panel.

Thomas Niccum

Jul 2, 2024, 11:02:58 AMJul 2
to Altair-Duino
Also check out Oscar's fantastic PiDP-8, PiDP-10 and PiDP-11 kits.  I've built the 8 and 11 and have the 10 ready to build.
The amount of software available is pretty impressive... numerous operating systems, DEC user group programs, compilers, etc.

I learned assembly language programming on the PDP-11.  Very fun to revive some of that.

udo....@freenet.de

Jul 2, 2024, 2:30:58 PMJul 2
to Altair-Duino
Richard Deane schrieb am Dienstag, 2. Juli 2024 um 08:24:33 UTC+2:
The highnibble (Dave McNaughton in Australia) IMSAI  can also be used as a Cromemco, the only hardware difference is the front panel.

No it is not. The IMSA emulation is filled with mostly IMSA hardware, while the Cromemeco Z-1 is filled with only Cromemco hardware. Both are totally different systems and run totally different software.
For example Cromemco Cromix, their implementation of UNIX V7 for the Z80, will only run on
Cromemco hardware and sources for it got lost.

Tom Wilson

Jul 2, 2024, 2:44:35 PMJul 2
to udo....@freenet.de, Altair-Duino
I think Richard means the actual hardware for the IMSAI Replica, not the emulator code.

Whether you use the Cromemco or the IMSAI emulators, the Replica hardware is the same: Same ESP32, same switch panel, same terminal board. The only difference is what firmware and emulation code you load up,

udo....@freenet.de

Jul 2, 2024, 3:40:19 PMJul 2
to Altair-Duino
wils...@gmail.com schrieb am Dienstag, 2. Juli 2024 um 20:44:35 UTC+2:
I think Richard means the actual hardware for the IMSAI Replica, not the emulator code.

Whether you use the Cromemco or the IMSAI emulators, the Replica hardware is the same: Same ESP32, same switch panel, same terminal board. The only difference is what firmware and emulation code you load up,

Ah OK, yes this is correct, one could put the Cromemco firmware into the IMSAI kit and it
would work, the physical hardware is identical.

Richard Deane

Jul 3, 2024, 2:18:54 AMJul 3
to udo....@freenet.de, Altair-Duino
Apologies , poorly worded. The only difference between the HW kits is the front panel. As you correctly mention, and I foolishly misworded the real hardware for IMSAI and Cromemco is very different.

udo....@freenet.de

Jul 3, 2024, 4:12:32 AMJul 3
to Altair-Duino
Richard Deane schrieb am Mittwoch, 3. Juli 2024 um 08:18:54 UTC+2:
Apologies , poorly worded. The only difference between the HW kits is the front panel. As you correctly mention, and I foolishly misworded the real hardware for IMSAI and Cromemco is very different.

No problem, should be clear now.