Windows 98 to SErver 2k Networking Problem

Nicole Massey

Sep 7, 2007, 8:24:46 PM9/7/07
Okay, this is driving me nuts.

I have a 98SE machine that won't connect to the 2000 server. I'm the
administrator of the network, so I have full rights to do anything on the
system. The 98SE system has to run a pre-ME OS for some DOS programs that
have to be run on it, so upgrading the machine isn't an option.

It's not a hardware problem. The driver is known good, cabling and switch
are known good, NIC is also known good. The NIC is an Etherlink III 905c.
When we pulled the hard drive and put a drive running XP on the same
hardware it connected with no problems.

DHCP is assigned by the router, and all machines use floating IP's. That
said, even installing a static IP and reserving it in the router doesn't
seem to help. We've tried killing the OS install, moving all data off the
drive, reinstalling it, and downloading a fresh driver from 3com, but no
luck. The machine won't see the server, router, or any other machine in the
network. I've been told that when the machine can't verify domain it shuts
down the NIC driver, but I'm not sure that's actually the case. None the
less, no type of ping string gets a response. We've run winipcfg and
released IP's and nothing seems to give us any progress.

I need this machine to connect to the network for backups. running Net in a
DOS environment isn't going to cut it. Any suggestions? Is there something I
need to set on the server side for this? this is highly frustrating.