Nuclear Slang

0 views
Skip to first unread message

William J. Meyerbeck

unread,
Apr 16, 2002, 1:04:33 PM4/16/02
to
The only nuclear slang words I can think of are:

1 - Boomer: missile boat
2. - Citybuster: large warheads designed to evaporate a city.

I am sure they there is much more. Anyone care to add?

bbb.tyan

unread,
Apr 16, 2002, 3:06:40 PM4/16/02
to
"William J. Meyerbeck" wrote:

> The only nuclear slang words I can think of are:
>
> 1 - Boomer: missile boat
> 2. - Citybuster: large warheads designed to evaporate a city.

broken arrow: stolen or *ups, sorry* lost warhead.

there are many more, have to search my bookmarks.

Message has been deleted

Derek Lyons

unread,
Apr 16, 2002, 8:05:12 PM4/16/02
to
"bbb.tyan" <ty...@phreaker.net> wrote:
>broken arrow: stolen or *ups, sorry* lost warhead.

That's not slang, but an official term.

D.

leto...@nospam.net

unread,
Apr 16, 2002, 9:01:31 PM4/16/02
to
In <a9hssp$sld$07$1...@news.t-online.com>, on 04/16/02
at 09:06 PM, "bbb.tyan" <ty...@phreaker.net> said:

>"William J. Meyerbeck" wrote:

>> The only nuclear slang words I can think of are:
>>
>> 1 - Boomer: missile boat
>> 2. - Citybuster: large warheads designed to evaporate a city.

>broken arrow: stolen or *ups, sorry* lost warhead.

Get it right. Broken Arrow in the USAF means an accident involving a nuclear
weapon has occurred. It means something else in the Army. I don't think the
Marines use the term at all -- at least I once asked a couple and they didn't
think so. But then again they were Marines. And I don't know what the Navy
calls it.

--
-----------------------------------------------------------
leto...@together.net
-----------------------------------------------------------

Xantrix

unread,
Apr 16, 2002, 9:36:32 PM4/16/02
to


How about Nuke: slang for nuclear weapon


Shardrukar

unread,
Apr 17, 2002, 1:32:31 AM4/17/02
to
In article <a9ijj0$gma$1...@knossos.btinternet.com>, "Xantrix"
<tom.ride@(spam)btinternet.com> writes:

>How about Nuke: slang for nuclear weapon
>

or to detonate a nuclear weapon


Derek Lyons

unread,
Apr 17, 2002, 3:46:14 AM4/17/02
to
leto...@nospam.net wrote:
>Get it right. Broken Arrow in the USAF means an accident involving a nuclear
>weapon has occurred. It means something else in the Army. I don't think the
>Marines use the term at all -- at least I once asked a couple and they didn't
>think so. But then again they were Marines. And I don't know what the Navy
>calls it.

Get it right yourself... Broken Arrow, Bent Spear, etc... Come down
from the DOE/DOD and are common across all services.

D.

leto...@nospam.net

unread,
Apr 17, 2002, 7:07:07 AM4/17/02
to
In <3cbd280...@supernews.seanet.com>, on 04/17/02

Really! I know any number of Army vets who tell me it had a different
meanting in the Army. So its not uniform. Maybe you need to do some
homework.

-----------------------------------------------------------
leto...@together.net
-----------------------------------------------------------

bbb.tyan

unread,
Apr 17, 2002, 7:33:27 AM4/17/02
to
Derek Lyons wrote:

> That's not slang, but an official term.

for me its slang, coz we got no us army. :) *wal*

Derek Lyons

unread,
Apr 17, 2002, 12:55:16 PM4/17/02
to
leto...@nospam.net wrote:

In <3cbd280...@supernews.seanet.com>, on 04/17/02
> at 07:46 AM, el...@hurricane.net (Derek Lyons) said:
>
>>leto...@nospam.net wrote:
>>>Get it right. Broken Arrow in the USAF means an accident involving a nuclear
>>>weapon has occurred. It means something else in the Army. I don't think the
>>>Marines use the term at all -- at least I once asked a couple and they didn't
>>>think so. But then again they were Marines. And I don't know what the Navy
>>>calls it.
>
>>Get it right yourself... Broken Arrow, Bent Spear, etc... Come down from
>>the DOE/DOD and are common across all services.
>
>Really! I know any number of Army vets who tell me it had a different
>meanting in the Army. So its not uniform.

They either misunderstood the question, or, for whatever reason,
fudged their answer.

>Maybe you need to do some homework.

I've done the homework, and the graduate level course. My t-shirt is
so old it's little but tatters... I did ten years working with
nuclear weapons son.

D.

leto...@nospam.net

unread,
Apr 17, 2002, 2:32:40 PM4/17/02
to
In <3cc0a7e9...@supernews.seanet.com>, on 04/17/02

>leto...@nospam.net wrote:

Post a URL proving the useage of the terms.

