Re: FF5

1 view

Seth

Nov 23, 2004, 4:49:51 PM11/23/04
Don't ask me where I pulled the FF acronym from. Its all twisted games and
general confusion inside my head, these days.

"Seth" <te...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> http://www.factsheet5.org/
>
> Site was updated today. Quoting it directly: "However, Factsheet 5 plans
> begin publishing again in 2005."
>
> Seth... no not that Seth.

Seth

Nov 23, 2004, 4:48:34 PM11/23/04

D. Halligan

Nov 24, 2004, 1:12:31 PM11/24/04
While certainly Factsheet 5 returning could help the zine scene get more
national recognition, I think they've made similar announcements about every
6 months for the past 3 years. I wouldn't get your hopes up that they are
actually going to publish an issue. -dan

Seth

Nov 24, 2004, 1:22:10 PM11/24/04
Yeah i was wondering if the Crying Wolf effect had taken hold yet. Sounds
like it has.

"D. Halligan" <dan@DONTSPAMME_tabletmag.com> wrote in message

D. Halligan

Nov 24, 2004, 1:46:17 PM11/24/04
Absolutely it has. If I had $1 for every time I've heard someone saying they
were going to publish a zine about ____, or start a new zine called _____,
or their new issue will be out next month and it didn't actually happen...
well I'd probably have a couple hundred dollars. I'm such a cynic because of
all talk, with little action in the zine scene I usually think people are
bullshitting until I hold the actual zine in my grubby little hands. -dan

"Seth" <te...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Steve Kolcow

Dec 1, 2004, 1:27:30 AM12/1/04
Seth wrote on 11/23/04:

Now here's a funny story. Awhile back when I was flush with windfall cash and
had a relative insane enough to front me some of his own cash, I got in touch
with Seth (yes, That! Seth) about buying the rights to publish F5. He pretty
much talked me out of it.

True, I was thinking something along the lines of a simpler, smaller pub; while
Seth was telling me I may not have realized publishing F5 would be a major
undertaking.

Anyway, after thinking about the numbers I just didn't think I could hit the
ground running, publishing the 10k or 12k copies I would need on my budget. I
figured there would be no advertising income to speak of the first three issues
after the several failed attempts at revival. Would you advertise in a pub
that had 3 or 4 publishers and 5 or 6 start dates since '98?

So, like in college when I held onto the girlfriend just a little too long
because the sex was great even as the relationship was shot to hell, I realized
the dream of owning F5 was a pain in the ass. I just let it go.

Now for the tidbits. The only times the F5.org site was updated in the last
couple years was after the failed attempts and one successful attempt to
contact Seth about buying F5. This doesn't include the recent announcement of
a 2005 pub date.
After talking with Seth I was beginning to think I didn't know dick about
publishing, I think I just didn't know dick about buying and publishing F5.
Anyway, I'm sensing a little upsurge in zinedom lately - stay tuned.

-steve kolcow

Seth

Dec 1, 2004, 2:07:08 PM12/1/04
My email inquiry was replied to by Thomas Wheeler, who is associated with
APR, if I'm not mistaken.

If APR is involved, then there could be significant resources behind this
latest attempt (or at least moreso than your single guy trying to pick it
up), which could make it interesting.

Seth... fingers crossed.

"Steve Kolcow" <stevi...@aol.comDamnSpam> wrote in message