Re: Internet relationship--wanting to marry

kissalicious1975

Mar 17, 2007, 12:25:23 PM3/17/07

> So he intends to enter the US with the intent of marriage to on the VW
> That would be called Immigration Fraud ......
>
> And you decided on getting married although you have never
> met in person ..
>
> Jeez!!! brains of a duck !!!!

I could imagine you wouldn't share my view, but i was only, and might i
say, politely asking for an answer to my question, not to be chastized.

Manc

Mar 17, 2007, 12:31:26 PM3/17/07

> I could imagine you wouldn't share my view, but i was only, and might
> i say, politely asking for an answer to my question, not to be
> chastized.

don't listen to Ray.
he's just an old bastard.
Get married, I don't give a chuff either way.
it works for some on the VWP and some get hassled.
you pays your money you take your chance.

Ray

Mar 17, 2007, 12:17:23 PM3/17/07

> Ok, here's the scenario....My british boyfriend and i (us citizen) are
> meeting for the first time in person in roughly three weeks. We have
> been talking online and on the phone for several months now and he
> will be coming here under the VWP. I know Jay is the man i love and
> want to be with forever and i know he feels the same way about me. I
> make a pretty decent salary (more than above the 125% poverty line) so
> i feel no worry in being able to support us both for even a long time,
> if necessary, until all the paperwork is processed. However, over the
> longhaul, i would see that it would be somewhat of a financial strain
> for either of us to continue to go back and forth from the US to
> England, especially since we both are certain of what we want.
> Granted, it's a bit late in the game for me to be pondering these
> particular questions, however, better late than never..lol. He did
> resign from a job he hated, of which he had been employed to for
> nearly a year (and aside from that, i don't know of too many companies
> that would hold your position for 3 months anyway, i know mine
> wouldn't). And seeing that he no longer is gainfully employed, he
> moved in with his uncle and aunt, as he knew he would be coming to see
> me soon anyway. Soooo, here it is, he has no job, no residence of his
> own (i.e. mortgage/lease). He will be able to provide a bank
> statement, credit card bills, and funds for supporting himself while
> here, and obviously a "return" ticket home. Does anyone think he will
> have great difficulty at the POE, even if he says he's just here on a
> holiday to visit friends, even though obviously he intends to stay and
> for us to get married(he will only have his clothing and personal
> effects when he arrives). I would GREATFULLY appreciate someone being
> able to put my mind at ease on this matter.
>
> Sincerely,
> Stacey

So he intends to enter the US with the intent of marriage to on the VW
..

That would be called Immigration Fraud ......

And you decided on getting married although you have never
met in person ..

Jeez!!! brains of a duck !!!!

Ray

Mar 17, 2007, 12:30:28 PM3/17/07

> I could imagine you wouldn't share my view, but i was only, and might
> i say, politely asking for an answer to my question, not to be
> chastized.

Not chastizing.. I dont care if he is deported or not ...
or is even let into the country ...

But you just told the world how you intend to break the Law ....

meauxna

Mar 17, 2007, 12:32:02 PM3/17/07

> So he intends to enter the US with the intent of marriage to on the VW

> That would be called Immigration Fraud ......
>
> And you decided on getting married although you have never
> met in person ..
>
> Jeez!!! brains of a duck !!!!

Um, no it wouldn't, Ray.
Intent+marriage=AOS application = different story.

Viva Las Vegas!

DollyLlama

Mar 17, 2007, 12:21:43 PM3/17/07

> So he intends to enter the US with the intent of marriage to on the VW

> That would be called Immigration Fraud ......
>
> And you decided on getting married although you have never
> met in person ..
>
> Jeez!!! brains of a duck !!!!

Why the hurry to get married?
Maybe you should get to know him in person first......

kissalicious1975

Mar 17, 2007, 12:09:17 PM3/17/07

Sincerely,
Stacey

Noorah101

Mar 17, 2007, 12:44:44 PM3/17/07

I took this to mean he will stay long enough to get married within his
90-day VWP stay, and then will return to the UK for visa processing.

Rene

Ray

Mar 17, 2007, 12:36:48 PM3/17/07

A bit blatant that ...

Noorah101

Mar 17, 2007, 12:40:30 PM3/17/07

> What ..speak English ...

It's 100% acceptable for him to enter on the VWP and get married. Then
he must return to the UK before his 90-day stay is up. It's *not* ok
to come to the USA on the VWP and get married *with the intent to stay
and adjust status to permanent resident*. The OP did not say he was
going to stay and AOS, she only said they're going to get married,
which is fine.

To the OP, as for him being let it, it's up to the POE officer. No one
can really say either way.

Best Wishes,
Rene

kissalicious1975

Mar 17, 2007, 12:38:47 PM3/17/07

> Um, no it wouldn't, Ray.
> Intent+marriage=AOS application = different story.
>
> Viva Las Vegas!

Well, it's just that i've been reading over a lot of the posts on here
the past couple of days and i've heard both sides of the fence. I hear
others saying, "We got married while under the VWP and everything is
fine". I'm not some horrible law breaking person, not even so much as a
speeding ticket...i just want to know how things are likely to be
handled at the POE with the information i have provided, be it ethically
or legally to other's liking...i would just appreciate some kind words
of advice.

kissalicious1975

Mar 17, 2007, 12:46:26 PM3/17/07

> It's 100% acceptable for him to enter on the VWP and get married.
> Then he must return to the UK before his 90-day stay is up. It's
> *not* ok to come to the USA on the VWP and get married *with the
> intent to stay and adjust status to permanent resident*. The OP did
> not say he was going to stay and AOS, she only said they're going to
> get married, which is fine.
>
> To the OP, as for him being let it, it's up to the POE officer. No
> one can really say either way.
>
> Best Wishes,
> Rene

Errr, no i must be honest here as well, i would want him to stay in the
US with me and file AOS...sorry <smile>

Noorah101

Mar 17, 2007, 12:56:54 PM3/17/07

> Errr, no i must be honest here as well, i would want him to stay in
> the US with me and file AOS...sorry <smile>

Ah, OK, that clears that up. I must be too naeive. I wouldn't think
you would want to do something illegal.

