How to successfully return a car battery to WalMart

George Orwell

Mar 10, 2008, 7:02:00โ€ฏPM3/10/08
The jerk behind the counter will test your allegedly defective car battery
for electrical performance with a battery tester. This tester applies an
electrical load and simultaneously measures output voltage. If the voltage
is low, the battery fails. WalMart has designed this test to pass bad
batteries off as good. Read on.

The trouble is, if the battery is discharged or worse, won't hold a charge,
the test is invalid. Since the batteries sold today are sealed, the state
of charge, as could be tested with a battery hydrometer is impossible.
Recognizing this, the rigged battery tester charges the battery first,
giving it a surface charge. This surface charge allows worn-out batteries
that won't hold a deep charge to pass the electrical performance test and
gives the WalMart automotive expert an excuse to pronounce your dead
battery, "good." Once you reinstall this "good" battery in your heap, it
won't crank worth shit. Worn-out batteries can hold a surface charge, but
not a deep charge needed for cold starts.

Listen up, I learned this from my auto shop teacher, who's a fellow WalMart
hater. When you drag your battery back to WalMart, you've got to make sure
the battery is dead as a door nail. It must read zero-zero on the battery
tester scale and not accept the surface charge. Here's what to do. Wear
eye and hand protection & use a screwdriver to neatly pry off the cover to
expose openings to the six cells. Pour out all the battery acid in the
gutter and flush it down the street with a garden hose. Refill the cells
with a 5% table salt water solution and replace the cover. Your battery
will assuredly flunk the battery test with a zero reading that is
irrefutable, even by the crook who manages the service department. You
will get your new battery to enjoy at WalMart's expense!

https://www.mixmaster.it

major_A@thefire

Mar 11, 2008, 8:15:07โ€ฏAM3/11/08
What the fuck is the matter with you? Why go through the exercise?
You're the kind of person who would set yourself on fire and then find
some really neat way to put out the flames so you'd look intelligent.

michae...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2012, 4:12:11โ€ฏPM12/27/12
Washing battery acid down the storm sewer? What the hell?

Ralph Mashuda

Dec 30, 2012, 10:48:52โ€ฏAM12/30/12
The answer is to take it, in the car, to Autozone. They will test it
thoroughly and give you an honest diagnosis. I took a two year old battery
in my car to a different store than the one I bought it from. It tested bad,
and they, at no charge, replaced it with the identical 5-year warranty
battery.

wrote in message

wat...@mypad.com

Jan 30, 2013, 7:18:09โ€ฏAM1/30/13
On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 13:12:11 -0800 (PST), michae...@gmail.com wrote:

>> Listen up, I learned this from my auto shop teacher, who's a fellow WalMart
>> hater. When you drag your battery back to WalMart, you've got to make sure
>> the battery is dead as a door nail. It must read zero-zero on the battery
>> tester scale and not accept the surface charge. Here's what to do. Wear
>> eye and hand protection & use a screwdriver to neatly pry off the cover to
>> expose openings to the six cells. Pour out all the battery acid in the
>> gutter and flush it down the street with a garden hose. Refill the cells
>> with a 5% table salt water solution and replace the cover. Your battery
>> will assuredly flunk the battery test with a zero reading that is
>> irrefutable, even by the crook who manages the service department. You
>> will get your new battery to enjoy at WalMart's expense!

I got a better idea.
DONT BUY THE CRAPPY BATTERIES SOLD AT WALMART TO BEGIN WITH.
THEY'RE JUNK!

Then you wont have to do this, and you also will not kill off a bunch of
fish in a nearby lake, river or stream, because storm sewers drain into
them.

darc...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2014, 4:26:43โ€ฏPM2/1/14
walmart burned me on an everstart 4 years battery..told me to go back to the manufacturer for prorate after battery being just two years old...I asked "what was I to do in the meantime to start my car" reply: buy another battery from us...NOT!! went to autozone ...never again for me
Message has been deleted

cahil...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2014, 10:55:28โ€ฏPM6/12/14
I read these post but went to return my failed everstart battery anyway. For $100 why not give it a shot? I had to wait in the usual lengthy customer service line but they took my battery back with no receipt and no problem. They scanned the bar code on the battery to verify that it was within warranty and that was that.
I should have grabbed the new battery for exchange before waiting in the customer service line. Would have saved some time.
I am no Walmart fan and the one near me - just outside of Baltimore is a mess but if you have a bad battery from Walmart give the warranty return a shot.

jamins...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2014, 5:21:47โ€ฏPM6/21/14
I had no problems returning my untampered normal bad battery, if they do pass your battery and you are still experiencing difficulties try charging it, looking for other potential causes such as a bad connection or a power leak such as a radio that is wired directly to the battery(personal experience) get your alternator checked and if you still have problems get it checked somewhere else. BTW THE ONLY THING DUMBER THAN WALMART'S SABOTAGE OF THE AMERICAN ECONOMY IS SOMEONE WHO WOULD DUMP BATTERY ACID DOWN THE GUTTER.

Shoplifter6756

Aug 19, 2014, 2:59:08โ€ฏAM8/19/14
Mmmmm, Salt, I see.

I dumped the acid and filled it up with baking soda water but it still passed the so called test.

Going to try the salt and see what happens.

