what does "taskmon.exe" do?

Xe

Apr 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/24/99
I have a program in my startup called taskmon.exe. The path is
C:\Windows\taskmon.exe for windows '98.
Does anyone know what this does? And what would happen if I stopped having
it run in the background?

--
=======================================
Protect Your Privacy, Boycott Intel's PIII
info @:
http://www.BigBrotherInside.org
=======================================
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill
http://www.cyberenet.net/~jesacks
mailto:jes...@eticomm.net
ICQ: 25713303
/ \ \ / O
/__\/ \ \_ |=\ _/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
``

Peter Forrest

Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99
Xe <jes...@eticomm.net> wrote in message news:37217...@news.cyberenet.net...

> I have a program in my startup called taskmon.exe. The path is
> C:\Windows\taskmon.exe for windows '98.
> Does anyone know what this does? And what would happen if I stopped having
> it run in the background?

It monitors your tasks (funnily enough).

Basically, it is used in conjunction with the defrag program
to sort your most used programs so they launch quicker.

Best left alone.

--
Peter Forrest (mailto:p...@ttforrest.freeserve.co.uk)
Website (http://www.ttforrest.freeserve.co.uk)

Andreas Heib

Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99
On Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:25:58 -0400, "Xe" <jes...@eticomm.net>
wrote:

>I have a program in my startup called taskmon.exe. The path is
>C:\Windows\taskmon.exe for windows '98.
>Does anyone know what this does?

Taskmon monitors your tasks. It writes log files, which are stored
in \windows\applog folder. Defragmentation program reads these log
files and moves your mostly used programs to the fastest parts of
your HD. So your often used programs will run faster after a
defragmetation.

>And what would happen if I stopped having
>it run in the background?

Your programs are not monitored and defragmentation loses a good
part of its efficiency. As taskmon.exe takes nearly no resources you
will be better off to let it run.
ah ©¿©

Samuel Renkert

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99

Andreas Heib wrote in message <3726dae1...@personalnews.de.uu.net>...

How much efficiency is really lost? I stopped running it about 3 months ago
and have noticed no change.

Andreas Heib

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
Samuel Renkert <sren...@ecrsoft.com> wrote

<jes...@eticomm.net> wrote:

> >>And what would happen if I stopped having
> >>it run in the background?
> >
> >Your programs are not monitored and defragmentation
> > loses a good part of its efficiency. As taskmon.exe
> > takes nearly no resources you will be better off to let it run.

> How much efficiency is really lost? I stopped running it

> about 3 months ago and have noticed no change.

I have not measured it. I am under the impression that my computer
runs significantly faster after a "taskmonitored" defragmentation.

--
ah ©¿©

Peter Forrest

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99

Andreas Heib <teir...@gmx.net> wrote in message news:7g4v99$bbj$2...@newsread.f.de.uu.net...
As it should. However, in a blind test, most users wouldn't even
notice the difference. Whatever works best for you is the correct
method to use. Personally, I prefer to have my programs sorted
and split so they load quicker and the overhead during the defrag
is not important since it is scheduled for when I'm not using the
machine.

James Liles

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
On 27 Apr 1999 18:22:33 GMT, "Andreas Heib" <teir...@gmx.net> wrote:

:->Samuel Renkert <sren...@ecrsoft.com> wrote
:->
:->> Andreas Heib wrote
:->
:-><jes...@eticomm.net> wrote:
:->
:->> >>And what would happen if I stopped having
:->> >>it run in the background?
:->> >
:->> >Your programs are not monitored and defragmentation
:->> > loses a good part of its efficiency. As taskmon.exe
:->> > takes nearly no resources you will be better off to let it run.
:->
:->> How much efficiency is really lost? I stopped running it
:->> about 3 months ago and have noticed no change.
:->
:->I have not measured it. I am under the impression that my computer
:->runs significantly faster after a "taskmonitored" defragmentation.

If you stop running taskmon, you would likely want to turn off the
defrag option to rearrange programs for faster loading since its
database will become more and more outdated over time.

I hope that this helps. 8-).

Windows 98 help at
http://www.ac.net/~lilesj

JESSICA K PETERSON

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
How come I don't find taskmon.exe in my startup? How can I add it?

Thanks for your help.

Jessie

Peter Forrest

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
JESSICA K PETERSON <JKP...@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:7g6344$1b7c$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com...

> How come I don't find taskmon.exe in my startup? How can I add it?

Run "MSCONFIG" and you'll find it on the Startup tab.
If it's disabled, re-enable it.

It's invoked from the Registry rather than the startup folder:
TaskMonitor = C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe

When it's disabled, it'll appear here, in the disabled key (note the dash at the end):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
TaskMonitor = C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe

liu singloon

Apr 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/30/99
Helps Win 98 determine the files that are accessed most by the user and
optimises them in defrag

--
George
=======================================

Xe wrote in message <37217...@news.cyberenet.net>...

>I have a program in my startup called taskmon.exe. The path is
>C:\Windows\taskmon.exe for windows '98.

>Does anyone know what this does? And what would happen if I stopped
having

>it run in the background?

liu singloon

Apr 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/30/99
It only optimises the top 50 programs accessed... and long filenames
greater than 8 characters are not recognises by taskmon.exe

--
George