WinRaR and PAR: What must I do right?

cindy williams

Dec 29, 2003, 11:57:22 PM12/29/03
Hi Guys, I downloaded a bunch of RAR files for Mariah Carey's
Christmas songs. They seem to be OK buy WinRAR says "you need to have
the following volume to continue extraction Mariah Carey Merry
Christmas.r01" when the volume is right in front of me! I decided to
download all the PAR and PAR2 files which appear to be good after
creating but didn't do much else. Previously when I click with other
PAR files, voila, everything goes magical (I still can't figure out
this PAR trick!) Are the files corrupted? If they are, not all I'm
sure. I thought PAR was supposed to repair or replace! I can't
redownload as they're all time-expired! Any suggestions?

Darryl Sperber

Dec 30, 2003, 1:00:00 AM12/30/03

(1) PAR files are used to repair/replace missing or corrupt RAR files. You
use a program such as FSRAID 2.7.0 to do that:

http://www.fluidstudios.com/freeware.html

The mathematics of PAR/RAR is such that you only need to download one unique
PAR file (of the set posted by the poster) for each missing/corrupt RAR file.
You don't need to download and use all of the PAR files in the posted set.

FSRAID is smart enough to examine the RAR files and PAR files you have, and
determine what needs to be done. It will graphically identify (by color)
which RAR pieces are missing/corrupt and which are just fine. You then
right-click on the missing/corrupt items and select "repair" from the popup
menu.

So, for example, if you need to repair/replace 3 out of 17 RAR pieces, you
only need to download 3 PAR pieces (plus the small PAR control piece, which
is always needed). And it doesn't matter which 3 PAR pieces you download...
the mathematics of the technology is smart enough to use whichever 3 you
have, to repair/replace the problem RAR pieces.

Of course this all assumes you need to use FSRAID to do repair or replacement
of corrupt/missing RAR pieces.

(2) There seems to be some confusion in either the naming of RAR pieces, or
what program is used to produce the RAR pieces. Your message about "you need
to have R01 to continue" may be such an example. The message may be a false
alarm, stemming only from the naming conventions... rather than from a truly
missing piece.

I usually just download all of the RAR pieces posted by the poster, and then
if the size of any piece looks strange (when viewed in WINRAR, before
beginning the extraction itself) I will run FSRAID against the set to see
what gives. And then if anything is corrupt or missing I'll download the
corresponding number of PAR pieces and let FSRAID repair everything.

--
//
// Darryl Sperber <dspe...@comcast.net>

cindy williams

Dec 30, 2003, 4:21:09 AM12/30/03
Hi Darryl, Thanks for the reply. I tried FSRaid and I can't load all
the PAR and RAR R01 to R10 files.. unable to read headers. Guess
they're all corrupted. Although the file size and numbers appear
correct???? UUUUrrgh!! Thanks all the same

Laura Fredericks

Dec 30, 2003, 7:30:48 AM12/30/03

--
Laura Fredericks
PGP key ID - DH/DSS 2048/1024: 0xC753039A

http://www.queenofcyberspace.com/usenet/

Remove CLOTHES to reply.

silva...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2013, 6:01:49 AM2/5/13
You can repair corrupted RAR files by using File Repair software. This software helps you to repair damaged or corrupted RAR files very efficiently.Moreover this software is availbel in free demo version you can download it and try for rapir damaged RAR file.
Visit: http://www.corruptfilerepair.net/rar.html
Download: http://www.corruptfilerepair.net/download/corruptfilerepair-rar.exe