Rene

fatbrit

Mar 17, 2007, 1:00:04 PM3/17/07

Popcorn, anyone?

I do love these questions!

kissalicious1975

Mar 17, 2007, 1:02:19 PM3/17/07

> Oh well, you were right....sigh....lol

Please, i'm not trying to be dishonest, i just think the money would be
better spent paying for all the filing fees and such, i'm not trying to
be difficult, just frugal, i suppose (call it what you will..lol). But
as i've read on here countless times, whether legal in the eyes of
immigration or not, the fact is that it would appear that people do it
everday and seem to have no issues with doing so.

Noorah101

Mar 17, 2007, 12:42:46 PM3/17/07

> Well, it's just that i've been reading over a lot of the posts on here
> the past couple of days and i've heard both sides of the fence. I
> hear others saying, "We got married while under the VWP and everything
> is fine". I'm not some horrible law breaking person, not even so much
> as a speeding ticket...i just want to know how things are likely to be
> handled at the POE with the information i have provided, be it
> ethically or legally to other's liking...i would just appreciate some
> kind words of advice.

Work out a Plan B in case he can't get into the USA. If he can't,
then you go to the UK and visit him in person. If you still feel
he's the one for you, come back to the USA and start a fiance visa
petition for him.

I think you will need a particular type of visa if you want to get
married in the UK.

Rene

Ray

Mar 17, 2007, 12:35:26 PM3/17/07

> Um, no it wouldn't, Ray.
> Intent+marriage=AOS application = different story.
>
> Viva Las Vegas!

What ..speak English ...

Ray

Mar 17, 2007, 12:46:45 PM3/17/07

> I took this to mean he will stay long enough to get married within his
> 90-day VWP stay, and then will return to the UK for visa processing.
>
> Rene

Your kidding me .... must be me going senile then ....

Noorah101

Mar 17, 2007, 12:57:09 PM3/17/07

> Your kidding me .... must be me going senile then ....

Oh well, you were right....sigh....lol

fatbrit

Mar 17, 2007, 1:07:58 PM3/17/07

> Please, i'm not trying to be dishonest, i just think the money would
> be better spent paying for all the filing fees and such, i'm not
> trying to be difficult, just frugal, i suppose (call it what you
> will..lol). But as i've read on here countless times, whether legal
> in the eyes of immigration or not, the fact is that it would appear
> that people do it everday and seem to have no issues with doing so.

You appear to have done your research well.

kissalicious1975

Mar 17, 2007, 1:11:51 PM3/17/07

> You appear to have done your research well.

lol i mean, perhaps other have and endless supply of money, not to
mention vacation time to forge these long distance relationships,
however, i do not..lol. And besides, if you know what you want, why
should two people be apart from one another, right?

meauxna

Mar 17, 2007, 1:13:30 PM3/17/07

> lol i mean, perhaps other have and endless supply of money, not to
> mention vacation time to forge these long distance relationships,
> however, i do not..lol. And besides, if you know what you want, why
> should two people be apart from one another, right?

How do your kids feel about it?

Noorah101

Mar 17, 2007, 1:20:33 PM3/17/07

> lol i mean, perhaps other have and endless supply of money, not to
> mention vacation time to forge these long distance relationships,
> however, i do not..lol. And besides, if you know what you want, why
> should two people be apart from one another, right?

And neither did my fiance and I. That's why we spent 14 months apart
while waiting to do it the legal way. Since your bf is British, the
wait won't be anywhere near that long. I think for the sake of doing
things the legal way, a separation of around 6 to 8 months is worth it,
to be together forever in the long run.

USCIS does not share your idea. And for you guys, USCIS has the final
say in what happens with his adjustment. Wouldn't it be much harder for
you guys to go through all this the way you want, only to be told at his
AOS interview that he must return to the UK and start all over?

Rene

kissalicious1975

Mar 17, 2007, 1:16:13 PM3/17/07

> How do your kids feel about it?

KIDS??? lol...i don't have kids...where did that come up? <smile>

kissalicious1975

Mar 17, 2007, 1:31:02 PM3/17/07

> Is this his first trip to the USA, and he is going to book his return
> flight for 3 months down the road on his first trip. I think this
> alone is going to put up some red flags when he enters.

Yes, it will be his first trip to the USA, or for anywhere outside of
England for that matter. But if he said he was coming for holiday, to
see NY, Disneyworld, etc, and that he has a friend that lives in
Kentucky, why couldn't someone do that, especially a guy, just because
he wants to?

Macieo

Mar 17, 2007, 1:23:06 PM3/17/07

> KIDS??? lol...i don't have kids...where did that come up? <smile>

To answer your original question I do not think you will have any
trouble but I am not an expert. My husband came over as a tourist but it
was not something we planned we got married and he stayed we got a
lawyer and they did the paperwork. You do not even know this man though
so why don't you take it as he is coming to visit and maybe if it works
out you we will get married. What if you don't have any chemistry when
you get together? My husband has a friend who actually did get married
to some girl from Argentina it worked out for them but I think you
should actually be with each other in real life before you make such a
commitment.

