How to Keep Windows Running Smoothly

Internetado

Sep 2, 2022, 9:40:05 AM9/2/22
A smooth running system will bring months of productivity /
entertainment. Keep your rig running smooth with just a little work.

You spend a lot of money on your computer. You buy the best graphics
Card and best CPU for your budget and enjoy creating and gaming with
your rig. Everything is running smoothly, until you notice your
performance is suddenly lacking.

When did you last run Windows Update, empty the wastebasket or run a
virus scan? Could it be a corrupt configuration file causing your
grief?
We've put together a few tips and tricks to help keep your rig running
smooth.

Keeping the PC Updated and Secure

Your PC runs better when it has the latest updates. These updates can
fix issues and bugs, often introducing improved drivers and software
for your components.

1. Check for the latest OS updates. Search for Update via the Start
menu and click on Check for updates.

2. Click on Check for updates.

3. If any updates are required, download and install. These can also be
scheduled to take place when you are not using your computer.
4. Move unused files from the Desktop into folders. Find your files
faster, use a system to keep your important files ready for use. Old
downloads, updates, videos etc can be stored on an external drive.
5. Empty your trash! The recycle bin can store Gigabytes of data, data
that we had thought was long since deleted.

6. Reduce how much trash you can recycle. Right click on your Recycle
Bin and select Properties.
7. Set the maximum size to a few gigabytes for your drives, click OK to
save. Note that each drive has to be selected, and the custom size set
individually.

Running A Virus Scan

Malware and viruses can bring misery to any user. Removing them is
often time consuming, and can be expensive. The adage that "prevention
is better than cure" applies here. To keep yourself and your system
protected you should run regular scans.
1. Click on the Start menu and search for Windows Security. Click on
the icon to load.

2. Select Virus and threat protection.

3. Click on Quick scan to perform a scan of your main drive. The
process can take some time to complete.

4. Click on Scan options.

5. Select Full scan and then click Scan now to run a full deep scan of
your system. This process can take approximately one hour to complete.

Running a Scan for Malware
To remove malware we need to perform a full scan with the system
offline.
1. Click on the Start menu and search for Windows Security. Click on
the icon to load.

2. Select Virus and threat protection.

3. Click on Scan options.

4. Select Microsoft Defender Offline scan, and then click scan now.
Note that this will restart your computer and perform an automated scan
that will prevent you from using the computer.
Repairing Files

Configuration files can sometimes become corrupt and cause issues.
Broken configuration files can introduce bugs / issues that cause your
system to work harder. Scanning for issues should be a routine task,
but we often leave this until we encounter an issue.
To scan your drive for issues.

1. Open Windows Explorer and right click on C: drive. Select
Properties.

2. Under Tools, look for Error checking and click check.

3. Select Scan drive and wait for the task to complete.

4. If prompted, take action to correct any issues. If there are none,
click Close.

We've taken the steps to keep our PC running, but remember that we need
to keep on top of our systems. To keep them ticking over, and to
prevent issues from ruining our day. As we said earlier, this is by far
the most exciting task, but it is an essential one.

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/keep-windows-running-smoothly

--
[s]
Internetado.