I do not use c# or .NET. FFS, Microsoft are driving me mad, please someone help me

Tux

Aug 18, 2011, 8:49:10 AM8/18/11
I have a simple problem, I have inherited the worst windoze based
client/server c++ code you can imagine with of course zero
documentation, nada, nothing, absolutely zilch. Typical, so no problem
there.

The code implements the client/server communications via tcp sockets,
which is great except that it is sending clear text passwords over the
sockets, lol, because that is of course how junior programmers write
code :)

Now I need to convert the sockets to secure sockets.The problem I have
is that no matter how I search for information how to do this, all I
find is c# or c++ using .net. FFS not everybody moves the world to a
new solar system just because Microsoft changed the copyright year on
their applications. We cannot use .net in this application and
certainly cannot convert the code to c#, it is c++ and will remain so.

Please, please, can someone point me in the direction for
documentation on how to implement secure sockets on windoze, using c+
+, not c# and not .net or mfc for that matter. I do not care that
Microsoft want everyone to go c#/mfc/.net, we cannot and will not. The
world, including Microsoft, used secure sockets before c# / .net /
mfc, so there must still be some documentation available somewhere to
do this, using c++ on windoze.

Surely it is just a matter of using iocotl somehow?

There are no certificates involved in this, it is not a web app, just
a simple client/server.

Peter Duniho

Aug 18, 2011, 10:18:09 AM8/18/11
On 8/18/11 5:49 AM, Tux wrote:
> [...]

> Now I need to convert the sockets to secure sockets.The problem I have
> is that no matter how I search for information how to do this, all I
> find is c# or c++ using .net. [...]

> Please, please, can someone point me in the direction for
> documentation on how to implement secure sockets on windoze, using c++
> [...]

> Surely it is just a matter of using iocotl somehow?

I doubt it's that simple. And I find your tirade about "windoze [sic]"
and .NET ill-mannered and without foundation. But really, it seems you
just need to get better at web searches.

Third hit on my web search
(http://www.bing.com/search?q=ssl+over+winsock):
http://tangentsoft.net/wskfaq/intermediate.html (see question 3.2)

That should be enough to get you pointed back in the right direction.
If not, there are lots of other promising links in those search results.

Pete