Deedee13

Mar 17, 2007, 1:24:25 PM3/17/07

> And neither did my fiance and I. That's why we spent 14 months apart
> while waiting to do it the legal way. Since your bf is British, the
> wait won't be anywhere near that long. I think for the sake of doing
> things the legal way, a separation of around 6 to 8 months is worth
> it, to be together forever in the long run.
>

> USCIS does not share your idea. And for you guys, USCIS has the final
> say in what happens with his adjustment. Wouldn't it be much harder
> for you guys to go through all this the way you want, only to be told
> at his AOS interview that he must return to the UK and start all over?
>
> Rene

Is this his first trip to the USA, and he is going to book his return

flight for 3 months down the road on his first trip. I think this alone
is going to put up some red flags when he enters.

Message has been deleted

Macieo

Mar 17, 2007, 1:36:39 PM3/17/07

> Yes, it will be his first trip to the USA, or for anywhere outside of
> England for that matter. But if he said he was coming for holiday, to
> see NY, Disneyworld, etc, and that he has a friend that lives in
> Kentucky, why couldn't someone do that, especially a guy, just because
> he wants to?

That is exactly what my husband did he came to visit me. I think the
issue people are having is that you are saying in advance that you plan
on getting married and then having him stay. I did get married this way
and my husband did stay in the USA but we did not plan on doing things
that way it just happened. I was never questioned by the INS or anything
but I can only speak for myself.

conisby

Mar 17, 2007, 1:37:34 PM3/17/07

> Popcorn, anyone?
>
> I do love these questions!

Me too,

Simon finds comfy chair, sits back, cracks open a beer, and awaits more
entertainment.

OOH the naivety....

britvic

Mar 17, 2007, 1:40:21 PM3/17/07

> Yes, it will be his first trip to the USA, or for anywhere outside of
> England for that matter. But if he said he was coming for holiday, to
> see NY, Disneyworld, etc, and that he has a friend that lives in
> Kentucky, why couldn't someone do that, especially a guy, just because
> he wants to?

I did it like that first trip over in 98, but we was a couple six months
in England first, it seem's to be much harder now since 9.11. Then we
just did the two years of going back and forth to each other's
country's, to finally
marry in 2000 in England, moved over here June 02 and now moving back
this October.

Jenney & Mark

Mar 17, 2007, 1:40:05 PM3/17/07

> Please, i'm not trying to be dishonest, i just think the money would
> be better spent paying for all the filing fees and such, i'm not
> trying to be difficult, just frugal, i suppose (call it what you
> will..lol). But as i've read on here countless times, whether legal
> in the eyes of immigration or not, the fact is that it would appear
> that people do it everday and seem to have no issues with doing so.

People usually say this because they know that they ARE being dishonest,
or are about to be, no matter how they try to spin it.

Under that logic, then people don't need to bother with auto insurance,
even if it's required by law. There are lots of people who drive cars
that aren't covered by insurance and nothing ever happens to them, so
you might as well save your money since everything will probably be ok
for you, too, right?

Only it would really suck if you happened to get pulled over for some
reason and the cop asks for your proof of insurance. Or worse, if you
were in an accident and really needed that insurance coverage. But hey,
at least you saved yourself a few bucks, right?

Immigration is not the time to be frugal. This is a life-changing event
that you don't want to screw up by being cheap. Especially when you
apparently make "more than above the 125% poverty line."

Your story and ours is nearly identical. US/UK couple, met online, did
the online thing for 7 months before being able to meet. Mark (UK) had
never been to the States before; it was only his second time outside of
England (he went to France for a two-day school trip once). He quit his
job two weeks before coming to the States on the VWP to finally meet and
visit me. We were so convinced we would end up getting married that we
researched US immigration prior to Mark arriving, etc. We were even
around your age (early 30s -- I'm assuming you're 31 or 32 based on your
username).

However, unlike you I did NOT make over the 125% minimum income required
to sponsor the K1 visa. I only got one week of paid vacation annually,
which I used during his month-long visit to the States. Given this and
the fact that he had no job to return to, no house to sell, etc, it
would have been extremely easy for him just to stay, get married, and
apply for permanent residency. But we didn't do that. That's because
even though we were dying to be together, doing things legally was more
important to us almost anything else. The last thing we wanted to do was
risk jeopardizing his immigration efforts.

So he went back to the UK and we started the K1 process. I quit my low-
paying (but well-liked) job and got a much higher-paying (but hated) job
to meet the financial requirements. Five months later he had his K1 visa
in hand. That was 4 years ago next week; we are now just about to send
in his naturalization application. To date, we have had (knock wood!) no
problems immigration-wise, and have handled the stresses it can present
extremely well. I feel that's due in large part to the fact that we
learned from the very get-go how to be patient and thorough with the
process, starting with the I-129F petition.

~ Jenney

Deedee13

Mar 17, 2007, 1:39:02 PM3/17/07

> Yes, it will be his first trip to the USA, or for anywhere outside of
> England for that matter. But if he said he was coming for holiday, to
> see NY, Disneyworld, etc, and that he has a friend that lives in
> Kentucky, why couldn't someone do that, especially a guy, just because
> he wants to?

because.... because its america.

americans get one week holiday off a year. mr uk comes over for 3.
first red flag.

second red flag. never been here before and comes first time for 3
months

third red flag. three months is the max that anyone can spend on a vwp.

fourth red flag. he is unemployed.

fifth red flag. he lives with relatives does not have his own place.

six red flag. he has a friend that lives in kentucky, a brit? or someone
else he has never met before?

need i go on.???

seventh red flag. there are over 12 million illegals, including out of
status in the USA. is he 12 million and 1?

eighth red flag. GC on marriage is easier than most other ways to get
into this country and fastest.

ninth red flag. They turn away people every day at the airport because
of red flags like i just said and i dont think u want him to be on the
list that gets turned away do u?

i sent u a Pm.

something worries me tho, u have never met him. he might be lousy in
bed? he might be a slob, he might have lots of "friends" he has never
met. He might be aggressive. He might stink. he might be a looser. These
things u cant see on the internet or over the phone.

