Where did everyone go?

1 view

Booklover

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
Is everyone on vacation? No postings since 6/8/99---or is my server acting
up?

GM

James Charles Rau

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:17:31 -0700, "Booklover" <Ga...@abs-book.com>
wrote:

>Is everyone on vacation? No postings since 6/8/99---or is my server acting
>up?

Its scam hunting season. We're all out hunting scam artists. :-)

James (Be very, very quiet: I'm hunting scammers!) Rau

>GM

Newton Fall

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
Hi everyone,

I didn't there was such a newsgroup. To the experts here what do you know or
think about the two "agencies" below.

Rocky Mountain Literary Agency at http://www.rockymountainliterary.com/
and
Chadwick & Gros Literary Agency http://colorpro.com/chadwick-gros/

Rocky Mountain has been posting lately quite aggressively and even made
threats to writers asking legitimate questions about them.

nf

> > Is everyone on vacation? No postings since 6/8/99---or is my server
acting
> > up?
>

> Sebar's waging war against the evil publishing monopolies, and the bunch
> who were arguing over semantics finally disappeared up their own
arseholes.

Victoria Strauss

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
Newton Fall wrote:

> Rocky Mountain Literary Agency at http://www.rockymountainliterary.com/

Here's another URL for Kennedy, proprietor of Rocky Mountain Literary:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/kennedy/. Her publisher, Aegina Press,
offers subsidy contracts and at one point did a mailing to literary
agents offering them a commission to refer manuscripts "not suitable for
royalty publishing" to Aegina.

> Rocky Mountain has been posting lately quite aggressively

Where? Haven't seen anything on misc.writing or alt.writing, which are
the ng's I check most regularly.

-Victoria
--
Victoria Strauss
Homepage: http://www.sff.net/people/victoriastrauss

Newton Fall

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99

> Where? Haven't seen anything on misc.writing or alt.writing, which are
> the ng's I check most regularly.

They have posted on mail.screenwriters and misc.writing.screenplays.

Thanks for the info, Victoria Strauss.

nf

NOSPA...@bigfoot.com

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
We like to pronounce it in the correct English context assholes. And yes, a group of Authors, myself included have been working hard to try and get a free marketplace opened once more. This is being done, because many authors are fed up with the current monopolized system, and it's not just the Literary industries in the United States that have become monopolized. The FTC in the states and abroad have allowed many industries to start becoming monopolized too, such as the BP takeover of an American Oil firm. The main problem is becoming two fold. 1.) The marketplace in the U.S. exists to mainly serve Literary Monopolies. It is seeing a dramatic change in this respect where larger publishers are not only owning huge percentages of the Publishing markets, but have also bought into distribution and shelf space as well, controlling most of the publishing to retail process. So when we look at this problem it becomes far more threatening to not only Authors, but Editors and their smaller Publishers, as well as small retail Literary chains. Remember this problem extends well beyond writers. I have other friends who are smaller publishers and book stores who are actively trying to assist in reversing, what may be an irreversible trend. I do not hate Publishers, Nigel, just that I dislike what is occurring by Literary Scam Artists. And I will reclassify my positions. Literary Monopolies are the main reason the environment is in the shape it is, lending to other types of scam artists. However, your earlier statements have also been verified that there is an increasing illiteracy rate around the globe, and less people are purchasing traditional paperbacks, who can read them. But this second trend is far less responsible than the monopolizing of the paperback trade novel markets in the U.S., where the main problems exist. In a sense, it leads to a continued spiral downhill for the industry as a whole, when the markets are not free and open; with many smaller publishers who would competitively publish, a multitude of newer and established talents, in the marketplace. So when you say we are on our arses, as you so politely put it, be aware that we are all out here fighting for what we believe in, which benefits everyone in the long run, including yourself.

Nigel Jones-Jones wrote:

In article <7kbvk4$31v$1...@news-01.meganews.com>, Ga...@abs-book.com says...

> Is everyone on vacation?  No postings since 6/8/99---or is my server acting
> up?

Sebar's waging war against the evil publishing monopolies, and the bunch
who were arguing over semantics finally disappeared up their own arseholes.

--
Warmest Regards,

American  Author, Poet & Screenwriter
"Mark Paul" Sebar  http://www.sebar.com
When replying, delete the NOSPAM from my email name.

"The Writer is mightier than the Publisher!"

SpiritHawk

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99

Yes, these points are all quite valid. I'm so anxious to see what
happens with ePublishing. The eBook Readers are hitting the marketplace
at very reasonable prices. While I, myself, prefer to hold (and
smell!!!) a nice, brand new book in my hands, it's getting to the point
that I'd rather go the digital route and be able to support the actual
author, rather than those who would exploit his/her talents.
Self-publishing is a good idea, if one has the money or the credit to go
into that line. Epublishing, however, requires so little start-up, and
I hope we all see the emergence of some talents who otherwise may never
have been "discovered".

What are your thoughts?
SpiritHawk

NOSPA...@bigfoot.com

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99
Without giving too much away. I made an announcement to the CWC
membership while speaking at the Los Angeles group to my fellow Editors and
Authors. Sebar Literary will be producing the first of 4 Audio books, and
financial investors have already signed on. The titles will include Stupid
Cougar Laws, Amount Due, CalHouse and Thunder Dead. These will be on a test
basis only. However, after those 4 of the 15 novels I have written, we will
begin opening the floodgates to other Authors. We will be laying down
guidelines for Publishing and the type of material we will be interested
in. All formats will need to be sent in Screenplay format and a decision
will be made on whether to produce or not. No writers will be charged. The
payment will be in writing and will be based on a hefty percentage of the
royalties on the work. The more it sells, the more the author gets paid.
The author will be able to retain the paperback and movie rights. We will
however work with them on the audio rights. We believe that people want to
hear new stories and are getting tired of remakes of this and remakes of
that. Several CWC members will most likely be the next targets. We are
hoping to build a library of audio books world wide, and will be
aggressively looking at pursuing this with the WORLD marketplace. I will
not disclose anything more, but the old saying in my book goes something
like this, and it brings many a smile to the faces of those who hear it,
except the competition. "If you can't join em, beat em!"