Thanks for the very good post.

powder...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2014, 1:31:37โ€ฏAM8/31/14
I'm not sure what all you ass wipes are jumping down this guys throat for. He obviously has dealt with the idiots at Walmart before and knows that the only way he will get them to honor the warranty is to purposefully destroy the battery. Why bring in a battery that you know is close to getting ready to die only to have some dipshit try to scam you out of getting your still under warranty replacement. I would do EXACTLY the same thing before I brought my battery in. Baking soda, water & salt... whatever the fuck it takes to make sure the damn thing is DEAD DEAD DEAD!
As for pouring the acid out down the gutter, If you just added a bit of the baking soda to it you have made it at least as harmless as the gallons of oil and transmission fluid, Not to mention all the yard fertilizer running down those same gutters.
Nothing you people on the internet like to do better than sit at home and contradict everything others write. Why don't all you brain surgeons and rocket scientists go look in the mirror and see the ass wipe looking back at you. The one that thinks he knows all the answers.
I have a couple of Walmart batteries & so far they seem O.K. But it's only been about two years . I been meaning to go look at my warranty and see if it's free replacement up to two years. If it is I just might be planning a little electrolyte dump & water fill myself just to get two fresh new batteries! If you think thats not moral, Go right your fucking Congressman.

mrwrig...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2014, 7:42:01โ€ฏPM12/30/14
George I appreciate yoyr post about the experience you had with walmart. I took yr advice and it worked well for me. I almost didn't pour the acid out but after I took the battery done to wally world. I realized they were going to charge the battery and give it back. So I went home and poured the acid out and replaced it with salt water. Theyou couldn't charge it so they gave me a new battery. And for all you so-called environmentalist I didn't dump the acid down the sewer. Thanks George for the advice but I won't buy another battery from wally world again

angel...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2015, 10:37:52โ€ฏPM2/25/15
You don't have to be an environmentalist to know that battery acid is an extremely hazardous material and when improperly disposed of leads to this toxic waste being leeched into the soil and drinking water supply. They are recycled for a reason. Don't forget the tiny cancer causing lead particles from the lead plates within the battery that are swimming in the battery acid. But who cares, right? It's only cancer...

dennisqu...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2015, 11:29:30โ€ฏAM3/8/15
To hell with walmart. There a joke and totally unhelpful. They deserve to take a hit once in awhile. If they didn't sell junk from other countries. They wouldn't have these problems. But it is your problem for shopping there.

lucky...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2015, 4:25:18โ€ฏAM3/18/15
Your all obviously stupid people for harrasing this fella. Battery acid is water.... With a surplus of sulfur ions. Does not damage your local blow fish poplulations because its done interacted with everything along the way. What poisouns you morons water supply is the lead which he took back to WAL MART!!!!!! Dumbasses. Seriously be smarter than a 5th grader.

roki...@gmail.com

May 15, 2015, 8:27:39โ€ฏPM5/15/15
On Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 2:25:18 AM UTC-6, lucky...@gmail.com wrote:
> Your all obviously stupid people for harrasing this fella. Battery acid is water.... With a surplus of sulfur ions. Does not damage your local blow fish poplulations because its done interacted with everything along the way. What poisouns you morons water supply is the lead which he took back to WAL MART!!!!!! Dumbasses. Seriously be smarter than a 5th grader.

Speaking of smarter than a 5th grader...

"Your" is a possessive pronoun. "You're" is a contraction. A combination of "you are". I think you meant "You're"

"harrasing" is not a word. I think you meant "harassing".

"poplulations" is not a word. I think you meant "populations".

"Its" is a possessive pronoun; it modifies a noun. "It's" is a contraction of "it is" or "it has". I think you meant "it's"

"its done interacted" - where in the hell are you from? Maybe in red neck/Walmart speak that works, but perhaps (since you were schooling everyone on how stupid they are) you may have appeared a little smarter yourself if you had gone with "it's interacted" or "it has interacted".

"poisouns" is not a word. I think you meant "poisons".

Here is your (<--notice the proper use of your) new, cleaned up to the best of my ability, rant letting everyone know that they are stupid, dumb ass morons who are no smarter than 5th graders.

"You're all obviously stupid people for harassing this fellow. Battery acid is water.... with a surplus of sulfur ions. It does not damage your local blow fish populations because it has interacted with everything along the way. What poisons you morons water supply, is the lead, which he took back to WAL MART! Dumb asses. Seriously, be smarter than a 5th grader."

By the way - Car or automotive battery acid is 30-50% sulfuric acid (H2SO4). I'm pretty sure it will eat living tissue seeing as it has no problem dissolving metals and rocks. But yes, lead is bad too.

bass...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2015, 6:18:26โ€ฏAM6/24/15
Getting a return not much of a problem, the date the warrantee starts is, I just did my second return on batteries purchased 4 years ago and learned the warrantee does not start over when you get a replacement, so after the three years free replacement, you are better off doing a new purchase. You pay nearly full price after 3 years anyway.

asus...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2015, 9:14:20โ€ฏAM11/19/15
I am rather disgusted with the Chinese Battery situation in America, thanks to the EPA banning American manufacture within the USA and the Chinese usage of cheap, impure alloys of metals for the plates, thus guaranteeing that these batteries will strand you after sitting in the driveway overnight, especially during winter.

Now, I am disabled and can't walk any distance. So IF I go to Walmart and the guy pulls out his "probe", I get verbally abusive and INSIST they replace the battery due to my legs, knees and rt. foot being rebuilt.... I truly have NO interest in screwing around with stuff from a country that has NO Q.C. inspection standards in place for the assembly lines and is manned by communist slaves.... who jump off the Apple Iphone factory roof, by the way.... so no wonder batteries from that hellhole aren't reliable!