I hope ur not paying for his plane ticket.

kissalicious1975

Mar 17, 2007, 1:53:43 PM3/17/07

> He had just graduated from college he lived with his parents so no he
> did not have any loose ends well apart from student loans he still has
> not paid back. He came about 2 weeks after he graduated and he did not
> have a job yet. Oh and yes he did stay.

How long did he intend to stay for and how long did you wait until you
got married?

fatbrit

Mar 17, 2007, 1:57:41 PM3/17/07

> lol i mean, perhaps other have and endless supply of money, not to
> mention vacation time to forge these long distance relationships,
> however, i do not..lol. And besides, if you know what you want, why
> should two people be apart from one another, right?

You didn't invent the crazy system but you have to endure it. IMO,
everyone should find their best route for their circumstances. Some
routes are more clearcut than others.

kissalicious1975

Mar 17, 2007, 1:44:56 PM3/17/07

> That is exactly what my husband did he came to visit me. I think the
> issue people are having is that you are saying in advance that you
> plan on getting married and then having him stay. I did get married
> this way and my husband did stay in the USA but we did not plan on
> doing things that way it just happened. I was never questioned by the
> INS or anything but I can only speak for myself.

So when your husband came to visit you and you ended up getting married,
he stayed and didn't go back, correct? So did he have ties back at home
or any loose ends to tie up...what happened with all that if you don't
mind me asking?

Elvira

Mar 17, 2007, 1:56:37 PM3/17/07

> How long did he intend to stay for and how long did you wait until you
> got married?

Why is this relevant to your situation? :confused:

Macieo

Mar 17, 2007, 1:50:38 PM3/17/07

> So when your husband came to visit you and you ended up getting
> married, he stayed and didn't go back, correct? So did he have ties
> back at home or any loose ends to tie up...what happened with all that
> if you don't mind me asking?

He had just graduated from college he lived with his parents so no he

did not have any loose ends well apart from student loans he still has
not paid back. He came about 2 weeks after he graduated and he did not
have a job yet. Oh and yes he did stay.

Macieo

Mar 17, 2007, 1:59:39 PM3/17/07

> How long did he intend to stay for and how long did you wait until you
> got married?

He only came at first for 2 weeks he then called the airline and
changed his ticket to give him another six weeks we ended up getting
married after he had been in the USA for a month. I meet my husband
from when I did a semester of college in England we never thought we
would get married at that time it just happened I will also say it
caused a lot of issues in with our families being hurt betrayed the
whole thing because we eloped. We got married in 2000 so I don't know
if things have changed.

kissalicious1975

Mar 17, 2007, 2:01:09 PM3/17/07

> He only came at first for 2 weeks he then called the airline and
> changed his ticket to give him another six weeks we ended up getting
> married after he had been in the USA for a month. I meet my husband
> from when I did a semester of college in England we never thought we
> would get married at that time it just happened I will also say it
> caused a lot of issues in with our families being hurt betrayed the
> whole thing because we eloped. We got married in 2000 so I don't know
> if things have changed.

Ahhh, well congrats to you both, i'm glad to see at least one happy
ending! <smile>

kissalicious1975

Mar 17, 2007, 2:00:00 PM3/17/07

> Why is this relevant to your situation? :confused:

lol it was just a question...i didn't realize every question had to be
relevant to my particular situation. Wait, i am still in America,
right? lol

Message has been deleted

Deedee13

Mar 17, 2007, 3:33:22 PM3/17/07

> Is Haggerwood paying off his student loans?

haggerwood???

ian-mstm

Mar 17, 2007, 10:06:27 PM3/17/07

> Yes, it will be his first trip to the USA, or for anywhere outside of
> England for that matter. But if he said he was coming for holiday, to
> see NY, Disneyworld, etc, and that he has a friend that lives in
> Kentucky, why couldn't someone do that, especially a guy, just because
> he wants to?

Well... I see I've arrived late to the party! I'm also in Kentucky...
over on the east side of the state where men go to family reunions to
get a date. Are you from this neck of the woods... or from the more
civilized central area of the commonwealth?

Ian

Taterbug

Mar 17, 2007, 11:00:09 PM3/17/07

> Why the hurry to get married?
> Maybe you should get to know him in person first......

Yeah get to know him first or at least wait to see what he looks like in
person ......you can do some real nifty "morphing" tricks on the
computer easily these days. Life is like a box of chocolates....you
never know what you're gonna git!! You may think you are getting Brad
Pitt and you end out with Lyle Lovett!! LOL

Sapphyre

Mar 18, 2007, 1:58:10 AM3/18/07
On Mar 17, 11:38 am, kissalicious1975
<member63...@nomx.britishexpats.com> wrote:
> Well, it's just that i've been reading over a lot of the posts on here
> the past couple of days and i've heard both sides of the fence. I hear
> others saying, "We got married while under the VWP and everything is
> fine". I'm not some horrible law breaking person, not even so much as a
> speeding ticket...i just want to know how things are likely to be
> handled at the POE with the information i have provided, be it ethically
> or legally to other's liking...i would just appreciate some kind words
> of advice.

I live in Canada, and my best friend was in a very similar
situation... She had an Internet Boyfriend that she'd never met, so
she couldn't possibly qualify for a K-1 and go and get married. She
knew she wanted to live with him in California, but knew she had to
meet him first and visit for a few weeks just to see what he's like
(see where he lived, meet his family, find out what her new home town
would be like, find out that more people spoke Spanish than English,
etc). Obviously she can't get a K-1 without having met in person at
least once in the previous two years, and she has to meet him somehow
to get that qualification so she can apply (if she thought it was the
right thing to do).