--
-----------------------------------------------------------
leto...@together.net
-----------------------------------------------------------

Derek Lyons

unread,
Apr 17, 2002, 7:57:29 PM4/17/02
to
leto...@nospam.net wrote:
>Post a URL proving the useage of the terms.

Proving what? Nice strawman to hide your lack of experience and
knowledge, but I ain't buyin. Do your own research.

D.

bevnsag

unread,
Apr 17, 2002, 9:41:16 PM4/17/02
to

leto...@nospam.net wrote:
>
> In <3cbd280...@supernews.seanet.com>, on 04/17/02
> at 07:46 AM, el...@hurricane.net (Derek Lyons) said:
>
> >leto...@nospam.net wrote:
> >>Get it right. Broken Arrow in the USAF means an accident involving a nuclear
> >>weapon has occurred. It means something else in the Army. I don't think the
> >>Marines use the term at all -- at least I once asked a couple and they didn't
> >>think so. But then again they were Marines. And I don't know what the Navy
> >>calls it.
>
> >Get it right yourself... Broken Arrow, Bent Spear, etc... Come down from
> >the DOE/DOD and are common across all services.
>
> Really! I know any number of Army vets who tell me it had a different
> meanting in the Army. So its not uniform. Maybe you need to do some
> homework.
>

I thought the terms were interservice, and that army pukes said
otherwise means nothing, as what would army pukes know? Not so much a
dig at army guys - I love you dearly - as much as trying to make the
point that going to regular service personnel for information is usually
the least reliable way to get it. Seriously. For example, while I was in
the AF, going to pilots for data on their planes was usually a waste of
time. They knew how to fly them, but didn't know spit about them. And
back in the days, the definitions of Broken Arrows and the rest were
still sensitive, though not exactly classified.
On the other hand, perhaps there is a new code? However, I'd still
suspect it would be interservice, as dealing with nukes is still a major
bugaboo.
On the other-other hand, maybe they saw "We were Soldiers" and got all
confused.

leto...@nospam.net

unread,
Apr 17, 2002, 10:35:42 PM4/17/02
to
In <3cbe0b9a...@supernews.seanet.com>, on 04/17/02

No its you who has the lack of experience. I was just giving you a chance show
your stuff -- and you don't really know do you!

I was in the USAF on installations with nuclear weapons, and I probably had a
higher security clearance with more speacat access then you ever dreamed of --
I do know full well what Broken Arrow means and when its used in the USAF.
Furthermore, I'm a writer and I don't have a problem communicating with
anyone. The Army fellows didn't misunderstand, or fudge their answers, nor did
I. The Army used "Broken Arrow" for a different situation.

Now there could be more uniform usage now, but it wasn't always so -- if it is
uniform even now.

So sonny, go stuff a sock in it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
leto...@together.net
-----------------------------------------------------------

Derek Lyons

unread,
Apr 18, 2002, 11:56:12 AM4/18/02
to
leto...@nospam.net wrote:

>In <3cbe0b9a...@supernews.seanet.com>, on 04/17/02
> at 11:57 PM, el...@hurricane.net (Derek Lyons) said:
>
>>leto...@nospam.net wrote:
>>>Post a URL proving the useage of the terms.
>
>>Proving what? Nice strawman to hide your lack of experience and knowledge,
>>but I ain't buyin. Do your own research.
>
>No its you who has the lack of experience. I was just giving you a chance show
>your stuff -- and you don't really know do you!

I did show my stuff, and you refuse to believe me.. Yet somehow you
think the ability to do a web search proves I do know my stuff? How
amusing.

>I was in the USAF on installations with nuclear weapons, and I probably had a

I was in the USN and worked *with* nuclear weapons. See the
difference between you and me? I have direct experience, you do not.

>higher security clearance with more speacat access then you ever dreamed of --

ROTFLMAO... The appeal from authority. Save it for the kiddies.

>Now there could be more uniform usage now, but it wasn't always so -- if it is
>uniform even now.

It's uniform now, and always has been.

D.

Derek Lyons

unread,
Apr 18, 2002, 12:01:00 PM4/18/02
to
bevnsag <bev...@attbi.com> wrote:
>I thought the terms were interservice,

All of the nuclear safety and security regulations are interservice.
What confuses those who've no direct experience is that they
frequently only see their service directive that implements the
DOD/DOE directive. It may also be a USAF/USA thing, I've noticed that
the Navy seemed to disseminate such materials to a lower level than
our brethern.

D.

leto...@nospam.net

unread,
Apr 18, 2002, 12:37:44 PM4/18/02
to
In <3CBE24AA...@attbi.com>, on 04/18/02

Broken Arrow and a few others are inter-service, at least in the sense that
the they originate from the Joint Chiefs office. That being said, I went into
my notes and noted that I once saw the Broken Arrow used in an Order of Battle
report. Years later I was listening to bunch of grunts standing watch on the
moving Vietnam Wall when they used it. As far as I knew there weren't any
nukes in-country -- and was sometimes involved with Siops, so I pretty much
knew where they were. I asked these guys how they used Broken Arrow, and they
put it in the context of being overrun.

