Old Tunes

Lloyd The Great

Aug 31, 2011, 10:34:01 AM8/31/11

Lately I've watched a lot of TV commercials selling recordings from the
50's and 60's. Every time I hear an old tune, I get nostalgic,
especially when I hear songs like, Wheel of Fortune, My Guy, Mr Lonely,
Where The Boys Are, and Sentimental Journey. While I'm into Country
Music, I love the beautiful music that was around in the 40's in the Big
Band era.

Whenever someone asks me what I was doing during World War II, I tell
them I sang with the Andrew Sisters in military clubs. We all looked
forward to listening to Jack Benny, and the regular soap operas on the
radio. TV was a rarety, as were automobiles. Baby Snooks and Judy
Canova were always on the agenda. I can remember saving cereal box tops
to send off for my Snap, Crackle and Pop hand puppets, and the warning
ring from the western program I listened to. Blow on it and it alerted
everyone of imminent danger.

They say you can never go home again, only in your dreams.

hobo

Sep 1, 2011, 3:04:07 PM9/1/11

I have noticed the use of those oldies increasingly or so it seems --
I remember that ring only because a friend got one -- don't know why I
didn't raise cain to get one because I'd have given anything to have
one but don't remember doing that -- guess it was because I knew we
didn't have money for a stamp or so I thought or had been told -- I
really liked the Andrews Sisters -- wish I enjoyed the tv shows now
like I enjoyed those old radio shows -- I remember we had a huge
battery for the radio ( no electricity in those days) -- we had
several spent batteries that mom used to put on a bench at the eating
table when the cousins visited so they could reach the table top -- I
have that bench on my back deck now -- it must be 75 years old -- hand
made of red oak -- @

Hmmm -- I clicked send but it don't show as sent -- will send again so
if this mailing shows twice it was intentional -- @

Lloyd The Great

Sep 2, 2011, 6:07:37 AM9/2/11

We got our first TV in 1950, and there was no color TV. "Gunsmoke" and
"I Love Lucy" were always on the weekly agenda.

I also loved to watch wrestling on Friday nights.
Remember Mr. Moto, Wild Red Berry, The Argentina Roco, and The Swedish
Angel?

I can still remember the beer commmericals...
"It's always fair weather when good fellas get together. With Fehr's on
the table and a good song ringing clear."

"Schlitz, the beer that made Milwaukee famous."

I remember my favorites from the 60's, "The Millionaire," "House Party"
and "The Loretta Young Show." Loretta would alway spin and twirl with a
piece of philsophy at the end of her shows. Of course, I never missed
"Our Miss Brooks," and "The Life Of Riley" with William Bendix.

Every week Snooky Lansing would host "Your Hit Parade." That was always
a special time waiting for our favorite song to be sung. The biggest
hit of 1950 was "Irene Good Night." I couldn't get that song out of my
mind, and it would play in my head sometimes all night.

Unfortunate Soldier

Sep 3, 2011, 9:18:21 PM9/3/11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~DO WHAT YOU LIKE~

jfmay...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2014, 5:21:11 PM4/29/14
On Friday, September 2, 2011 6:07:37 AM UTC-4, Lloyd The Great wrote:
> I can still remember the beer commmericals...
> "It's always fair weather when good fellas get together. With Fehr's on
> the table and a good song ringing clear."

Can you please tell me if this was the tune that jingle was sung to?

http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/recordings/detail/id/4928/