I did take matters into my own hands this morning though after reading thru the thread, I pulled both the (+) and (-) anodes off the battery, cleaned the caps of grease, cleaned the clamps also AND Crushed them for a tighter fit, went 'round to get in and start, the added contact from cables to battery tips was just enough to kick the Corolla right over!

So whoever mentioned cleaning the contacts, replacing OLD battery cables under the hood, using dielectric grease under the clamps, those are GOOD POINTS and you should do these BEFORE running anywhere or sabotaging the cells with SALT. Mine was near dead but after de-greasing, re-clamping and tightening VERY hard, it solved the trouble.

estokb...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2015, 3:58:31โ€ฏPM12/14/15
You are the biggest moron i had ever encountered. Die man, just kill yourself....scum

tdev...@gmail.com

Dec 26, 2015, 11:31:38โ€ฏPM12/26/15
How old was your car battery I have one that's bout 6 months old but I don't need it nomore an would like to just return it

dondh...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2016, 8:37:50โ€ฏPM1/4/16
i think all this hate is gr8, if you have a itchy vagina it can make you pissy
Message has been deleted

jwigg...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2016, 9:17:15โ€ฏPM4/9/16
Went to Wal-Mart when after only about 1,000 miles or less driving there awesome ever start plus battery wouldn't crank. Was told there was nothing they could do since it was past there 90 day return date. They said we could call the manufacturer but they could do nothing. On the walk back to my car I called the 800 number and was told no that Wal-Mart most certainly had to honor the 2 yr warranty and to go back inside and the service rep for ever start would tell Wal-Mart what was what. Went back in and within 10 minutes was refunded the amount in cash! Went to pep boys and with a promo code and no core to return still paid less than Wal-Mart's crappy battery. After only 3 months Wal-Mart battery crapped on me! Buyer beware.

757ink...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2016, 2:58:51โ€ฏPM4/11/16
๐Ÿ˜ถ really?

rowangrah...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2016, 4:55:34โ€ฏPM4/29/16
The big environmental concern with batteries is the heavy metals (LEAD) they contain. Battery acid is mostly sulfuric acid which, although it is a strong acid, is not hard to dilute and neutralize, at which point it can be safely dumped. I would take the extra step of adding some baking soda but yeah down the drain with it.

Might have been good for George to just MENTION that you should be careful about getting that stuff on you, but then again that's pretty obvious isn't it?

Here is the answer I like least out of all these

"You don't have to be an environmentalist to know that battery acid is an extremely hazardous material and when improperly disposed of leads to this toxic waste being leeched into the soil and drinking water supply. They are recycled for a reason. Don't forget the tiny cancer causing lead particles from the lead plates within the battery that are swimming in the battery acid. But who cares, right? It's only cancer... "

WOW. True, USED batteries that have corroded plates will leach lead into the electrolyte solution. Here we are talking about a newer battery that has failed because it is junk, not because of use. New lead acid batteries are not classified as hazardous in the same way that ULAB (Used Lead Acid Batteries) are.

So no you don't have to be an environmentalist to weigh in on this but you should know what you are talking about.

robro...@gmail.com

May 3, 2016, 2:45:20โ€ฏPM5/3/16
No problems with Walmart -- they exchanged without a test. I'm happy, but the dead fish floating on the pond in the park aren't so happy (I submerged battery in reeds overnight...sortof a Moses thing). Anyway, it was pretty cool with the DEC and police tape around the whole thing while some schmuck got $20 an hour to pick-up and count dead fish and frogs. The newspaper made it sound like lead poisoning! Go figure

robro...@gmail.com

May 3, 2016, 2:47:11โ€ฏPM5/3/16

str...@gmail.com

May 16, 2016, 4:03:21โ€ฏPM5/16/16
awesome man thank you for the info a lot of jerks on your post when you can't afford a new battery or when you have to just get something for the meantime these Are awesome. Thanks Again

fredha...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2016, 12:19:02โ€ฏPM8/23/16
On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 9:37:52 PM UTC-6, angel...@gmail.com wrote:
> You don't have to be an environmentalist to know that battery acid is an extremely hazardous material and when improperly disposed of leads to this toxic waste being leeched into the soil and drinking water supply. They are recycled for a reason. Don't forget the tiny cancer causing lead particles from the lead plates within the battery that are swimming in the battery acid. But who cares, right? It's only cancer...

Yeah, and we're all dying from gluten poisoning. Sulphuric acid *is not* poisonous. It's just an acid that will burn the heck out of most things it touches if it's straight out of a battery. If it's diluted the burning problem goes away. By the way, when your eyes burn from onions, that's sulphuric acid.

rache...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2016, 12:30:44โ€ฏAM9/23/16
I have a relative that works there and I showed him this thread and he busted out laughing and then became immediately infuriated. So I give you...

How To Actually Return A Walmart Battery...

There are many secret hacks and loopholes and special not so hidden tricks to return your battery. Many doors, Ed boys.
What to expect: you walk in, they test your battery, say it's dead, you get a return and skip merrily home to your family have a casserole, hail Donald trump, go to bed.
What you got: a no, a manager no, your panties in a knot, a domestic charge for beating your wife, a shank in the side in prison.

