The Spill #1 1/4

spil...@cml.com

May 20, 1994, 5:15:06 PM5/20/94

Number 1

The
********* ********* ********* * *
* * * * * *
********* ********* * * *
* * * * *
********* * ********* ******** *********
M A G A Z I N E !

MUSIC NEWS AND ALBUM REVIEWS

=======================================
First issue... COLLECTOR'S EDITION!
=======================================
Tell Mommy You Want It!

Look inside! ---> Page 1 ................... Editorial Welcome
Page 2 ........................ Live Circuit
Page 4 ......................... Sonic Spill
Page 10 ............ Distributors Classified

The Spill
is distributed monthly
through internet newsgroups,
via fax, through on-disk
distribution and e-mail subscriptions.
For info, send internet e-mail to
spil...@cml.com
or contact Arvin Kashyap at
3055 Harold Sheard Drive
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
L4T 1V4

"The musical notes are only five in
number, but their melodies are so
numerous that one cannot hear them
all" - Sun Tzu

Page 1

Editorial Welcome
-----------------

Welcome to The Spill Magazine! Whether you've just followed a
paper trail to your fax machine or are sitting in front of your
computer screen, I hope you enjoy it.

This idea came about one day over some DuMaurier Lights and a few
pints of Strongbow. I was working at my campus radio station,
but that just wasn't cutting it. When I brought the idea of a
magazine up with a buddy of mine, my only concern was the cost of
going to print. He, being into the BBS scene, suggested
electronic distribution. A good idea.

About a month after that day, and a few more pints, here is the
first issue.

The Spill will consist of some of the usual features: CD reviews,
concert listings and show reviews, charts, articles, and
interviews. We will also be including a column on the
application and evolution of MIDI (absent from this first
issue... thanks a lot Lou!), reader feedback and top picks.
Other features are still in the microwave, and should be ready
soon.

Our readers are welcome to contribute their ideas for feature
articles and column ideas. Send inquiries to spil...@cml.com
Oh yeah, keep in mind that we don't pay anything as of yet. All
submissions will be made out of the goodness of your heart.

All independent bands and record labels can feel free to send us
information on your new releases. Everything we recieve will be
mentioned, regardless of whether it is reviewed or not. We will
be sticking The Spill on the internet, so you're looking at some
wide distribution.

If you would like to contact me directly, you may reach my by
phone at (905) 677-8337, by snail-mail at 3055 Harold Sheard
Drive, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, L4T 1V4, or via e-mail at
internet address: kas...@cml.com

In closing, I would like to thank all the people who contributed
their time tho the first issue: Jackie Valencia, "Metal" Mike F,
Scott Firth, David J. Widmann. It's really appreciated.

Keep up the good work, and see you next month.

-Arvin Kashyap
Chief Editor

Page 2
___
/ /
/ IVE / IRCUIT
/____ /___

MCA Concerts presents:
Meat Puppets
El Macambo, Toronto
April 21, 1994

I hate the Elmo! Who cares that the Rolling Stones played there,
its a dump. Somebody who cares should buy it and renovate it and
maybe more bands would like to play there. However, this is
probably the last time you will be able to see the Meat Puppets
before they gain too large a following and you poor suckers will
have to line-up at the Concert Hall.

It seems fair that after a successful opening slot for Nirvana,
as well as their appearance on the band's MTV Unplugged special,
that this exposure has made them everybody's favourite band.

So it was no coincidence that tonight the crowd includes some
famous local musicians, as well as pony-tailed industry people
and just us plain folks.

The band sauntered on stage around 11:30 p.m. to play their
relentlessly electric music ranging from country, punk,
classical, metal and psychedelia, including a screamin' super-
sonic version of "Monsters." "Backwater," from their new album
_Too Hight To Die_, almost became a sing-a-long.

All I can say is that the Meat Puppets are finally getting the
recognition that they deserve. What we got was a truly magical
show.
-Scott Firth

# # #

An Unbridled Entertainment Presentation:
The Hanson Bros. w/ The Real Mackenzies and The Sanatras
Lee's Palace, Toronto
April 30, 1994

Now why were there only five of us in the pit during The
Sanatras? These guys are good, and they played their punky
hearts out that night. Five of us just nodded to the beats and
anxiously clapped at the end. Sounding quite close to the
infamous Husker Du made them all the more enjoyable... especially
when the bassist started climbing the speakers, mock-puking on
the audience and screaming "Time to masturbate!" We continued to
nod.

ComputerLink 'the easy way to bbs' (416) 233 - 7150