The Spill #1 3/4

spil...@cml.com

May 20, 1994, 5:15:07 PM5/20/94

Page 6

topless dancer/ I only want her to grow old and die of cancer..."
on "I Want 'Em Dead."

No, _Destroyed_ is not for the faint of heart. It is loud,
obnoxious and, well... honest. No hidden meanings here, in
tracks such as "If I Had A Woman" and "So Fucked Up." They even
pay tribute to porn queen Traci Lords in "Come Back Traci" (get
it? "_Come_ Back Traci?"). My favourite is "Janie Is A Nazi" in
which the protagonist denounces his facist lover, yet still wants
to do the hokey-pokey (y'all know what I mean) with her. There
are two instrumental tracks on this album, but they are not
special.

Sloppy Seconds consists of Steve Sloppy (drums), B.A. (yells),
Bo'ba Jam (bass), and Roadkill (guitars). Chances are you will
not hear them on any conventional, CRTC-abiding radio stations.
Most people (who are afraid to offend even a stinkin' fly) would
come away saying Sloppy Seconds is a bunch of homophobic, sexist,
violence-loving bastards. But who can stop you from listening to
them? Gee, it could ruin your squeaky-clean reputation.
___

54-40
_Smiling Buddah Cabaret_
Sony Music

54-40 return to their roots to create a sound you know they
always posessed but never quite delved into. This album, which
shares the same name as a famous Vancouver punk club, takes the
band on a more experimental path. The more punk sounding first
single "Blame Your Parents" is a prime example. Other songs
which stand out include, "Radio Luv Song" and "Can't Listen To
That". If you enjoyed the bands previous efforts, this shouldn't
disappoint. If you weren't a fan, try it out it may surprise
you. Either way, do what the front cover says, "Enjoy."
___

Thee Hypnotics
_The Very Crystal Speed Machine_
Primal Scream
_Give Up But Don't Give Up_
American/Sire

I realize that this is a kind of odd pairing of reviews to do
together, believe it or not they actually have something in
common. Don't freak, but it's the Black Crowes. Chris Robinson
(lead singer), produced Thee Hypnotics third album and George
Drakoulis (producer) assissted in production and remixing of the
latest Primal Scream album.

Page 7

On both albums, the listener can hand pick the tracks that these
two worked on. Not to say this is a bad thing, but it shows how
much influence they had. Going through the Primal Scream album,
it evolves from a retro rock Stones feel to a funky sound and
slows to a ballad and the cycle is repeated. One big thing the
album has going for it is that it doesn't stay in a single groove
for too long. Two of the more funky numbers (Funky Jam and the
title track) feature funk master George Clinton. Other critics
have slagged this album but it may surprise you.

Thee Hypnotics third release, first for America, has the same
lineup with a different sound. The sound has evolved from a
plain rocky sound and has incorporated more of a bluesy feel
which is more up-tempo in places (a la Chris Robinson) and not
venturing far from it. To say the least, its not what I expected
from the band but then again why be predictable. Key tracks
include "Keep Rollin' On" and "Phils Drum Acropolis". Crowes
fans can use this as a hold over and Thee Hypnotics fans it will
be an unpredictible listen.
___

Rollins Band
_Weight_
Imago

Henry's second major label offering. Frankly, I expected this
album to be more accessible considering all the hype.
Thankfully, it isn't. These are twelve tracks of pure agression,
similar to Rollins' earlier material such as _Do It_ and _Hard
Volume_.

The "thrash-jazz" approach heard on _End Of Silence_ has been
replaced by a back-to-basics sound: short, heavy guitar riffs
with little melody and Henry's angry vocals. Also gone is
basssist Andrew Weiss. His replacement is Melvin Gibbs (who?).

The bottom line is that this is a typical Rollins album. There
are no "hit" songs with catchy hooks like "Low Self Opinion," but
tracks like "Icon" and "Civilized" (the standouts) will remind
you of his Black Flag years. Rollins fans will love it; CFNY
listeners probably won't.
___

Combustible Edison
_I, Swinger_
Sub Pop

A Sub Pop release your parents might enjoy. No I'm not joking,
The bands sound has been described as good drinking music.
Unlike the Irish, the reference is for good cocktail music.

Page 8

Edison are a five piece consisting of the usual drums, guitar and
keyboards combined to produce an unexpected sound. With the
exception of two tracks, the album is instrumental. The unique
sound still lacks something. It wasn't as catchy as it maybe
should be. It is an attempt to do something different to attract
a wider audience for this type of music. Overall, more points to
Sub Pop for being adventurous. Better luck next time.
___

Skatenigs
_Regret/Family Values_ CD Single
Redlight Records

Just a taste of the upcoming album, which is just tempting
enough. The band was recently signed to Redlight and are gearing
up for their album release (Late Msy). If you're a fan of
industrial music, you won't be disappointed. These two songs
aren't as hard as those found on the debut _Stupid People
Shouldn't Breed_ (Megaforce), nonetheless expect a lot of talk.
___

Rig
_Belly To The Ground_
Cruz Records

_Belly To The Ground_ is a collection of 11 songs, all of which
hint at latent angst, but do little to bring it out. The
programmed drums kick, the guitars pound their way into your
skull... but the vocals convey the feeling of a little boy that
is angry at a bully; he's mad as hell, but can't do anything
about it.

Marc Palacios, Craig Ibarra and Christian Wabschall comprise Rig.
This "Urban Southern California" band sounds like many others.
If there was a textbook written on how to make a '90s
techno/industrial album, _Belly To The Ground_ would make a prime
case study. Mr. Palacios's drum programming consists of few,
formula beats; his guitars follow along in a familiar, set
pattern. Mr. Wabschall's basslines follow the drums and chords
in a functional, robotic fashion; his vocals come whining through
the ensuing noise with the afore mentioned helpless rage. To top
off the mix, we have Mr. Ibarra, the band's full-time megaphone
"player." When I was a kid watching WWF wrestling, I was never a
big fan of the megaphone antics of Jimmy Hart. Apprently Mr.
Ibarra was.

Put simply, the album just doesn't "do it."

Rig is the paradigm of the basement basement bands of the '90s:
very few people making very much noise, a la Merlin. It is good

ComputerLink 'the easy way to bbs' (416) 233 - 7150