BUT WHY DID THIS HAPPEN?!?!
Because you thought you knew it all and didn't ask any questions and just grabbed a battery off the shelf and put it in your POS heap of junk and put off any real problems onto your future self. To that I say BAD CUSTOMER! You need to pay attention to ANYTHING you put in your car that you probably spent thousands of dollars on. "So tell me, Ms. Know-it-all, what am I supposed to do?"

Step 1...purchasing your battery. Make sure it is the proper size battery for your vehicle THEN focus on budget. Don't just grab a battery off the wall and stick it all willy nilly in your car, you twat, that's how feelings get hurt, particularly your car. If you can't afford it, perhaps a used(do I really need to say temporary) battery is more your league. Tip: if you need the battery asap, try signing up for a Walmart credit card. You get instantly approved and you can start using it right then and there on that very purchase and save 10% when you do (it comes off on your bill)."but why does that matter?" Because putting the wrong battery in your vehicle VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY (BUM BUM BUUMMMMMM). That is possible with anything. Shove your iPhone up your ass and see if your warranty still applies when the strength of your Anus sucks the home button off the phone.

Step 1A...save your reciept. "You expect me to keep a reciept for 3 years?!" Yes. Any halfwit can tell you that you should always save paperwork from any service you do to your vehicle. "But where will I put my gun when my glove box fills up with reciepts?" Up your ass or in your new car; if car reciepts/paperwork fill up your glove box, you are getting too much stuff done and need to get a new car. "But I'm too lazy/too forgetful to put my reciept in my glove box after I purchase it." Hold on to your tits because you hold the secret in your hands or in your pocket...YOUR CELL PHONE!!! Take a picture of your reciept then email the picture to yourself and keep your reciepts that way. As long as they can see that transaction number they can return your battery with no issues.
Step 1B...Have Walmart install the battery. It archives it and saves your info for you. "I don't trust my car in there, they hire halfwits" says the guy who can't keep a reciept. All you need to know how to do in order to replace a battery is know what the color red is and know how to use a ratchet. Fun fact, acording to that skill set, a dolphin can change your car battery. And indeed it turns out the carny rejects they hire have exactly that skill set.

Step 2...Servicing your battery. Don't. Walmart batteries are NONSERVICABLE BATTERIES. If there is any evidence of you prying those tops off, you have VOIDED THE WARRANTY(BUM BUM BUUMMMMMM). So this whole "pop the tops off and dump the battery" thing actually won't work. Drive your vehicle regularly to make sure your alternator charges your battery and you will be fine.

Step 3... Returning your battery. It's happened some how, some way, you left your car lights on overnight and now your car won't crank. You take it in and get it tested. Now pay attention...

They will test your battery in an UNTAMPERED BATTERY TESTER THEY GOT FROM A LOCAL DISTRIBUTOR. Sometimes it will immediately say replace battery. Sometimes it comes back discharged or severely discharged in which case a full load test will ensue and it will tell you the results at the end. If it says serverely discharged, your battery is dead. "How can I avoid the 30-90 minutes of waiting for the results?" Pull up outside the automotive department where you hopefully had them install your battery and show them your reciept, they'll test it on a portable tester, get your battery replaced for free/prorated. If they didnt install it you can still pull up outside, show the reciept and they will replace it. If your car is not with you, you have to do the load test. If it says good battery, still take your vehicle to get checked to see if you have any further issues.

No reciept? This is where it gets complicated.

They can attempt to look up your serial number to see if the battery is eligible to be exchange. Usually it will say that it isn't. "IT MUST BE RIGGED!!" Actually it's because the system is busted. For far too long people would steal batteries right off the shelf or out of somebody's car then go to customer service and ask for a return, say they don't have a reciept and then they get hundreds back. Walmart realized this was a problem and changed the policy to reciept only. This pissed off the average Joe who didn't keep reciepts and thus the serial number system was born. The idea was to soothe the customers mind and tell them the warranty isn't in the system for reasons unknown. What home office doesn't realize is that that never works. Customers become even angrier and demand to speak to even higher authority as if Sam Walton himself will rise from the grave and replace their battery for them.

HERES THE TRICK: DON'T BE AN ASS HOLE. If you walk in, cooperate with staff, be cool, be nice and understanding, they might be willing to help you out. This is true with all retail. "But I like being an asshole" well then carry your ass holiness up to customer service, have them look up your credit card information and they will find you that golden transaction number and then you can return your battery after mist likely having to speak with several members of management and looking like a total jackass.

Step 4...oooooo bet you didn't know there was more. Yes, there is. Your warranty will only last as long as your original purchase warranty "wat?" It's simple. If you bought a 2 year battery in 7/2015 and then replaced it in 4/2016, then your warranty still stays until 7/2017.

****

As for credibility, I bought a 1 year warranty value power Walmart Battery in 9/15 and here it is 9/16 and my car still runs fine.

wil...@tampabay.rr.com

Oct 14, 2016, 3:04:32โ€ฏPM10/14/16
For all those screaming about the acid killing the planet because he rinsed it down the street you are being ridiculous. Sufuric acid is not harmful in the LEAST disposed of in the way he described. Sulfuric acid is dangerous especially to the eyes but you can pour 33% sulfuric acid (concentration in a battery) in your dry open palm and it won't hurt you. Now if your palm is wet it will sting a bit in time but a quick rinse and you are fine. Sulfuric acid is used as the active ingredient in most drain cleaners. Once mixed with water and diluted it is harmless to the environment. Sulfuric mixed with water is used to irrigate acid loving crops to acidify the soil. At the waste water plants they actually add sulfuric acid to the waste water as one of the steps of treating the water.

