How do I test execute an .ini file?

laredotornado

Jan 12, 2011, 10:08:30 AM1/12/11

I have created a file that I want run upon startup and placed it in my
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
folder. However, when I click on the ".ini" file, it simply opens in
Notepad. I would like to actually see what happens when I run the
file, but can't figure out how to do that. Any help? - Dave

Tim Meddick

Jan 12, 2011, 10:56:53 AM1/12/11
You don't "Run" [*.ini] files - they were initially made to hold data by
various applications which would use them to store personal preferences and
other settings and configuration data.

For example - my Clock.exe program has got an associated "Clock.ini" file
with it.

The contents of my "Clock.ini" file looks like this ...:

[Clock]
Maximized=0
Options=1,0,0,1,0,0
Position=774,18,1007,260

...the above is typical of most [*.ini] files - a section heading enclosed
in square brackets with various sub-values in the format SETTING=value

However, most applications since the launch of Windows'95 have been
encouraged to use the Window's Registry to store applications' settings.

Take a look at the WIN.INI and SYSTEM.INI files in your WINDOWS folder.

These two files are only included for compatibility purposes and are a
relic of Windows 3x and are the forerunner of the Window's registry.

Nowadays the [*.ini] file is more often associated with legacy 16-bit
applications.

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

P.S. Perhaps you were thinking of [*.inf] files which *can* be "Run" and
not [*.ini] files at all? - Just a thought.....

"laredotornado" <laredo...@zipmail.com> wrote in message

laredotornado

Jan 12, 2011, 11:44:14 AM1/12/11
On Jan 12, 9:56 am, "Tim Meddick" <timmedd...@o2.co.uk> wrote:
> You  don't "Run" [*.ini] files - they were initially made to hold data by
> various applications which would use them to store personal preferences and
> other settings and configuration data.
>
> For example - my Clock.exe program has got an associated "Clock.ini" file
> with it.
>
> The contents of my  "Clock.ini" file looks like this ...:
>
> [Clock]
> Maximized=0
> Options=1,0,0,1,0,0
> Position=774,18,1007,260
>
> ...the above is typical of most [*.ini] files - a section heading enclosed
> in square brackets with various sub-values in the format SETTING=value
>
> However, most applications since the launch of Windows'95 have been
> encouraged to use the Window's Registry to store applications' settings.
>
> Take a look at the WIN.INI and SYSTEM.INI files in your WINDOWS folder.
>
> These two files are only included for compatibility purposes and are a
> relic of Windows 3x and are the forerunner of the Window's registry.
>
> Nowadays the [*.ini] file is more often associated with legacy 16-bit
> applications.
>
> ==
>
> Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :-)
>
> P.S. Perhaps you were thinking of [*.inf] files which *can* be "Run" and
> not [*.ini] files at all? - Just a thought.....
>
> "laredotornado" <laredotorn...@zipmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi,
>
> > I have created a file that I want run upon startup and placed it in my
> > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
> > folder.  However, when I click on the ".ini" file, it simply opens in
> > Notepad.  I would like to actually see what happens when I run the
> > file, but can't figure out how to do that.  Any help? - Dave

Thanks for this clarification. Then is the Startup folder only for
holding additional configuration? I thought I read I could actually
place a file in there that would be run. If that is true, what is the
correct way to do that? - Dave

Nil

Jan 12, 2011, 2:29:24 PM1/12/11
On 12 Jan 2011, laredotornado <laredo...@zipmail.com> wrote in
alt.windows-xp:

.ini files are not executable. They don't do anything on their own -
they hold configuration information for other programs. Your statement
about "running" the file makes no sense.

What is it you want to do, exactly?

Nil

Jan 12, 2011, 2:33:53 PM1/12/11
On 12 Jan 2011, laredotornado <laredo...@zipmail.com> wrote in
alt.windows-xp:

> Thanks for this clarification. Then is the Startup folder only

> for holding additional configuration? I thought I read I could
> actually place a file in there that would be run. If that is
> true, what is the correct way to do that? - Dave

The Startup folder is intended for shortcuts to programs and documents.
If you put a shortcut to a program there, it will run on login. If you
put a shortcut to a document there, it will open in it's default
associated program or editor on login.

If you put an ini file there, it will open up in it's default
associated editor, notepad. Your computer is working as expected and
designed.

What is it you are trying to accomplish?

laredotornado

Jan 12, 2011, 2:46:29 PM1/12/11
On Jan 12, 1:33 pm, Nil <redno...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
> On 12 Jan 2011, laredotornado <laredotorn...@zipmail.com> wrote in

I want to execute a batch file (.bat) at startup. Where can I place
my .bat file for this to happen or is there something else I need to
configure? - Dave

David E. Ross

Jan 12, 2011, 2:57:18 PM1/12/11

In general, only executable files (e.g., with the .exe extension) should
be in the Startup folder. Of course, you can also put data files there
(including .ini files, which are data and not executable) if you want
some application to open and display them (which is what you are
experiencing).

