windows update

fpefpe

Jul 7, 2012, 3:16:50 PM7/7/12
does anyone know if windows update has been stop for w2k?

Bruce Morgen

Jul 7, 2012, 3:46:51 PM7/7/12
fpefpe <fpesp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>does anyone know if windows update has been stop for w2k?

There are no new Windows updates
for Win2K -- that's one of the
reasons I finally bolted and
sidegraded (didn't feel like it
was much of an upgrade, very few
improvements of note) to WinXP.

BillW50

Jul 31, 2012, 1:26:00 PM7/31/12
In news:eg4hv71tufs3ci1ei...@4ax.com,
Bruce Morgen typed:
I don't think Windows Update will do anything for Windows 2000 anymore.
But you should be able to manually find SP1 through SP4 on Microsoft's
website. And you can find elsewhere of SP5. It is an unofficial SP that
contains all later updates for Windows 2000 after SP4.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

Bruce Morgen

Jul 31, 2012, 2:11:10 PM7/31/12
Too late, I already got
the kinks out of my WinXP
"sidegrade" and it's
working reliably (albeit
much more vulnerable to
malware than Win2K was) --
but thanks!

BillW50

Jul 31, 2012, 3:15:30 PM7/31/12
In news:1o7g18lpjrkr2pkk2...@4ax.com,
Bruce Morgen typed:
Actually my comment was met for fpefpe (OP). And I was just adding to
your comments.

Although in regards to your most recent comment, may I add my own
experiences? I have a couple of dozen computers here. And I stopped
using Windows 2000 back in 2005 and switched over to XP SP2. Later I
also run Windows 7 and 8 on two other machines.

Although because of a cramp drive capacity on one netbook with a
soldered on the motherboard 4GB SSD, and there wasn't enough room to run
XP SP2 too well. So about 2010 I installed Windows 2000 because it was
much smaller than XP SP2 in size. Plus it boots so much faster than XP
ever did. Very important on a netbook which gets turned on and off a
lot.

And the only thing negative I have with Windows 2000 is that the newer
software won't usually run under Windows 2000. So they won't run, or I
have to find older versions of the software that will run under Windows
2000. All and all though, I do find Windows 2000 still quite usable. ;-)

Bruce Morgen

Jul 31, 2012, 3:49:04 PM7/31/12
I agree -- were it not for
a couple of programs that