Think some of you have watched too many bugs bunny cartoons:)

martyt...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2016, 11:08:54โ€ฏPM10/21/16
Pour the acid down gutter? Absolute genius. If you hate Walmart, buy your battery somewhere else. It's not that hard to figure out. You have to be a Democrat.

trma...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2016, 7:34:07โ€ฏPM10/28/16
Dump the acid into a jar and if they refuse to replace your battery, throw it on them. That will teach them.

geom...@yahoo.com

Nov 25, 2016, 10:12:50โ€ฏAM11/25/16
> Il mittente di questo messaggio|The sender address of this
> non corrisponde ad un utente |message is not related to a real
> reale ma all'indirizzo fittizio|person but to a fake address of an
> di un sistema anonimizzatore |anonymous system
> Per maggiori informazioni |For more info
> https://www.mixmaster.it

ok first there are only 2 battery mfgs. in us. because of EPA regs. i hauled batteries for EXIDE and when they lost the contract it went to JOHNSON CONTROLS in tennesee. exide made the ones for AUTOZONE, AUTO AMERICA NAPA K-MART AND A HOST OF OTHERS JOHNSON CONTROLS made INTERSTATE and some others.WAL-MART batteries are johnson controls now.wal mart tests the batteries or you could go to autzone for a first opinion.mine was tested and failed 2 days before warranty was up and they replaced it for free being the 5 year max. there are more walmarts than others so its a no brainer. those of you who want free batteries for life are users and go thru life woring harder to get free than just being square.

cjfm...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2016, 3:26:09โ€ฏAM11/29/16
Great post George, I HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME I AM DISABLED AND GOT THE SAME PROBLEM SO I JUST PUT SALT WATER IN THE CELLS AND AM TAKING IT BACK TOMORROW 11/30/16 I BEEN A MOTORCYCLE REPAIR GUY FOR 40 YEARS IN THE MOTORCYCLE BUSINESS AND THE BATTERY'S AT WALMART ARE BAD ANYWAYS I HAVE BOUGHT 4 MOTORCYCLE BATTERY'S FROM THERE AND THEY ALL SWELLED UP NOW MY TRUCK BATTERY JUST WHEN DEAD SO BACK IT GO'S TO IF ANYONE OF YOU WANT A GOOD BATTERY GET A AC DELCO OR INTERSTATE THERE THE BEST ONE'S ON THE MARKET. I BOUGHT THE 5 YEAR ever start AND IT'S ONLY BEEN GOOD FOR 1 YEAR THAT IS ABOUT THE TIME LIMIT ON THERE BATTERY'S AND ALSO I DON'T PUT Battery Acid DOWN THE STREET ANYWAYS BUT I WOULD LIKE TO THROW THE DAM BATTERY AT THERE SERVICE GUY !!!! Great Post

micr...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2017, 10:53:25โ€ฏAM1/8/17
Keep your receipt. Make a copy. Scan it into your computer. Do this without fail. Also immediately copy the serial number off the battery and store that with the copy of the receipt because they will use that against you.

So the "trick" Walmart can use to decline your valid warranty is this....
Let's say you've had your battery 2 years and it's a Maxx Everstart with a 3 year free replacement and 2 years prorated after that.

But... You cannot find the receipt. Walmart scans the battery and tells you that this battery is already a replacement and that you exchanged it 4 years ago.....so even though the sticker indicates the battery is only 2 years old, they're telling you you have no warranty because their computer says it is a replacement for an even older battery you already exchanged.

Problem is....what if you never exchanged it. Their computer says you did. Even if you went through the expense to get a lawyer they could ultimately claim "computer glitch" oops. But noone's gonna do that over a battery right?

So how can you prove that you never exchanged the battery if they say their computer says you did (remember, you don't have your receipt)?
At least with a receipt you could show them when you purchased the battery.

Your receipt is your only possible defense. That's why if you do not have a receipt, expect them to deny your warranty claiming the battery you're returning is already a replacement for an older battery you brought back a year or more ago already. I can't prove they do this, but would you put it past them?

stor...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2017, 1:52:18โ€ฏPM1/17/17
On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 3:04:32 PM UTC-4, wil...@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> For all those screaming about the acid killing the planet because he rinsed it down the street you are being ridiculous. Sufuric acid is not harmful in the LEAST disposed of in the way he described. Sulfuric acid is dangerous especially to the eyes but you can pour 33% sulfuric acid (concentration in a battery) in your dry open palm and it won't hurt you. Now if your palm is wet it will sting a bit in time but a quick rinse and you are fine. Sulfuric acid is used as the active ingredient in most drain cleaners. Once mixed with water and diluted it is harmless to the environment. Sulfuric mixed with water is used to irrigate acid loving crops to acidify the soil. At the waste water plants they actually add sulfuric acid to the waste water as one of the steps of treating the water.
>
> Think some of you have watched too many bugs bunny cartoons:)

seriously will? So you think that lead has no effect on the environment? No wonder tampa bay is in such sad shape.

