Re: Interesting idea to get more content to your website

Sarah McLead

Jan 24, 2008, 1:06:06 PM1/24/08
Jesus Christ is
end of all, and the centre to which all tends. Whoever knows Him knows the
reason of everything.

Those who fall into error err only through failure to see one of these two
things. We can, then, have an excellent knowledge of God without that of our
own wretchedness and of our own wretchedness without that of God. But we
cannot know Jesus Christ without knowing at the same time both God and our
own wretchedness.

Therefore I shall not undertake here to prove by natural reasons either the
existence of God, or the Trinity, or the immortality of the soul, or
anything of that nature; not only because I should not feel myself
sufficiently able to find in nature arguments to convince hardened atheists,
but also because such knowledge without Jesus Christ is useless and barren.
Though a man should be convinced that numerical proportions are immaterial
truths, eternal and dependent on a first truth, in which they subsist and
which is called God, I should not think him far advanced towards his own
salvation.

The God of Christians is not a God who is simply the author of mathematical
truths, or of the order of the elements; that is the view of heathens and
Epicureans. He is not merely a God who exercises His providence over the
life and fortunes of men, to bestow on those who worship Him a long and
happy life. That was the portion of the Jews. But the God of Abraham, the
God of Isaac, the God of Jacob, the God of Christians, is a God of love and
of comfort, a God who fills the soul and heart of those whom He possesses, a
God who makes them conscious of their inward wretchedness, and His infinite
mercy, who unites Himself to their inmost soul, who fills it with humility
and joy, with confidence and love, who renders them incapable of any other
end than Himself.

All who seek God without Jesus Christ, and who rest in nature, either find
no light to satisfy them, or come