Hal.dll file

ToBee

May 10, 2007, 6:31:56 PM5/10/07
With Partition Magic, I copied 1 win98se drive to another hard drive. I
also have XP home. At the boot up where the dual boot OS's are shown, I
click on the newer version. Windows comes back with a message that a
file Hal.dll is missing or corrupted and that I should reinstall the
file. I did a search out of curiosity on my previous Win98se and there
is no Hal.dll file shown and yet I had no problem running it in the
past. I suspect as with windows98, even after i reinstall Hal.dll, it
would come up with another file that is missing. XP has this file in
windows...but not aware that it could or should be used in its place.
Anyhoo, I tried to copy that file from my windows\options\cabs folder
and it also comes back with a message that Base4.cab cannot be opened.
I've tried all configurations and I always get an error. I used the
extract mode. I checked both partitions of the recent copy and all is
identical folder for folder....EXCEPT, for the windows folder. The
original shows 281 objects, 65.5MB and the newer version says 280
objects, minus 1, and the total of 97.5mb. Does anyone know why the
disparity in the MB totals, and yet I checked folder for folder and they
are similar..