Changing resolution without monitor?!?

Pelle

Nov 2, 2011, 8:07:00 AM11/2/11
Hello all,

I have 3 systems at home and I typically use VNC to use them (if
necessary). One of them is without a monitor - that's an old W2k
system that's still running fine. Don't want to buy a new license, but
it's not yet time to remove that old helper.
Since the monitor is removed, the display resolution has changed back
to a standard 1024x768. Once I reattach a monitor, I can upscale the
resolution to the desired values (don't remember which exactly, I
think it's 1680x1050). Without attaching a monitor, 1024x768 is the
maximum I can get. I cannot change the monitor type going to
properties->monitor. It is locked.
When connecting with VNC, I cannot display a larger screen than
1024x768 - which is annoying at least.
I'd be happy if there's a way to get a higher resolution.

Any hints highly appreciated.

Regards,
P.

BillW50

Nov 2, 2011, 8:27:39 AM11/2/11
In
Pelle typed:
It has been awhile since I fired up W2K, but doesn't it also have a
"Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" checkbox too under Display
properties? Once unchecked, all resolutions should be available.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

Pelle

Nov 9, 2011, 10:28:47 AM11/9/11
On 2 Nov., 13:27, "BillW50" <Bill...@aol.kom> wrote:
> Innews:bf7bf7f3-b609-4f49...@r2g2000vbj.googlegroups.com,
> Pelle typed:
>

> > Hello all,
>
> > I have 3 systems at home and I typically useVNCto use them (if
> > necessary). One of them is without a monitor - that's an old W2k
> > system that's still running fine. Don't want to buy a new license, but
> > it's not yet time to remove that old helper.
> > Since the monitor is removed, the displayresolutionhas changed back
> > to a standard 1024x768. Once I reattach a monitor, I can upscale the
> >resolutionto the desired values (don't remember which exactly, I
> > think it's 1680x1050). Without attaching a monitor, 1024x768 is the
> > maximum I can get. I cannot change the monitor type going to
> > properties->monitor. It is locked.
> > When connecting withVNC, I cannot display a largerscreenthan
> > 1024x768 - which is annoying at least.
> > I'd be happy if there's a way to get a higherresolution.
>
> > Any hints highly appreciated.
>
> > Regards,
> > P.
>
> It has been awhile since I fired up W2K, but doesn't it also have a
> "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" checkbox too under Display
> properties? Once unchecked, all resolutions should be available.
>
> --
> Bill
> Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
> Windows XP SP2

Dear Bill,

thanks for your reply. Yes, W2k has that checkbox. For some reason yet
unknown to me, this checkbox is disabled in my current setting. Do you
think this may be a matter of poor display driver programming?

Regards,
P.

BillW50

Nov 10, 2011, 4:43:33 PM11/10/11
In
>> Bill
>
> Dear Bill,
>
> thanks for your reply. Yes, W2k has that checkbox. For some reason yet
> unknown to me, this checkbox is disabled in my current setting. Do you
> think this may be a matter of poor display driver programming?
>
> Regards,
> P.

Oh... yeah I suppose. Along the same line is that W2K could be using a
generic video/display driver, if no monitor is connected. And if this is
the case, 1024x768 is probably the best that it can do.

I do something similar from time to time by using XP Pro "Remote Desktop
Connection". I generally use it to access remote laptops to control them
acting as DVR connected to DirecTV boxes or DTV. But they all have
screens. Even though the screens are turned off because the lid switch
is activated. Although all that does is to turn off the backlighting. As
Windows still sees the screen is still there.

--
Bill