USB drive not working on XP

research_stuff

Nov 21, 2008, 10:13:58 PM11/21/08

I have a friend that possibly has Windows ME. The system is about 5
years old. When the friend tries to use the USB from the ME on the
system that is 2 years old (running XP) the USB drive does not work.

The friend is looking at upgrading the OS with ME to XP. Will the
upgrade fix the USB problem?

If the friend has Windows 98, will upgrading the OS to XP fix the USB
issue? (Could not find a discussion group on Winodws 98)

Thanks in Advance

Greegor

Nov 22, 2008, 6:41:24 AM11/22/08

I am also interested in getting USB 2.0 in
older computers under WinME.

My impression is that if you install a USB 2.0 card
into an older machine (With proper drivers for WinME )
that it would work.

Would CAB files in WinME support these
add in cards directly? (Without the driver CD with the card?)

Most of the cards use NEC PD720100 chipset
or VIA VT6212L chipset but there might be
others. Can somebody tell me if those chipsets
dictate that the cards require PCI 2 and up?

MANY of them out there seem to all require PCI 2.0, 2.1 or PCI 2.2
slots.

That would seem to be a big problem if
you want to use them to put USB 2.0 into
an old computer with early PCI slots.

This one says it has ME drivers and works in PCI 1.1 slots.
Most early PCI slots were actually 1.1 right?
How well do cards made for PCI 2 work in PCI 1.1 slots?

Search on 5 PORT VIA USB 2.0

http://cables4pc.com/upload/goods/c32577_via%20usb%20pci%20card-3.jpg

NEW 5 PORT VIA USB 2.0 High Speed 480MB/S PCI Card
Compliant with Universal Serial Bus Specification Revision 2.0
Compliant with Open Host Controller Interface Specification for USB
Rev 1.0a
Compliant with Enhanced Host Controller Interface Specification for
USB Rev 0.95
Support High-speed (480Mbps), full-speed (12Mbp s) and low-speed
(1.54Mbps) data transfer rate
32-bit 33MHz host interface compliant to

---------------------------
PCI Specification release 1.1
---------------------------

PCI bus-master access
Support up to 127 devices
Support device hot swap and wake-up
Sup port all USB-compliant devices
Support Microsoft Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP Operating system
Enhanced speeds: data moves up to 48 0Mbits/sec (Mb/s)
Hot-pluggable: allows plug and play connectivity
Compatibility: supports USB 1.1 and 2.0 under Windows 98 SE, Me , 2000
and XP
Reliability: complies with OHCI, EHCI and PCI standard
VIA CHIPSET USB 2.0 5 PORT (4 EXTERNAL PORT + 1 INTERNAL PORT) PCI C
ARD

Support Syst em
Windows 98 SE
Windows ME
Windows 2000
Windows XP

Package includes USB 2.0 PCI card, driver CD