In the last few years, I've seen other Army fellows talk about it too.
Including one, who was in the Signal Corps. who swears he saw in training with
the meaning of "being overrun."


--
-----------------------------------------------------------
leto...@together.net
-----------------------------------------------------------

leto...@nospam.net

unread,
Apr 18, 2002, 12:39:54 PM4/18/02
to
In <3cbfeb20...@supernews.seanet.com>, on 04/18/02
at 03:56 PM, el...@hurricane.net (Derek Lyons) said:

>leto...@nospam.net wrote:

>>In <3cbe0b9a...@supernews.seanet.com>, on 04/17/02
>> at 11:57 PM, el...@hurricane.net (Derek Lyons) said:
>>
>>>leto...@nospam.net wrote:
>>>>Post a URL proving the useage of the terms.
>>
>>>Proving what? Nice strawman to hide your lack of experience and knowledge,
>>>but I ain't buyin. Do your own research.
>>
>>No its you who has the lack of experience. I was just giving you a chance show
>>your stuff -- and you don't really know do you!

>I did show my stuff, and you refuse to believe me.. Yet somehow you think
>the ability to do a web search proves I do know my stuff? How amusing.

>>I was in the USAF on installations with nuclear weapons, and I probably had a

>I was in the USN and worked *with* nuclear weapons. See the
>difference between you and me? I have direct experience, you do not.

>>higher security clearance with more speacat access then you ever dreamed of --

>ROTFLMAO... The appeal from authority. Save it for the kiddies.

Just like your comment about 10 years in ....


>>Now there could be more uniform usage now, but it wasn't always so -- if it is
>>uniform even now.

>It's uniform now, and always has been.

Tell it to the US Army.

>D.
--
-----------------------------------------------------------
leto...@together.net
-----------------------------------------------------------

bbb.tyan

unread,
Apr 18, 2002, 12:50:32 PM4/18/02
to
Derek Lyons wrote:

> I was in the USN and worked *with* nuclear weapons.

ah, there we got the problem. :)

Tim at Zoom.co.uk

unread,
Apr 18, 2002, 1:48:52 PM4/18/02
to
Can I just say that I very glad the members of this group aren't armed with
nuclear weapons. I'm sure we would be in the middle of a nuclear winter by
now...

Allen Thomson

unread,
Apr 18, 2002, 9:36:47 PM4/18/02
to
el...@hurricane.net (Derek Lyons) wrote


> Get it right yourself... Broken Arrow, Bent Spear, etc... Come down
> from the DOE/DOD and are common across all services.


As in

www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/text/d523016p.txt
Department of Defense
DIRECTIVE
NUMBER 5230.16
December 20, 1993
ATSD(PA)
SUBJECT: Nuclear Accident and Incident Public Affairs
(PA) Guidance

[buncha snippage]


E2. ENCLOSURE 2

DEFINITIONS

[snip]

E2.1.2. BENT SPEAR. A Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
of Staff term used in the Department of Defense to identify
and report a nuclear weapon significant incident involving
a nuclear weapon or warhead, nuclear components, or
vehicle when nuclear loaded. This term includes a
significant incident as defined in DoD Directive 5100.52
(reference (c)).

E2.1.3. BROKEN ARROW. A Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
of Staff term to identify and report an accident involving
a nuclear weapon or warhead or nuclear component.
(See definition E2.1.23., below, nuclear weapon accident.)

[snip]

E2.1.10. EMPTY QUIVER. A reporting term to identify
and report the seizure, theft, or loss of a U.S. nuclear
weapon.

E2.1.11. FADED GIANT. A reporting term to identify
an event involving a nuclear reactor or radiological
accident.

Derek Lyons

unread,
Apr 19, 2002, 2:57:54 PM4/19/02
to

Arg0-

unread,
Apr 21, 2002, 11:52:52 PM4/21/02
to
There's also this one:

Nucflash

a.. Any accidental or unauthorized incident involving a possible
detonation of a nuclear weapon by U.S. Forces which could create the risk of
nuclear war between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R.

when I was in the AF(training on Minuteman II, III and Peacekeeper at
Chanute AFB, IL --training base now closed), we were just taught and trained
on Bent Spear, Broken Arrow, Empty Quiver and NucFlash. Faded Giant is a new
one to me.

Arg0


"Allen Thomson" <thom...@flash.net> wrote in message
news:501f9880.02041...@posting.google.com...

Barnaby Finch

unread,
Apr 25, 2002, 11:46:22 PM4/25/02
to
in article a9hlqt$ra7$0...@pita.alt.net, William J. Meyerbeck at
Meye...@NOSPAM.softhome.net wrote on 4/16/02 10:04 AM:

I like the term "shake" - 10 nanoseconds. I think it's roughly the time it
takes the average 1 Mev neutron to cover a distace of one mean free path (13
cm?) in fissile materials at maximum normal densities, IIRC.

Barnaby

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages