Re: Why Google Is Failing as a Online Advertising Company

Kyle Summers

Jan 23, 2008, 7:19:55 PM1/23/08
drinks, and send
to a near-by restaurant and procure them at Government expense. After
feasting and drinking, he would try to induce some woman of the house
to consort with him, showing her a sufficient sum of money to fairly
dazzle her eyes. This he could well afford to do, for the Government
put the money in his hands to offer, and if the woman accepted, it
would not be a loss to the Government, for it would be taken back
again afterwards. Perhaps some poor half-starved creature would yield
to the tempter; perhaps some heathen man would press his wife to
accept the offer, in his greed for the money; perhaps some foolish
young girl would think she had suddenly come into great fortune in
having a man of such great wealth proposing marriage to her. It must
not be forgotten that the poorest people in China often marry in
a manner which is _almost devoid of all ceremony_, and yet it is
considered perfectly right and honorable, and the couple remain
faithful to each other afterwards. It is not unlikely, then, a young
woman might, with the consent of her parents, look upon such a
proposal as this as about to eventuate in real marriage, if it were so
put before her. No such thing as courting ever takes place in China,
previous to marriage. In other cases, doubtless, the informer who had
thus intruded himself for the basest reasons into a native house,
might really find a woman of loose character there. It were certainly
more to the credit of such a woman that she was in hiding, a

Kyle Summers

Jan 23, 2008, 4:28:32 PM1/23/08
hell-scorched earth has never held the same happy delusions for us
since, but there is a city out of sight "whose Builder and Maker is
God." That we will seek.

CHAPTER 16.

SLAVERY IN THE UNITED STATES.

During the incumbency of a certain Mayor of San Francisco a surprising
condition of things was brought into existence. There was a large
tract of land in the heart of Chinatown owned by an American family,
relatives, it is declared, of said Mayor, the passages entering
which were deliberately blocked by gates, so as to stop all entrance
excepting to patrons of the place. This section lay between Dupont
and Stockton, Jackson and Pacific streets, and included within its
enclosure Baker and New World alleys, connecting Dupont street with
Sullivan Place, which divided this tract in two. Gates were erected at
the entrance of the two alleys on Dupont street, and two gates blocked
the entrance to Sullivan Place, at the end opening upon Pacific
street. Within this region, both above and below ground, were housed
numbers of Chinese slave girls, particularly in Baker alley, where, it
is said, were placed the young girls of tender years, generally about
fifteen years old, when first brought over the water, or when first
initiated into brothel slavery, having served their apprenticeship
as domestic slaves. We are informed that fully seven-tenths of the
domestic slave girls found in Chinese homes in America--and every
well-to-do Chinese family (except Christians) keeps at least one or
two slaves--end their lives in immorality. Some of them when they
become old enough are seized by their masters as concubines, others
are sent to the brothels. Reports of conditions at Hong Kong which we
have already quoted, speak of th

Kyle Summers

Jan 24, 2008, 2:39:11 PM1/24/08
meetings; and all sorts are generally
worshipping God at such meetings on Sabbath-nights, and in the evening
after our public lecture. Many children in the town still keep up such
meetings among themselves. I know of no one young person in the town who
has returned to former ways of looseness and extravagance in any
respect; but we still remain a reformed people, and God has evidently
made us a new people.

I cannot say that there has been no instance of any one person who has
conducted himself unworthily; nor am I so vain as to imagine that we
have not been mistaken in our good opinion concerning any; or that there
are none who pass amongst us for sheep, that are indeed wolves in
sheep's clothing; and who probably may, some time or other, discover
themselves by their fruits. We are not so pure, but that we have great
cause to be humbled and ashamed that we are so impure; nor so religious,
but that those who watch for our halting, may see things in us, whence
they may take occasion to reproach us and religion. But in the main,
there has been a great and marvellous work of conversion and
sanctification among the people here; and they have paid all due respect
to those who have been blest of God to be the instruments of it. Both
old and young have shown a forwardness to hearken not only to my
counsels, but even to my reproofs, from the pulpit.

A great part of the country have not received the most favorable
thoughts of this affair; and to this day many retain a jealousy
concerning it, and prejudice against it. I have reason to think that the
meanness and weakness of the instrument, that has been made use of in
this town, has prejudiced many against it; nor does it ap