rhou...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2017, 10:19:56โ€ฏPM1/20/17
Ya know I agree with the others as far as dumping hydrochloric or sulfuric acid whichever down a Stormonth drain is by all means not good advice. But to the critics regarding his methods to dealing with the high power corporate mogul known as walmart. I had a similar experience, where I spent over 100 dollars on a battery that gave up early on. So, I stood in line , explained, had to sit around for over an hour while they overcharged my battery.
Trust me I admit I'm not a patient person, but I waited thinking that walmart would honor the warranty. The auto employee returns with my battery that now swollen and seething battery acid and informs me they can relate it because it was holding a charge. Hah. Wtf. I was like your kidding me right?. Nope he was dead serious. I even got the manager from automotive to talk to.
Long story, longer.
I wasn't given a replacement battery, worse, now I have an overweight, overcharged battery ready to explode in the backseat of my car. And as soon as I put it in my truck, it's cracking amps are done. No I agree do what you have to, to kill that battery and make them honor what you paid for.
Just don't pour the acid into your towns water system. All bad.
But other than that , it shouldn't matter Wtf you buy it, a warranty is a warranty. If they sell shitty batteries then they shouldn't warrant them as new.

samhi...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2017, 7:10:24โ€ฏPM4/20/17
Nice post mate, i had a similar experience. They charge the battery and say it's good, but once you go back to your car it don't crank at all.
Message has been deleted

bradin...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2017, 3:27:49โ€ฏPM6/17/17
I have a simple answer for this. I learned it 2 years ago. Don't buy a battery from Walmart. Period.

zeldaa...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2017, 6:45:26โ€ฏPM6/24/17
What difference does it make if someone misspelled some words we all
know what he meant!

ragz...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2017, 10:06:11โ€ฏPM9/7/17
I did take my 2nd walmart batthere in to auto zone who returned it to me doa took it to oriellys who tested and said it has a bad cell won't hold a charge .walmart now is in another county and won't even answer the phone leaving Mr stranded with no idea which 60 mile direction to drive a rental car in to find a replacement wtf? Why would auto zone replace walmart garbage ? Your response is even less helpful

ragz...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2017, 10:14:44โ€ฏPM9/7/17
Two years LOL YOU DID GOOD mine is 4 months old and replaced it once already so make it 3 mon the old. And I'm stranded . Unfortunately I bought two of these pos battery's one for my car one for my rv a deep cell BOTH FAILED AND HAD TO BE REPLACED IN UNDER A MONTH AND THIS IS NOW A FAILED REPLACEMENT I would not have even bought from walmart had I had lived in the middle of no where and that was the only option besides Auto zine who is no better now if I want to replace thus battery have to RENT A CAR OR BUY A NEW ONE AND CAN'T AFFIRM TO DO EITHER WALMART SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE for selling SHUT DEFECTIVE products and making it impossible to return them at great risk to the safety of those their products leave stranded on the side of the road . I am sick of being robbed and let high and dry to rent a car and drive 60 miles just to get them to RETEST THIS ALREADY TESTED CHUNK OF USELESS GARBAGE I'M SORRY I EVER SET FOOT IN THEIR STORE THEY ARE TORTURING PIGS TOO DON'T SHOP THERE

ragz...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2017, 10:24:14โ€ฏPM9/7/17
Exactly. .and you my friend are lucky your bafter lasted 2 years as mine lqsted 3 months after it was replaced the first 4 weeks . Now I don't even live where there's a walmart (Santa Cruz,CA refused to let them open here THANK GOD ) now I will never have to deal with getting caught in one AGAIN I already had stopped buying food in the Sonora location I won't support the factory farming they use to torture pigs and their gMO produce is taste less and won't even go bad after weeks in the fridge. I don't want any tomato in my body that stays fresh as long g as a McDonald's pink goo burger ..GOOD LUCK WALMART SHOPPERS you all have the combined IQ of a potato if you continue shopping there. And ps DON'T BUY THEIR WATER EITHER IT'S LACED WITH TOXINS TO STERILIZE YOU . Google it if I'm wrong.

ragz...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2017, 10:27:17โ€ฏPM9/7/17
You are correct about the toxins and environment but recycling just means that they will dump that cap in bulk and where they can hide the fact they dumped it it still has to go somewhere ND it will end up in the environment regardless of who you send it to for safe disposal. They DONT CARE AND NEVER WILL

bdi...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2017, 4:43:54โ€ฏPM9/22/17
I think you meant "Their" not "There"

pdbo...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2017, 4:34:09โ€ฏPM11/5/17
I had a 2 year warranty walmart batt replaced twice already..... no hassle at all.
In fairness to the batteries, my alternator was also bad.

raselme...@gmail.com

Nov 12, 2017, 10:36:57โ€ฏAM11/12/17
What a fuck? What is wrong with you?๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜  You don't have a human heart! You are giving advice to kill mother Nature only for a man made resource 'a battery'. Very sad after reading this comment๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข

nosa...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2017, 10:11:15โ€ฏPM12/4/17
I know this comment is years later but... Flushing battery acid down the gutters is wrong. You are a planet killer,

whit.of...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2017, 2:23:16โ€ฏAM12/11/17
This guy..... genius!!๐Ÿ‘

edwe...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2017, 10:08:28โ€ฏAM12/20/17
I love how you blame customers as being stupid for picking items off a shelf and buying them at a store. I mean yeah I know now that Wal-Mart batteries are shit and they don't honor warranties...

I tried the nice guy route with them. They charged it up and tested it and said it looked fine. My mechanic said the charging system was fine. 3 days later the battery is dead and I'm stranded (again).

If raising holy hell will get them to honor the warranty they were supposed to honor in the first place I guess that's the next step.