Meanwhile, she's unemployed, and he has a job he can't leave, so he
can't go and see her in Canada. She figures it's okay to pack her
backs and take a discounted bus ride down there just to visit for a
few weeks and check it out. She knew she might stay longer, but not
much longer since she had responsibilities in Canada.

So she went down to Detroit on Greyhound, and guess what? They
wouldn't let her in. She was told she had insufficient ties. Having
never left Canada in her whole life, and because she didn't think to
call me up and ask me any questions (since I did something similar,
travelled 3000 miles to meet a stranger, of course that stranger just
became a close friend, nothing more...) I could have told her to bring
ties, proof of apartment, proof of income/support for self, etc. She
figured she couldn't use her bank card and just left it at home with
money in the account, and took cash that she thought was enough, but
they didn't think so.

So here she is being returned to Canada, with no way to even obtain
the requirement for a K-1 and get a visa, because her first visit is
denied. She didn't live with her parents or anything, they told her
that she didn't qualify because she didn't bring enough proof of ties,
and that she had to have a job. Her response is, "he has a job, that's
why he can't visit me, and I can go visit him." She has medical
reasons for not working, but didn't think to get a doctor's note or
anything to verify that, so she's got no case to plead while in
secondary, and was sent back.

Immigration is touch and go, depending on who you get, and what they
think the visitor/immigrant should be doing. Here's an example... I
had $600 in cash on me when I went on a shopping trip and I'm being
asked "why so much money?" yet when I travelled to Utah to pick up my
vehicle for my road trip, I told the guy I had $650 in cash, and it
never occurred to him "that's a lot of cash", apparently that's
acceptable. It doesn't matter that I still have thousands at my
disposal and a US checking account and debit card (so why the cash,
when it can be stored in the bank?) So it depends on who you get... I
told this guy (on my vacation trip) that I had funds in the bank, and
he still wanted to make sure I had a credit card, "just in case".
You'd think someone who had their year's salary in savings would be
fine, even without a credit card... but that was important for some
reason. I guess after all the financial questions, he just figured I
was really cheap for taking a bus. I could have bussed to Detroit or
Buffalo and spend the same money on a plane ticket, but that's less
fun and you don't get souvenirs from every state.

So that being said, you have a quandary... you can't get a K-1 for him
because you've never met, so you have to meet to get that stepping
stone out of the way. As other posters said, you can get married, but
he can't stay, otherwise you are committing immigration fraud. (I'm
not going into what you may or may not get away with, they may ask him
if he's intending to get married, and if they do, you might really
want to consider a K-1 fiance visa...) And yes, I have been asked if I
was going to get married in the US. The fact they even suspected I
might is going to haunt me for a long time, because "relationships
just don't go away", they might for me, but in their eyes, it's always
a possibility.

S.

Sapphyre

Mar 18, 2007, 2:11:27 AM3/18/07
On Mar 17, 12:24 pm, Deedee13 <member62...@nomx.britishexpats.com>
wrote:

> Is this his first trip to the USA, and he is going to book his return
> flight for 3 months down the road on his first trip. I think this alone
> is going to put up some red flags when he enters.

FWIW, when I met the guy I had been talking to online (I met him 10
years ago, we talked online for three years, meeting wasn't feasible,
and we weren't a couple online either, just people who knew each other
from different countries), I booked a ticket with a flexible return
date and intended to be in the US for two weeks.

I arranged for someone I knew to meet me at the airport and put me up
for a night before making the 200 mile journey to meet my friend. My
Bay-Area friend and his wife came with me to make sure I'd be okay in
the town I was staying at, it was nice of them to look out for me.
(This Bay-Area friend is someone I also knew for a few years). I had
my butt covered for safety, told my dad everywhere I'd be, phone
numbers, etc.

The flexible return option was mainly so if I hated the guy on sight,
I wouldn't be stuck paying for a hotel/motel for two weeks while
waiting for my flight out. I didn't want to be stuck visiting someone
I might not get along with. Although I thought everything would be
fine, visiting a stranger in their home is totally different.

Well, it didn't have a marriage ending... we hit it off, became good
friends, I met all his friends and got to know the town, but I didn't
want to live there. I didn't want to live with him, he was kind of a
slob and didn't want to clean things (but he did clean the bathroom
for me, but not the kitchen). I have maybe four good friends, and this
guy I met off the Internet 10 years ago is one of them. I'd go and
visit him any time, and have been down his way a few times since we
met.

Not everything ends up being either marriage-perfect, or completely
psychotic. I just made my intentions clear, "let's meet, let's hang
out, you have a job and can't take time off to come to Canada, so why
don't I head down there for two weeks when school let's out for the
summer?" I left after two weeks, and that was fine.

Perhaps your boyfriend would be better off getting an open ended
ticket? Haven't you ever seen the episode of Seinfeld where Elaine
couldn't wait to ditch her scumbag boyfriend that she flew in on her
frequent flier miles? Maybe you won't like him, and will want him to
leave a lot sooner... and if he has a flexible end date, then he can
always stay longer than a couple of weeks if things work out.

S.

Sapphyre

Mar 18, 2007, 2:15:45 AM3/18/07
On Mar 17, 10:00 pm, Taterbug <member31...@nomx.britishexpats.com>
wrote:

> Yeah get to know him first or at least wait to see what he looks like in
> person ......you can do some real nifty "morphing" tricks on the
> computer easily these days. Life is like a box of chocolates....you
> never know what you're gonna git!! You may think you are getting Brad
> Pitt and you end out with Lyle Lovett!! LOL

That's why I don't date hot guys I meet online... (never have, but I'm
happily with the one I love, so those days of pick and choose are
behind me now).

Last "hot guy" I met, sent me a picture that was a few years old.
Since taking his desk job at the tender age of 23, he got a beer belly
and a fat face. Funny how he didn't send me any of *those* pictures.
Just the photo from when he looked hunkalicious and worked out a lot
with the flat 6-pack.