If you have entries for an .ini file that you really want applied (not
executed) at startup, enter the .ini data in either [C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI]
or [C:\WINDOWS\system.ini]. Those two are automatically applied at
startup. However, those two generally apply only to 16-bit
applications, not the more modern 32-bit and 64-bit applications.

If what you really want to do is setup environment variables (which were
setup via .ini files in Windows 95 and 98) for 32-bit and 64-bit
applications, the process is different with Windows XP. Right-click on
My Computer. On the pull-down context menu, select Properties. On the
System Properties window, select the Advanced tab. On the Advanced tab,
select the Environment Variables button. "User variables for User"
apply only to the current user on a multi-user PC. "System variables"
apply to all users.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

On occasion, I might filter and ignore all newsgroup messages
posted through GoogleGroups via Google's G2/1.0 user agent
because of spam from that source.

Tim Meddick

Jan 12, 2011, 3:08:14 PM1/12/11
Batch files end with the [*.bat] extension - where, in that case, do
[*.ini] files come in?

Yes - you *can* just place any batch file into the "Startup" folder and it
will indeed be run at startup.

A batch-file (*.bat) consists of an "Ansi" (simple, non-unicode text file
with the [*.bat] extension), with a list of consecutive commands that would
be accepted if you typed them at a Command Prompt (cmd.exe) window.

Batch files usually begin with the line :

@echo off

...this first line switches off command "echoing" - i.e.; each command will
not be shown as executed - only any output resulting from each command. It
just makes any output from the batch-file more clear.

The batch-file will then relentlessly process each command - line by line -
until it comes to the end.

For more information, look-up "batch files" in the Windows XP Help and
Support Center...

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

"laredotornado" <laredo...@zipmail.com> wrote in message

Raoul Watson

Jan 12, 2011, 10:34:32 PM1/12/11

As already mentioned, what you want is a batch file. Where you can write
DOS commands. For example, you can have XCOPY run and make a backup of a
certain directory every time you startup your computer.

Simply toss the batch file in the startup folder of the all users profile.

Nil

Jan 13, 2011, 1:38:21 AM1/13/11
On 12 Jan 2011, laredotornado <laredo...@zipmail.com> wrote in
alt.windows-xp:

> I want to execute a batch file (.bat) at startup. Where can I
> place my .bat file for this to happen or is there something else I
> need to configure?

Then, what was all that about an ini file? What does that have to do
with it?

If you want to run a batch file upon login, put a shortcut to the batch
file in the startup folder. The batch file itself can live anywhere on
the computer. Simple as that. No ini files required. Nothing else needs
to be configured.

I'm making several assumptions, due to the lack of details from you. It
really behooves you to provide a complete description and pertinent
details of your problem when you ask for technical assistance. Please
check out this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

laredotornado

Jan 13, 2011, 2:26:36 PM1/13/11
On Jan 12, 2:08 pm, "Tim Meddick" <timmedd...@o2.co.uk> wrote:
> Batch files end with the [*.bat] extension - where, in that case, do
> [*.ini] files come in?
>
> Yes - you *can* just place any batch file into the "Startup" folder and it
> will indeed be run at startup.
>
> A batch-file (*.bat) consists of an "Ansi" (simple, non-unicode text file
> with the [*.bat] extension), with a list of consecutive commands that would
> be accepted if you typed them at a Command Prompt (cmd.exe) window.
>
> Batch files usually begin with the line :
>
> @echo off
>
> ...this first line switches off command "echoing" - i.e.; each command will
> not be shown as executed - only any output resulting from each command.  It
> just makes any output from the batch-file more clear.
>
> The batch-file will then relentlessly process each command - line by line -
> until it comes to the end.
>
> For more information, look-up "batch files" in the Windows XP Help and
> Support Center...
>
> ==
>
> Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :-)
>
> "laredotornado" <laredotorn...@zipmail.com> wrote in message

> On Jan 12, 1:33 pm, Nil <redno...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
>

> > On 12 Jan 2011, laredotornado <laredotorn...@zipmail.com> wrote in
> > alt.windows-xp:
>
> > > Thanks for this clarification. Then is the Startup folder only
> > > for holding additional configuration? I thought I read I could
> > > actually place a file in there that would be run. If that is
> > > true, what is the correct way to do that? - Dave
>
> > The Startup folder is intended for shortcuts to programs and documents.
> > If you put a shortcut to a program there, it will run on login. If you
> > put a shortcut to a document there, it will open in it's default
> > associated program or editor on login.
>
> > If you put an ini file there, it will open up in it's default
> > associated editor, notepad. Your computer is working as expected and
> > designed.
>
> > What is it you are trying to accomplish?
>
> I want to execute a batch file (.bat) at startup.  Where can I place
> my .bat file for this to happen or is there something else I need to
> configure? - Dave

