PCGET

55 views
Skip to first unread message

markepi...@gmail.com

unread,
Sep 12, 2026, 10:27:44 PMSep 12
to Altair-Duino
Hey yall',
Im running an Experimeter 2.5 with hansel's IO board and floppy controller.  Im using extraPutty and when I try to do a PCGET using the xmodem transfer feature I get the progress bar with a reasonable packet #.  But at completion of the packets, the transfer continues and the packet count continues to increase beyond the initial packet count.  I have to cancel the transfer.  I've let it run 2x and 4x beyond the initial count (maybe the packet count is off by a power of 2) to no avail. I've also tried xmodem 1k.
I've used PCGET on HDSK03 as well as from DISK01.  Both behaved the same.  Is there a setting on the Altair or extraPutty that I don't know about?
Argh !!!!!
Thanks
Mark
Message has been deleted

Richard Deane

unread,
Sep 15, 2026, 10:38:08 AMSep 15
to John Galt, Altair-Duino
I think it is the 128 byte records that get padded, not the actual sectors. Reads and writes at bdos api are 128, but they get blocked into sectors.

On Tue, 15 Sept 2026, 15:30 John Galt, <furba...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'll bite,

I'm remembering.... the files have to fill up a complete sector and CP/M depending on how the one you have has been messed with over time may have very large sectors to fill like 4K worth on the Hard disk images.

when the the file is uploaded and falls short of filling a sector it has to pad it and you get the last packets of junk filling up the space.

you get this situation where you send a plain text file and after the EOF you can see a bunch of stuff repeated from above the EOF. it usually does not cause an issue. on the modern computer side when you send and receive things it starts to look like corruption. usually i hand edit something to the PC or MAC to clean it up for the future.
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Altair-Duino" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to altair-duino...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/altair-duino/ff135583-6d68-4582-8cc6-33967596a386n%40googlegroups.com.

Richard Deane

unread,
Sep 15, 2026, 10:40:40 AMSep 15
to John Galt, Altair-Duino
It broke the Ada libraries, my hexdump program  of cpm files had problems because eof was in that partial record. (GNU Ada on Windows and Linux)
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
Message has been deleted
0 new messages