Word

dmc...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2005, 10:34:23 AM1/14/05
Zen students are with their masters at
least ten years before they presume to
teach others. Nan-in was visited by Tenno,
who, having passed his apprenticeship, had
become a teacher. The day happened to be rainy,
so Tenno wore wooden clogs and carried an
umbrella. After greeting him Nan-in remarked:
"I suppose you left your wooden clogs in the
vestibule. I want to know if your umbrella
is on the right or left side of the clogs."

"Beats the hell out of me," Tenno replied
without hesitation.

"Ah," said Nan-in, "Have some tea."

"Word," replied Tenno.

(For background, see "Every-Minute Zen":
http://www.ashidakim.com/zenkoans/35everyminutezen.html
That story has always worried me; this one is
part of my work on it. Or I'm just fooling
around.)

DC

Jazz

Jan 15, 2005, 6:02:35 PM1/15/05