Windows XP x64 probably has bug in IPv6 Stack relating to ICMPv6.

Skybuck Flying

Aug 29, 2008, 7:33:09 AM8/29/08
Hello,

I want to update my UDP Speed Test 3 to include ICMP reporters.

The ICMPv4 Reporter for IPv4 is working fine.

The ICMPv6 Reporter for IPv6 seems to malfunction:

The situation is as follows:

1. Family: AF_INET6
2. Sock type: SOCK_RAW
3. Protocol: IPPROTO_ICMPV6

4. Any IPv6 Address or some specified address.

5. Open Socket.
6. Bind Socket.
7. ReceiveFrom.

Delphi/The Console suddenly prints:

GetAdapterList: IP_UNIDIRECTIONAL_ADAPTER_ADDRESS resource failure= 8

It seems this message is coming from some drivers or the IP stack itself ?!

Other symptoms: GUI fails to redraw, response slowly, or doesn't react.

(GUI+Console app)

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Aug 29, 2008, 7:39:35 AM8/29/08
Hmm,

Maybe I just had a gui bug :)

So far the icmpv6 reporter doesn't seem to be working either.

Me go look further into it.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Aug 29, 2008, 7:46:48 AM8/29/08
Situation is as follows:

1. Not a gui bug from my part.
2. ICMPv6 stats weren't updating because no gui code yet.
3. ICMPv6 reporter not receiving anything.
4. Ethereal is showing ICMPv6 error reports... but these are encapsulated
inside IPv4 packets. (Tunneling ?!?)
5. GUI bugs caused by stack/drivers ?

I wonder if encapsulated has anything to do with it... later I test a
simpler example/code to see if it can receive icmpv6's at all ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Aug 29, 2008, 7:51:42 AM8/29/08
Ok,

I tried a simple icmpv6 receiver test...

It can't receive the tunneling icmp errors.

I have no idea how to receive those at the moment.

Maybe Windows XP x64 doesn't support it or something...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Aug 29, 2008, 7:58:11 AM8/29/08
Windows seems to have some issue's with this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944135

"
The recvfrom function stops responding when you use the sendto function in
the IPv6 raw socket to send an ICMP packet and then use the recvfrom
function to receive ICMP responses on a Windows Server 2003-based computer
"

(I am not sending any IPv6 raw stuff or so... just normal IPv6 stuff)

Probably more buggies in there ! ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.