Altair-duino and Teletype ASR-33

Enrico Pozzobon

4:00 AM (6 hours ago) 4:00 AM
to Altair-Duino
Hello everyone, a few years ago I bought an Altair-duino emulator kit. I set up the machine so that the DB9 port works at 110 baud 8n2, and using the "send hex intel file..." function, I can send a test hex file (kill-the-bit) from my PC to the emulator with Teraterm and run it successfully! I tried connecting my Teletype ASR-33 instead of the PC (with the same settings as the PC), but when I start the HEX file transfer mode, the teletype correctly prints the message "Receiving intel hex data...." and then writes ERROR! and stops. If I connect the PC to the teletype, the data passes bidirectionally, as I managed to generate the kill-the-bit punched tape by sending the hex file to it via Teraterm.... Why does the Altair emulator go into error even before I start the transmission from the teletype? Any ideas? Enrico.

Patrick Linstruth

6:08 AM (3 hours ago) 6:08 AM
to Altair-Duino
Does the teletype use RS-232 or current loop?

On Jul 22, 2024, at 4:00 AM, Enrico Pozzobon <iw3...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello everyone, a few years ago I bought an Altair-duino emulator kit. I set up the machine so that the DB9 port works at 110 baud 8n2, and using the "send hex intel file..." function, I can send a test hex file (kill-the-bit) from my PC to the emulator with Teraterm and run it successfully! I tried connecting my Teletype ASR-33 instead of the PC (with the same settings as the PC), but when I start the HEX file transfer mode, the teletype correctly prints the message "Receiving intel hex data...." and then writes ERROR! and stops. If I connect the PC to the teletype, the data passes bidirectionally, as I managed to generate the kill-the-bit punched tape by sending the hex file to it via Teraterm.... Why does the Altair emulator go into error even before I start the transmission from the teletype? Any ideas? Enrico.

Enrico Pozzobon

8:15 AM (1 hour ago) 8:15 AM
to Altair-Duino
The teletypewriter has local loop connectivity similar to the HP 2752A configuration. Therefore, I am connecting it using an external local-loop to RS232 converter.