So if I met someone online, and they looked kind of ordinary (or even
ugly) in the photo. At least I knew what I was getting. And some
people aren't too photogenic... So even the ugly looked better in
person.

Hunk-shopping is always a bad idea, and even in person, you can't tell
what someone's really like anyway. A full of himself guy will say
anything to go to bed with a pretty girl... the guys who work in the
shop I work at comment frequently, so it's very nice to hear that
point of view from someone who isn't trying to impress me.

S.

Tracym

Mar 18, 2007, 7:26:42 AM3/18/07

> I don't mean to sound like a complete idiot <wince>, but is it when he
> reaches the US that he could be denied or when he leaves the UK?

When he reaches the U.S.

And then he would be detained, (jail?) I think, overnight if there isn't
a flight back until the next day, which will probably be the case.

The other posters are right, this is immigration fraud. I met my fiance
on the internet, we met, and he's home in the UK waiting for the visa.

If some of us sound crabby, it is because we are doing (or did) it the
right (legal) way, and are enduring time apart. And then you come in
saying it's all right for you to ignore all that and get what you want
right now. Therefore, we're a little crabby.

Also, on a kinder note, you can't really know a person just online. You
can know them a lot, but there is certainly a lot more you find out in
person. I'd recommend spending that visit getting to know each other,
and I hope he is all that you want.

kissalicious1975

Mar 18, 2007, 7:10:35 AM3/18/07

I don't mean to sound like a complete idiot <wince>, but is it when he

reaches the US that he could be denied or when he leaves the UK?

kissalicious1975

Mar 18, 2007, 7:38:13 AM3/18/07

> When he reaches the U.S.
>
> And then he would be detained, (jail?) I think, overnight if
> there isn't a flight back until the next day, which will probably
> be the case.
>
> The other posters are right, this is immigration fraud. I met my
> fiance on the internet, we met, and he's home in the UK waiting for
> the visa.
>
> If some of us sound crabby, it is because we are doing (or did) it the
> right (legal) way, and are enduring time apart. And then you come in
> saying it's all right for you to ignore all that and get what you want
> right now. Therefore, we're a little crabby.
>
> Also, on a kinder note, you can't really know a person just online.
> You can know them a lot, but there is certainly a lot more you find
> out in person. I'd recommend spending that visit getting to know each
> other, and I hope he is all that you want.

So if we went the K-1 route, how long would he have to go back home
for, roughly?

Tracym

Mar 18, 2007, 7:46:52 AM3/18/07

> So if we went the K-1 route, how long would he have to go back home
> for, roughly?

I've been told 6 months or so. We were told that the first part (the
petition) is currently taking about 5 months. Then another month or two
for the visa.

That is if everything goes smoothly. It is not impossible for delays to
occur such as name checks being delayed. Hopefully not though.

I suppose my fiance could have visited me again this summer, and
probably would have gotten in, and we could have married and he could
have stayed. But, if that was discovered as our intent we would have
risked having adjustment denied, and he could be sent home. We would
not want to take that chance, and are doing it the legal way.

You do realize that even after you marry, you are asking the govt. to
let him stay. It is not impossible to be denied, and him to be sent
home, even if you are married. Probably unlikely though.

You need to be aware of any major medical history, or any criminal/drug
history that he has, since that can cause problems.

Finally, perhaps this will be helpful - we fly him in through Dublin
- there he will be cleared before he gets on the plane, and if sent
back will not be detained. And a shorter trip back. Shannon works
too I think.

Deedee13

Mar 18, 2007, 9:34:47 AM3/18/07

tracy, going to dublin may incur more cost for him. and then cause more
questions as to why he would go that route and not the direct route,
especially on his first one.

i met my hubby on an internet dating site. and this time last year was
coming over to visit him - this year were married and living together.
How time flies when ur having fun. lol. Was i scared when i met him -
YUP!!! i think i got to know him better doing it online than had we
been face to face.

Cant beat a good hour of telephone S E X!!! lmfao. Someone just choke on
thier toast did they? Infact been looking around for a set of them
phones we used to get as kids for xmas cant find them anywhere DAMN!!!!

Tracym

Mar 18, 2007, 9:40:02 AM3/18/07

> tracy, going to dublin may incur more cost for him. and then cause
> more questions as to why he would go that route and not the direct
> route, especially on his first one.
>
> i met my hubby on an internet dating site. and this time last year was
> coming over to visit him - this year were married and living together.
> How time flies when ur having fun. lol. Was i scared when i met him -
> YUP!!! i think i got to know him better doing it online than had we
> been face to face.
>
> Cant beat a good hour of telephone S E X!!! lmfao. Someone just choke
> on thier toast did they? Infact been looking around for a set of them
> phones we used to get as kids for xmas cant find them anywhere
> DAMN!!!!

Webcams DeeDee.... Webcams! Voice AND video.

We did get to know each other very well online, you always find out a
few things face to face though.

Actually, he has never been questioned in Dublin regarding the route,
and has done it a number of times. If asked, he would simply say -
just in case of any problem, I'd rather know before I got on the plane
and go home.

Plus, as far as the cost, that is possible. But, out of Dublin he flies
Aerlingus, and the price Glasgow to Chicago has generally been better
with them than we've found elsewhere.

Deedee13

Mar 18, 2007, 10:02:51 AM3/18/07

> Webcams DeeDee.... Webcams! Voice AND video.
>
> We did get to know each other very well online, you always find out a
> few things face to face though.
>
> Actually, he has never been questioned in Dublin regarding the route,
> and has done it a number of times. If asked, he would simply say -
> just in case of any problem, I'd rather know before I got on the plane
> and go home.
>
> Plus, as far as the cost, that is possible. But, out of Dublin he
> flies Aerlingus, and the price Glasgow to Chicago has generally been
> better with them than we've found elsewhere.

webcams OMG I HAVE NEVER DONE THAT (snigger) !

kissalicious where the hell did u come up with that name, lol, makes me
think of .. oh never mind. I think she knows were just worried about
her. there are some pretty ruthless men out there, and England got its
fair share of them too.