Ok, so placing the batch script in the startup folder seems to be the
consensus. Now here's the next hurdle. I want to run a java process
(a Selenium server) and in MS-DOS, there is no such thing as a
background process (unless I'm wrong). So the script doesn't "end",
as such. I'm noticing restarting results in a constant state of
"Windows Starting" without actually getting to the regular Windows
screen.

What is the right way to launch the Java process without permanently
stalling my system?

- Dave

Nil

Jan 13, 2011, 5:47:02 PM1/13/11
On 13 Jan 2011, laredotornado <laredo...@zipmail.com> wrote in
alt.windows-xp:

> I'm noticing restarting results in a constant state of

> "Windows Starting" without actually getting to the regular Windows
> screen.

I don't understand what you're saying here.

You can usually kill a running batch file by hitting Ctrl-C. There are
also command line process-killing utilities (Sysinternals PSKILL, for
one.)

> What is the right way to launch the Java process without
> permanently stalling my system?

Don't you need to start the java launcher with the java program as a
command line argument? If you can do that from the command line, then
you can put that command line in a batch file.

I don't think this is really a Windows question or issue. Wouldn't you
be better off asking in a java group, of which there are many?

Tim Meddick

Jan 15, 2011, 1:06:23 AM1/15/11
You are indeed mistaken...

The command-line interface provided in both DOS and NT-based Windows is
certainly NOT MS-DOS!!

And as such it can start what you call a "background process" - this is
explicitly the reason that the "START" command was created for.

The "start" command "starts" Window's processes with command-line options :

START [/MIN] [/MAX] [/WAIT] [command/program] [parameters]

Use the "start" command within a batch-file to start a Windows-program to
ensure that the batch-file continues it's execution until it terminates.

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

"laredotornado" <laredo...@zipmail.com> wrote in message

ds32...@g.risd.org

Apr 21, 2017, 4:02:29 PM4/21/17
Im looking for the abillity to start the files and do their proper job as setting the programs up, so "running" them means that i want to use something to trigger these files to run their script

Wildman

Apr 21, 2017, 4:26:24 PM4/21/17
An ini file is not an executable file. It cannot be run.

--
<Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453
The cow died so I don't need your bull!

David E. Ross

Apr 21, 2017, 8:07:24 PM4/21/17
On 4/21/2017 1:02 PM, ds32...@g.risd.org wrote:
> Im looking for the abillity to start the files and do their proper job as setting the programs up, so "running" them means that i want to use something to trigger these files to run their script

Do a system-wide backup just before executing the .ini file. After
evaluating the results, restore your system from the backup.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com>

Consider:
* Most state mandate that drivers have liability insurance.
* Employers are mandated to have worker's compensation insurance.
* If you live in a flood zone, flood insurance is mandatory.
* If your home has a mortgage, fire insurance is mandatory.

Why then is mandatory health insurance so bad??

Shadow

Apr 22, 2017, 12:21:57 PM4/22/17
Just click on the executable. It will read the settings in the
ini file, assuming that's where they are stored (could also be in a
.dat, .cfg, .xml etc or in the registry).
99% of the time, an .ini file is plain text.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Nil

Apr 22, 2017, 9:30:02 PM4/22/17
What the hell are you talking about? Does it actually have anything to
do with the 6+ year old post you're replying to?

What are "the files"? What is "their proper job"? What are "the
programs"? What is "their script"?

You post will remain perfectly meaningless until you provide some
context.

P.S. .ini files are not scripts.

smartsh...@yahoo.com.au

Sep 30, 2018, 5:14:56 AM9/30/18
They DO run when you double click them they are suppose to run But if you set it to open with the double click We are all asking how can we run these now??? Thanks.

Nil

Sep 30, 2018, 8:43:20 PM9/30/18
On 30 Sep 2018, smartsh...@yahoo.com.au wrote in
alt.windows-xp:

> They DO run when you double click them they are suppose to run But
> if you set it to open with the double click We are all asking how
> can we run these now??? Thanks.

What??? Please learn some punctuation so your run-on sentence might
make some sense.

Again: .INI files are NOT executable. Their purpose is to hold settings
for other, executable programs.

It's not at all clear what you're trying to do, but if you, like me,
like to have an ini file open in a text editor or viewer when double-
clicked, just associate the INI file extension with your text
editor/viewer (right-click on the file name and chose Open With).