I guarantee you many people watching will be saying "damn right" in their hearts. Who roots for mega corporations sticking it to common folk?? (Hint: assholes)

yayas...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2017, 6:05:05โ€ฏPM12/29/17
Thanks for the info. So my question is can I return my battery after 7days due to Tue reason being that it wasn't a new battery that I needed it was actually my wiring so I just want my refund cuz I don't need the battery. Can they refund my money? And separately if I don't have a receipt for a battery return and they check system and say that there is no purchase for that serial number, what can I do to get my refund?

lindasba...@gmail.com

Jan 2, 2018, 12:23:43โ€ฏPM1/2/18
If you paid with a credit card and take it to the exact same store they can find the purchase in their system and if it is within 90 days. However, they updated their return policy. No receipt, no refund. Use their walmart app and walmart pay to catch the digital recepits and you have a copy of ypur receipt. Plus your credit card company has a warranty/refund policy in some states too.

humm...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2018, 2:37:58โ€ฏAM1/17/18
On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 9:14:20 AM UTC-5, asus...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am rather disgusted with the Chinese Battery situation in America, thanks to the EPA banning American manufacture within the USA and the Chinese usage of cheap, impure alloys of metals for the plates, thus guaranteeing that these batteries will strand you after sitting in the driveway overnight, especially during winter.
>
> Now, I am disabled and can't walk any distance. So IF I go to Walmart and the guy pulls out his "probe", I get verbally abusive and INSIST they replace the battery due to my legs, knees and rt. foot being rebuilt.... I truly have NO interest in screwing around with stuff from a country that has NO Q.C. inspection standards in place for the assembly lines and is manned by communist slaves.... who jump off the Apple Iphone factory roof, by the way.... so no wonder batteries from that hellhole aren't reliable!
>
> I did take matters into my own hands this morning though after reading thru the thread, I pulled both the (+) and (-) anodes off the battery, cleaned the caps of grease, cleaned the clamps also AND Crushed them for a tighter fit, went 'round to get in and start, the added contact from cables to battery tips was just enough to kick the Corolla right over!
>
> So whoever mentioned cleaning the contacts, replacing OLD battery cables under the hood, using dielectric grease under the clamps, those are GOOD POINTS and you should do these BEFORE running anywhere or sabotaging the cells with SALT. Mine was near dead but after de-greasing, re-clamping and tightening VERY hard, it solved the trouble.

Late to this....but the EPA has never banned auto battery manufacture in the U.S. Ever hear of Johnson Controls...the world's largest battery maker?

This is from 2016: "Johnson Controls said Monday it plans to invest $445 million to double production capacity of its advanced car batteries in North America"
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/06/13/johnson-controls-doubling-car-battery-output-us/85830032/

Wait.....expand American production? How can that be if the EPA shut down all production in America?

Reason? The EPA didn't ban production of batteries in the U.S., numbskull. East Penn batteries, Exide, Johnson Controls, Interstate, and others are all manufactured in the U.S.

Learn some facts before spouting off drivel.

sea9...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2018, 7:42:37โ€ฏPM1/18/18
Sell it on letgo

gravel...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2018, 11:12:10โ€ฏPM2/7/18
this is happening to me right now . i have the maxx battery with a purchase date / manufacture date of 12/2015 advertisement on mine says 3 year full replacement and 2 year pro-rated....i have been lucky in the past with a swap but not anymore . i have lugged this thing to 2 stores after having it in and out of my vehicle with this cold snap . it is shot and walmart throws a little juice in it and the tell me its ok/ i have had it on trickle charge for 2 days put it in and car gets to point "a" then craps out . i have my own load tester and alt. is ok . it just wont hold a charge and THEY ARE PUTTING THE BONE TO ME AND I AM SICK OF IT " i cant blame this fellow and his frustration. i cant let my wife take the car with the kids. this battery was 79 bucks plus tax that i cant afford to throw away.

prpbul...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2018, 3:59:23โ€ฏPM2/26/18
Well after reading all of the negative experiences I almost said the heck with it and just but a new one but I figured I would at least try once. I did decide to take it to Walmart nearest to me that does not have a auto center and to my surprise they took it back and gave a warranty exchange without asking 20 questions. So I guess you never know. Oh and I did not have my receipt.

edb...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2018, 10:12:41โ€ฏPM3/10/18
Shit probably wouldn't work at the WalMart near me. Bought an Everstart es12tx for my four-wheeler because it didn't have a battery when I bought it. 3 days later, that is, today I went for a ride and shut down at a gas station. Came out, the battery was hotter than hell and gassing out, thought it was gonna explode. Brought it in and they told me that they can't replace it if I used it. If it tested bad, then they could. Well it tested bad and because it appeared to have a burn on the negative terminal where I initially didn't have the negative cable fully tightened when trying to crank after installing, basically wouldn't take it back saying I shorted it or it got shorted somehow, which I checked for and found to not be the case. Charging system was fine too since I had a similar battery I was borrowing until I got a new one. Here's to hoping in the next year or so Walmart becomes nothing more than a bad memory rather than a cancerous reality that it is now.

jennifer...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2018, 2:41:55โ€ฏAM6/19/18
Hahahaha

subze...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2018, 6:44:53โ€ฏPM7/6/18
Actually I just had some luck with just going in and having them do their silly little battery test and of course, my battery came up fine, just discharged so I asked them to charge it for me. They told me it should be done in an hour or so. I left and came back like 3 hours later and had them check the battery for me and it said the battery needed replacement. lol

aspen...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2018, 2:25:11โ€ฏPM11/8/18
Please dont flush acid down the street!! It takes the smallest amount to kill wild birds and pets.