I just dont want her falling flat on her face. And i know how much
people work here just to survive, and have that jeopordised from someone
is a frightening thought. Just take care. Do what u think is right.

Aerlingus - do they have tvs in the seats? I use air france a lot. Hate
changing at Paris but the service, the food, and the comfort is first
class. Delta on the other hand is like getting on a double decker bus in
london - DISGUSTING.

krizzy

Mar 18, 2007, 10:24:12 AM3/18/07

> Hmm I don't know about TVs in the seat - I'll ask him. I seem to
> recall him talking about watching films or something. We've never had
> any serious trouble with him visiting, but it sure is nice to know
> when he gets on the plane that all's clear.
>
> You know, speaking if kissalicious, yep quite a name, I bet he would
> set off red flags at entry - coming over here having just quit job and
> given up his home? He just might have some trouble.
>
> Yep, webcams rule.
>
> DeeDee you are too funny! Whereabouts are you anyway?

I met my INTERNET stalker on line...nice Brit guy..we talk as friends
for 2 years...about home and his girlfriend problems...then one day I
found out he was telling everyone he loved me and that when I visited
the UK he was going to get me to leave my hubby and kids and marry him
I also found it a bit strange how he started following his then ex
girlfriend everwhere....when I questioned him about both things..all
hell broke lose and he turned into a monster...we had to get the
police in both countries involved...not that they could do a lot...I
still have the problem 5 years later...but he has backed off a
lot...I've always had guys as friends...never a problem....never
thought for one min my life could change because of some wacko guy
three thousand miles away....

Tracym

Mar 18, 2007, 10:11:41 AM3/18/07

> webcams OMG I HAVE NEVER DONE THAT (snigger) !
>
> kissalicious where the hell did u come up with that name, lol, makes
> me think of .. oh never mind. I think she knows were just worried
> about her. there are some pretty ruthless men out there, and England
> got its fair share of them too.
>
> I just dont want her falling flat on her face. And i know how much
> people work here just to survive, and have that jeopordised from
> someone is a frightening thought. Just take care. Do what u think
> is right.
>
> Aerlingus - do they have tvs in the seats? I use air france a lot.
> Hate changing at Paris but the service, the food, and the comfort is
> first class. Delta on the other hand is like getting on a double
> decker bus in london - DISGUSTING.

Hmm I don't know about TVs in the seat - I'll ask him. I seem to recall

him talking about watching films or something. We've never had any
serious trouble with him visiting, but it sure is nice to know when he
gets on the plane that all's clear.

You know, speaking if kissalicious, yep quite a name, I bet he would set
off red flags at entry - coming over here having just quit job and given
up his home? He just might have some trouble.

Yep, webcams rule.

DeeDee you are too funny! Whereabouts are you anyway?

Noorah101

Mar 18, 2007, 10:33:55 AM3/18/07

> So if we went the K-1 route, how long would he have to go back home
> for, roughly?

The K-1 is usually a tad shorter processing than the spouse immigrant
visa. But I would still plan on a 6 to 10 month (maybe more, maybe
less) wait for either one of them. You never know what could cause a
delay in processing. Service centers backlog changes, London embassy
backlog, security checks, etc.

The question is, would you rather spend your time separated as an
engaged couple or a married couple? The choice is yours.

Rene

Tracym

Mar 18, 2007, 10:30:02 AM3/18/07

> I met my INTERNET stalker on line...nice Brit guy..we talk as friends
> for 2 years...about home and his girlfriend problems...then one day I
> found out he was telling everyone he loved me and that when I visited
> the UK he was going to get me to leave my hubby and kids and marry him
> I also found it a bit strange how he started following his then ex
> girlfriend everwhere....when I questioned him about both things..all
> hell broke lose and he turned into a monster...we had to get the
> police in both countries involved...not that they could do a lot...I
> still have the problem 5 years later...but he has backed off a
> lot...I've always had guys as friends...never a problem....never
> thought for one min my life could change because of some wacko guy
> three thousand miles away....

My word, how awful for you. Just wondering, what can he do from that
far away? Although for you to be so upset, he must have figured out
something pretty bad.

Sapphyre

Mar 18, 2007, 11:12:22 AM3/18/07
On Mar 18, 8:40 am, Tracym <member59...@nomx.britishexpats.com> wrote:
> Actually, he has never been questioned in Dublin regarding the route,
> and has done it a number of times. If asked, he would simply say -
> just in case of any problem, I'd rather know before I got on the plane
> and go home.

In Canada, we always preclear before boarding to the US, so I
understand about preclearance facilities... in my case, I'd preclear
before going anywhere (no hop flight to the airport where I preclear,
so if the ticket is refundable, I'm off the hook and can drive home in
two hours).

In the case of Kissalicious' boyfriend, if he's questioned he should
say, "I've never left the UK or travelled on a plane for such a long
distance, I'm nervous because I don't know what to expect." If he goes
to secondary, he won't talk to the same officer in the PIL and
Secondary screening, and any normal person would understand that a
first time flyer/traveller will be nervous.

Way back when... after probably the second long distance bus trip I
took, I was asked (by Customs) why the bus? Isn't it the same cost to
fly? (give or take...) I knew that saying things like, "the bus is
more affordable" would not be a good answer, because I've done both,
and the bus does cost the same when you factor in meals, possible
overnight stops, etc. I like to buy tons of souvenirs, and I spent $50
in Kansas alone on my last trip. (never been through there). I just
told customs that flying makes me nervous, and I like to see all the
changing scenery because I like that sort of thing... good enough
reason for them. He asked if I get off the bus to sleep, and I told
him after about 24 hours, I'm so darned tired that having a bed to
sleep in doesn't matter anymore.

