Re: FREE - Click Here - FREE

1 view
Message has been deleted

98 Guy

Apr 8, 2011, 7:28:00 PM4/8/11
Pengui...@ping.com wrote:

> Dated April 1, 2011

This is actually no april fool's joke. The windows NT line of operating
systems has been and will continue to be incredibly vulnerable to
malware and remote take-over because of bad internal design and
decisions made by Milkro$oft.

>Click Here to infect your Windows computer with viruses and spyware.
>
> ,-----.
> CLICK HERE ---> | \ / | <--- CLICK HERE
> | / \ |
> `-----'
>
> Absolutely FREE !!!!
>
> Sorry, this will not work on versions of Microsoft Windows prior
> to Windows XP. You MUST use Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7
> for this to take effect.

You're forgetting about Windows NT and 2000. The term "internet
survival time" was based on how long it took for a Windows 2k system to
become infected by a network worm once it's connected to the internet.
No user intervention required.

> This service is provided free of charge as a courtesy from the
> Linux users and programmers of the World.

And by Win-9x/ME users.

Bruce Morgen

Apr 8, 2011, 8:12:47 PM4/8/11
98 Guy <9...@Guy.com> wrote:

I ran Win95 and Win98 for
years. They both had the
rather remarkable virtue
of becoming unstable
without the need for any
network-delivered
mischief whatsoever, and
I was glad to finally be
rid of their ill-
conceived MSDOS-in-a-
clown-suit a$$es -- been
running Win2K ever since
(albeit with AV software)
with no network infection
problems whatsoever.

Oh well, at least Win9x
was better than Win31 or
WFWG, both of which had
me yearning for the good
old days of CP/M. :-)

philo

Apr 9, 2011, 8:53:27 AM4/9/11

> mischief whatsoever, and
> I was glad to finally be
> rid of their ill-
> conceived MSDOS-in-a-
> clown-suit a$$es -- been
> running Win2K ever since
> (albeit with AV software)
> with no network infection
> problems whatsoever.
>
> Oh well, at least Win9x
> was better than Win31 or
> WFWG, both of which had
> me yearning for the good
> old days of CP/M. :-)

I have a Kaypro up in my attic

last time I tried it...it still worked!

Bruce Morgen

Apr 9, 2011, 2:10:02 PM4/9/11
philo <ph...@invalid.not> wrote:

Yup, I had one too -- gave
it away at a computer fair
seminar about fifteen years
ago. Two DSDD 5.25" floppy
drives, a tiny (but bigger
than an Osborne's) green
monochrome screen, and a
built-in 300 baud modem --
I got a lot of work done on
that "portable" monster and
learned how to program in
Z80 assembler too. :-)

philo

Apr 9, 2011, 6:07:19 PM4/9/11

>> I have a Kaypro up in my attic
>>
>> last time I tried it...it still worked!
>
> Yup, I had one too -- gave
> it away at a computer fair
> seminar about fifteen years
> ago. Two DSDD 5.25" floppy
> drives, a tiny (but bigger
> than an Osborne's) green
> monochrome screen, and a
> built-in 300 baud modem --
> I got a lot of work done on
> that "portable" monster and
> learned how to program in
> Z80 assembler too. :-)

I got mine from a friend of mine...
it was his father's

My first computer was a TI-99a
and though I did some Fortran IV programming when I was in school...

I learned a lot more when I had my own computer and did not have to use
punch cards!!!!

MotoFox

May 3, 2011, 7:15:22 PM5/3/11
Hey, if you guys are still reading this--
http://www.cpm.z80.de/
http://www.cpm.z80.de/emulate.html (go down to the section labelled "ZRP/M files")

They also have various distributions of CP/M86 and others under the "Digital
Research Binaries" page.

Long for those "good old days" no more! ;o)

--
MotoFox
Originator of the word "enubulous"

philo

May 4, 2011, 6:56:18 AM5/4/11
On 05/03/2011 06:15 PM, MotoFox wrote:
> Hey, if you guys are still reading this--
> http://www.cpm.z80.de/
> http://www.cpm.z80.de/emulate.html (go down to the section labelled
> "ZRP/M files")
>
> They also have various distributions of CP/M86 and others under the
> "Digital Research Binaries" page.
>
> Long for those "good old days" no more! ;o)

Yep

I've seen a cp/m emulator

but there is noting like firing up an old Kaypro!

BillW50

Jun 18, 2011, 1:33:13 PM6/18/11
In news:4D9F9A00...@Guy.com,

98 Guy wrote:
> Pengui...@ping.com wrote:
>
>> Dated April 1, 2011
>
> This is actually no april fool's joke. The windows NT line of
> operating systems has been and will continue to be incredibly
> vulnerable to malware and remote take-over because of bad internal
> design and decisions made by Milkro$oft.

I found something like a 400 page write up of an UNIX programmer who
explains why Linux is far less secure than Windows NT versions. I had it
saved as an URL and I copied all of the pages. But somewhere they all
disappeared. Maybe it is still on some older computers I don't use
anymore. I should check to see if I can find it.