rel...@marioncountyhigh.org

Dec 12, 2018, 4:43:49โ€ฏPM12/12/18
i really think i am gonna have to agree with maj dude......dont you think that is going to a crazy degree on a battery....

rel...@marioncountyhigh.org

Dec 12, 2018, 4:45:22โ€ฏPM12/12/18
On Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 8:15:07 AM UTC-4, maj...@thefire wrote:
> What the fuck is the matter with you? Why go through the exercise?
> You're the kind of person who would set yourself on fire and then find
> some really neat way to put out the flames so you'd look intelligent.

premie...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2019, 3:12:11โ€ฏPM1/8/19
Is the sticker on the batter "17" enough proof that the battery is still under warranty? Couldnt this be tampered with? I'm sure I've purchased a new battery in the past that was still under warranty. I had lost my receipt and assumed " tough shit" she was obviously sold a new battery. Now whether the clerk knew this or not is in the past but all-in-all..... If my battery's not holding a charge... And it's in year 3 of 5 under warranty.. the sticker is good enough?

premie...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2019, 3:20:06โ€ฏPM1/8/19
Why not? You obviously know how to fuck them over now. Sounds like you're not very fond of them anyways... May as well

gdpowe...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2019, 9:33:10โ€ฏPM1/23/19
Just go to the Walmart with your receipt proving that you bought the battery at Walmart, get it tested, and if they try to pull the ol "This battery is good" shit on you, look the $10 an hour person in the eye, and say "Take me to your Leader", and when you get to the leader,just explain it to him or her and let them know you have the Walmart Corporate phone number. I gaurantee you will get your battery.

cristin...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2019, 5:04:50โ€ฏPM2/7/19
I still have warrant on my batter and they want me to pay $150 to replace it๐Ÿ˜ฅ

lynch...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2019, 6:16:46โ€ฏPM3/1/19
This guy is a true mechanic right here. Only someone whoโ€™s dealt with Wal-Mart bullshit is clever enough to come up with such a brilliant hack. Right on

bdd...@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2019, 4:11:19โ€ฏAM3/28/19
To say Walmart Batteries are inferior to say Autozone or most other places that sell reasonably priced batteries is silly. They are almost certainly manufactored the same way, by the same Company. There are only a couple of these Companies that produce nearly all the batteries sold here.
I buy all the batteries for my vehicles at Walmart. Same battery, great exchange policy.
I have had very good luck exchanging batteries at Walmart. They pulled the "this battery is holding a charge" balony on me once. I knew for a fact that the battery was bad.
I took it home and after a few days I reinstalled it. Then I turned on the headlights. Drained that battery for a day and a half.
Walmart replaced it.
Anybody who is returning a known bad battery to Walmart, that is still on warranty, should drain it dead so it can't show a false , "holding a charge", reading from their test equipment. Do not open the battery and play with acid. Besides voiding the warranty, even people experienced in handling electrolyte will burn things once in awhile.

jcm...@gmail.com

May 20, 2019, 4:29:21โ€ฏPM5/20/19
Horrible experience.
If you buy the battery from online you're screwed.
It took me over two hours to exchange it.

muhamma...@gmail.com

May 24, 2019, 6:12:10โ€ฏAM5/24/19
Sir, do u got battery replacement without refund receipt or not (if u loss receipt)

tilem...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2019, 3:41:08โ€ฏPM12/6/19
I purchased 4 TV batteries from Walmart two days ago,120 each,one is bad will not hold a charge. After 4 days,still will not replace with another untill the battery is dead as fuck.Its worth dumping salt in your battery ,walmart will not cover anything under warantee,ever

elct...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2019, 7:34:28โ€ฏPM12/9/19
Wow! It's only a discussion about returning a car battery. There is no need for such hateful ugliness, that nobody likes to even read, much less try to understand your perspective....just saying less anger and more love is the most effective method of successful communication!

wolfsm...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2020, 5:57:30โ€ฏPM4/25/20
I bought the 5 year ever start battery, and brought it to autozone to test after 6 months, cause I had to keep charging it, and it would still go dead if it got cold, or didn't use it for 2 days. They said the battery was no good. Walmart said they had to charge the battery overnight, did that and gave it back to me. I tested with a multimeter upon return, and it read 12.2 volts. After half an hour arguing, I showed the manager the reading i got, and the autozone test, and he gave me another battery. These Walmart staff can be very anal about their warranty. Better solution is to sue in small claims court next time. If you go thru the trouble, they will either settle or win if you have proof, such as autozone test.

wolfsm...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2020, 6:52:42โ€ฏPM4/26/20
I returned the defective battery yesterday with no problems, and they didn't try to charge the battery cause the auto center was closed due to covid 19. So the return was trouble free. We will see how it works out once they reopen the auto centers. I had 14 months until the warranty was up so i received a credit of $29 off the new battery. I did not have my receipt, but they scanned the barcode on the battery, and pulled up my receipt from almost 4 years ago. Whole thing took about 10-15 minutes.

justinal...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2020, 7:03:36โ€ฏAM7/31/20
Sulfuric acid is literally in many drain openers. People put it down the drain all the time. Just saying

Shambhalin Gardens

Sep 12, 2023, 5:21:37โ€ฏPM9/12/23
Thanks! That is what I needed to know!!!