Official Announcement

Chris Davis

May 6, 2024, 11:10:10 AMMay 6
to Altair-Duino
Mike has put this on his website, so this is official:
Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 10.01.53 AM.png

Mike wanted to stop producing these cases, but we agreed they were important to the hobby, so I'm going to take over the production of them.  I'm going to be modifying a future version of the Altair-Duino to fit this case, and I'm working on an "Altair-blue" metal frame to fit the current Experimenter kit.

My goal is to have some ready by VCF Midwest in September.

John Galt

May 6, 2024, 11:15:47 AMMay 6
to Altair-Duino
oh cool. eagerly waiting for news.

Tom Lake

May 6, 2024, 11:20:20 AMMay 6
to Altair-Duino
Oh, great! Another reason to delay my trip to Europe! The AltairDuino would be a great thing to have in the Clone Case, especially if you offer the 8800b front panel.
We'll be watching you with great interest!

Chris Davis

May 6, 2024, 11:53:37 AMMay 6
to Altair-Duino
Tom, I'm going to hold you to this! :)
Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 10.52.48 AM.png

Tom Wilson

May 6, 2024, 11:55:31 AMMay 6
to Tom Lake, Altair-Duino
Well, this works out great for everyone! I've been wanting an Altairduino in Mike's case for a long time, and now it's going to happen!

Not only is it great to have a full size case, but with room inside these cases for a "sleeper" PC, there's a lot you can do with the full size cabinet.

Patrick Linstruth

Tom Lake

May 6, 2024, 2:15:22 PMMay 6
to Altair-Duino
It would probably take a little trimming of the original. The Clone case is about 0.25" (0.635 cm) narrower than the real Altair. There would be other mounting considerations as well but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Chris Davis

May 6, 2024, 2:15:58 PMMay 6
to Altair-Duino
I can't be sure because I don't have an original Altair front panel, but the original seems to be 6mm wider and 3mm taller than the clone.  Also, the clone front panel has six bolts pressed into it.  My best guess is that it would be difficult to use an original front panel in the clone case.

Tom Lake

May 6, 2024, 2:16:23 PMMay 6
to Altair-Duino
I consider myself held! I'm holding my debit card as we speak. :)

John Kennedy

May 7, 2024, 11:49:24 AMMay 7
to Altair-Duino
Excellent news! I have one of these (which I've used to house a collection of S-100 cards) and it's a beauty. It's massive, so you can store a lot of stuff in there too ;-)