>> Click Here to infect your Windows computer with viruses and spyware.
>>
>> ,-----.
>> CLICK HERE ---> | \ / | <--- CLICK HERE
>> | / \ |
>> `-----'
>>
>> Absolutely FREE !!!!
>>
>> Sorry, this will not work on versions of Microsoft Windows prior
>> to Windows XP. You MUST use Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7
>> for this to take effect.
>
> You're forgetting about Windows NT and 2000. The term "internet
> survival time" was based on how long it took for a Windows 2k system
> to become infected by a network worm once it's connected to the
> internet. No user intervention required.

If you do a fresh install of Windows 2000, do no updates, have no
stealth firewall, and only visit one safe website, then yes that can
happen even within 90 seconds. But what noob would do that?

>> This service is provided free of charge as a courtesy from the
>> Linux users and programmers of the World.
>
> And by Win-9x/ME users.

I have been running Windows since '93 (started with Windows 3.1). And I
never had a virus yet. I guess about 20% of Windows users never had
either. And I would guess the vast majority of them are old and
experienced Windows users.

--
Bill
Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

MotoFox

Sep 22, 2011, 2:35:01 AM9/22/11
But, it also bears mentioning that the only truly "secure" computer
against Internet threats is one that's simply not connected to the
Internet at all (including through the Sneakernet.)

That goes for *x AND Window$.

--
MotoFox
Originator of the word "enubulous"

I just tell everybody to run Linux, myself.

The "users are idiots and are confused by functionality" approach of
Apple is a disease. If you design your OS for idiots, only idiots will
use it. I don't use a Macintosh, because in striving to be so simple,
they simply can't do what I need them to do.

Please, just tell everybody to go to Linux.

98 Guy

Sep 22, 2011, 8:41:10 AM9/22/11
MotoFox wrote:

> But, it also bears mentioning that the only truly "secure" computer
> against Internet threats is one that's simply not connected to the
> Internet at all (including through the Sneakernet.)

What post are you replying to?

MotoFox

Sep 22, 2011, 11:31:59 PM9/22/11
Go to http://eternal-september.org/RegisterNewsAccount.php and go
through the process (it's free.) Once you've done that, configure your
NNTP client to access news.eternal-september.org.

You'll see.

98 Guy

Oct 6, 2011, 2:57:33 AM10/6/11
MotoFox wrote:

> Go to http://eternal-september.org/RegisterNewsAccount.php and go
> through the process (it's free.) Once you've done that, configure
> your NNTP client to access news.eternal-september.org.
>
> You'll see.

I can't. I'm on Windows, so I can't use something better like Eternal-
September. That's why I'm stuck using AIOE.

I'm just not smart enough to use anything more secure to access the
Internet with.

John Williamson

Oct 6, 2011, 4:12:29 AM10/6/11
98 Guy wrote:
> MotoFox wrote:
>
> > Go to http://eternal-september.org/RegisterNewsAccount.php and go
> > through the process (it's free.) Once you've done that, configure
> > your NNTP client to access news.eternal-september.org.
> >
> > You'll see.
>
> I can't. I'm on Windows, so I can't use something better like Eternal-
> September. That's why I'm stuck using AIOE.

The majority of eternal-september users are on various flavours of Windows.

You need to use/ install a news reader such as Outlook Express or
Thunderbird (Both of which do e-mail as well), or possibly Agent or any
of a number of others.

Even OE6 on Windows 98 can be made secure by using a firewall and
anti-virus program.

You might have problems with Windows 95 or earlier.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

98 Guy

Oct 6, 2011, 7:20:07 AM10/6/11
"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> forged the identity of 98 Guy by
posting:

98 Guy

Oct 6, 2011, 7:21:27 AM10/6/11
John Williamson wrote:

> > I can't. I'm on Windows, so I can't use something better like
> > Eternal-September. That's why I'm stuck using AIOE.

> The majority of eternal-september users are on various flavours of
> Windows.

You're replying to a forged post. Forged by "Adam H. Kerman".

John Williamson

Oct 6, 2011, 7:29:42 AM10/6/11
And this should worry me how, exactly? I've never heard of either of you.

An opinion was stated, I attempted to correct that opinion.

Mozilla 4.xx on Windows 98? <Doffs hat> My compliments on keeping such
old software and, presumably, hardware going, sir.

98 Guy

Oct 6, 2011, 7:39:58 AM10/6/11
John Williamson wrote:

> > You're replying to a forged post. Forged by "Adam H. Kerman".
>
> And this should worry me how, exactly?

I didn't say you should be worried.

> Mozilla 4.xx on Windows 98? <Doffs hat> My compliments on keeping
> such old software and, presumably, hardware going, sir.

With KernelEx API enhancement, I can run a wide variety of NT/XP
software, such as Firefox 3 and 4, Opera 11, the current version of
Flash, Java JRE, etc.

As for hardware - a core2 3.5 ghz socket 775 CPU, 1.2 gb ram, NV6200
video card, a pair of 1.5 tb SATA hard drives.