Actress Melissa McCarthy Said A "Volatile, Hostile" Set Left Her "Physically Ill": "There Were People Weeping"

Ubiquitous

May 23, 2023, 8:45:33 AM5/23/23
Actress Melissa McCarthy recently said she was once part of a “hostile” work
environment while working in Hollywood.

The 52-year-old star of the upcoming Disney remake of “The Little Mermaid”
didn’t name names but didn’t hold back while describing her version of the
experience.

“I did work for someone once who ran such a volatile, hostile set that it
made me physically ill,” McCarthy said during an interview with The Observer.
“My eyes were swelling up, I was absorbing all of this nuttiness.”

“There were people weeping, visibly so upset by this one person,” the
“Bridesmaids” alum said. “And I think that’s why the manipulation worked,
because to get to me this person would fire people I loved, which kept me
quiet. It was very effective. Then one day, I was like, ‘It stops today!’ I
just kept saying to them, it stops, it stops. And I know now I’ll never keep
quiet again.”

McCarthy plays the villain in the live-action version of “The Little
Mermaid,” which debuts in theaters Memorial Day weekend. She also spoke with
The Observer about making comedies.

“It’s a fist fight to try to get comedies made right now. And I don’t know
why, because we’ve never needed to laugh more,” the actress told the
publication. “Comedy allows you to sit next to somebody whose ideas don’t
match up. And maybe you come out a little closer. I think that’s what I’m
supposed to be doing in this world.”

“I can’t do a lot of useful things,” she went on. “I don’t know how to clean
up the oceans or stop our violent tendencies. But I can hopefully give
someone who’s had a bad day an hour and a half to go into a different world
where bills or illness isn’t the top thing on their brain. That’s the only
skill set I really have. So I have to keep trying.”

McCarthy won several awards in Hollywood, including two Primetime Emmy Awards
and nominations for two Academy Awards and two Golden Globe Awards. She’s
best known for her supporting role in the popular drama “Gilmore Girls” and
for her role in the hit comedy “Bridesmaids” (2011).

--
Let's go Brandon!

anim8rfsk

May 23, 2023, 9:07:05 AM5/23/23
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
> Actress Melissa McCarthy recently said she was once part of a “hostile” work
> environment while working in Hollywood.
>
> The 52-year-old star of the upcoming Disney remake of “The Little Mermaid”
> didn’t name names but didn’t hold back while describing her version of the
> experience.
>
> “I did work for someone once who ran such a volatile, hostile set that it
> made me physically ill,” McCarthy said during an interview with The Observer.
> “My eyes were swelling up, I was absorbing all of this nuttiness.”

She’s talking about herself, right? Or the audience reaction to her?

Ubiquitous

May 23, 2023, 2:12:21 PM5/23/23
anim...@cox.net wrote:

>She's talking about herself, right? Or the audience reaction to her?

Oh, that's just mean!