NPR Gets Slapped With Warning Label On Twitter, Lashes Out In Statement

Ubiquitous

Apr 6, 2023, 8:22:17 AM4/6/23
National Public Radio’s official Twitter account received the designation of
being state-sponsored media this week, angering left-wing journalists at the
company while eliciting mockery from conservatives online.

Under the account’s verification badge, the words “US state-affiliated media”
now appear. The organization does receive U.S. taxpayer funding.

Twitter has now correctly branded NPR as US state-affiliated media.
It is an accurate description. pic.twitter.com/ewg35r4xIL

— Ian Miles Cheong (@stillgray) April 5, 2023

platform, Twitter CEO Elon Musk shared the company’s policy on labeling
state-affiliated media.

“State-affiliated media is defined as outlets where the state exercises
control over editorial content through financial resources, direct or
indirect political pressures, and/or control over production and
distribution,” the Twitter policy says.

NPR President John Lansing lashed out at the designation, claiming that the
organization provides “independent, fact-based journalism.”

“We were disturbed to see last night that Twitter has labeled NPR as ‘state-
affiliated media,’ a description that, per Twitter’s own guidelines, does not
apply to NPR,” he said. “NPR and our Member stations are supported by
millions of listeners who depend on us for the independent, fact-based
journalism we provide.”

“NPR stands for freedom of speech and holding the powerful accountable,” he
claimed. “It is unacceptable for Twitter to label us this way. A vigorous,
vibrant free press is essential to the health of our democracy.”

NPR stands for freedom of speech & holding the powerful accountable.
A vigorous, vibrant free press is essential to the health of our
democracy.
My full statement on the recent inaccurate Twitter label below:
pic.twitter.com/kdusUNtNUo

— John Lansing (@johnlansing) April 5, 2023

NPR infamously refused to cover the Hunter Biden laptop scandal in the weeks
before the 2020 presidential election.

“We don’t want to waste our time on stories that are not really stories, and
we don’t want to waste the listeners’ and readers’ time on stories that are
just pure distractions,” NPR Managing Editor Terence Samuels said at the time
in explaining why the publication would not cover the story.

Actor Dean Cain responded, “Taxpayer money should NOT fund NPR.”

Daily Caller editor Vince Coglianese tweeted: “Notice that he doesn’t even
bother to acknowledge the role government funding does play in subsidizing
NPR. This is written like a statement from a political campaign.”

“‘[H]olding the powerful accountable’ — @NPR unquestioningly carried water
for the nation’s establishment & elite during COVID and submits to the same
political narrative that is uniformly espoused by the fed. government,
academia, Hollywood, medicine, science, and media,” said Bryan Griffin, press
secretary for Florida Governor Ron DeSantis.

--
Let's go Brandon!