Although I discovered on my last trip... I'm too old for that kind of
travel anymore... I spent four days on Greyhound this summer, that was
enough for me!

anyway, I'm sure a lot of brits fly through Dublin for preclearance,
I'm sure it's no big deal.

If it makes Kissalicious feel any better, when I got grilled in
Detroit the Customs guy (it was still two agencies back then) asked
"why are you so anxious?" I told him I was afraid he was going to deny
me entry, and it was stressing me out. I guess what he expected a
smuggler/liar to do is deny being nervous when it was visibly obvious,
but I levelled with the guy that he was making me feel really self-
conscious, and he cut me a break.

S.

Noorah101

Mar 18, 2007, 10:45:28 AM3/18/07

> Well yes, they could marry while he was over here. They weren't
> initially planning on him returning home though.
>
> Our lawyer told us K-1 was the better choice, they sometimes found it
> presumtous for couples to go ahead and marry. Not that it doesn't
> work of course.

Kiss,

You might want to read this link which describes the stipulations of
using the VWP:
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/visitors_us/vwp/vwp.xml

Tracym

Mar 18, 2007, 10:38:23 AM3/18/07

> The K-1 is usually a tad shorter processing than the spouse immigrant
> visa. But I would still plan on a 6 to 10 month (maybe more, maybe
> less) wait for either one of them. You never know what could cause a
> delay in processing. Service centers backlog changes, London embassy
> backlog, security checks, etc.
>
> The question is, would you rather spend your time separated as an
> engaged couple or a married couple? The choice is yours.
>
> Rene

Well yes, they could marry while he was over here. They weren't

initially planning on him returning home though.

Our lawyer told us K-1 was the better choice, they sometimes found it
presumtous for couples to go ahead and marry. Not that it doesn't work
of course.

Ray

Mar 18, 2007, 10:57:54 AM3/18/07

> Yikes yikes yikes yikes. I had a local stalker once, who actually
> pounded on the door. Terrifying. I'm glad it's better for you now.

Joycee had two when I met her .....
One got the message ...

The other commited suicide after a few stints in jail ...
shot himself in the back of the head 11 times ...
with a six shooter ...

Tracym

Mar 18, 2007, 10:55:37 AM3/18/07

> We were friends enough to send Christmas cards...birthdays cards...so
> he knows where I live...and I found out from other friends in our
> group that he was planning a trip to the USA..he sent me an e-mail
> saying he was going to turn up on my doorstep...I did talk to the cops
> in both countries at that time and he never came over...

Yikes yikes yikes yikes. I had a local stalker once, who actually
pounded on the door. Terrifying. I'm glad it's better for you now.

Message has been deleted

kissalicious1975

Mar 18, 2007, 11:26:18 AM3/18/07

> Kiss,
>
> I guess you've already looked at the Affidavit of Support (form I-
> 864), since you knew that you meet the 125% income level. But read
> more about it on the www.uscis.gov website. You've only known this
> guy on line for several months, never met in person, never spent time
> together in real life. Do you really want to commit to being his
> financial sponsor without knowing him better? If you get married and
> things don't work out, you could end up being his financial sponsor
> for a very long time. Divorce does not end your obligations to him as
> his sponsor.
>
> Rene

ahhh well, yes then, i shall look into that....thank you very much

Ray

Mar 18, 2007, 11:15:13 AM3/18/07

> I must say, the majority of people on here have been very helpful and
> informative. I would welcome any stories of personal
> experiences....especially from guys attempting to come to Kentucky
> from the UK, however, i'd still enjoy hearing any story, especially
> positive ones...

Doing it the right way ..is always positive ..
the failures of course never come back to tell ...

kissalicious1975

Mar 18, 2007, 11:12:24 AM3/18/07

> Kiss,
>
> You might want to read this link which describes the stipulations of
> using the VWP:
> http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/visitors_us/vwp/vwp.xml
>
> Rene

I must say, the majority of people on here have been very helpful and

informative. I would welcome any stories of personal
experiences....especially from guys attempting to come to Kentucky
from the UK, however, i'd still enjoy hearing any story, especially
positive ones...

Tracym

Mar 18, 2007, 11:19:13 AM3/18/07

> Now a local one would scare me...
>
> You think you know someone well by chatting to them for a long
> time...he was a bit pompus...always right you know the sort.. but I
> never thought he was that odd ...others saw it before me...but I was
> kind and found it hard to drop him until I found out he was so called'
> in love 'with me....then I just left the group for a few years...and
> had to read all the crap he was writing about me on public boards for
> the next 2 years...went back kicked his ass online....and he
> stopped....I still keep an eye on him....and just say hi to keep him
> happy every few months if my name comes up....but I think its near
> enough over now....

Yes it was very scary. I don't know who it was, but he had obviously
followed me around all evening, knew everwhere I had gone. He called,
and said he was coming over - I called the police, but before they
arrived he was pounding on the door. Got scared off when they came I
guess, and that was the end of it. Except for me... I was absolutely
terrified for a while.

kissalicious1975

Mar 18, 2007, 11:21:52 AM3/18/07

> Now a local one would scare me...
>
> You think you know someone well by chatting to them for a long
> time...he was a bit pompus...always right you know the sort.. but I
> never thought he was that odd ...others saw it before me...but I was
> kind and found it hard to drop him until I found out he was so called'
> in love 'with me....then I just left the group for a few years...and
> had to read all the crap he was writing about me on public boards for
> the next 2 years...went back kicked his ass online....and he
> stopped....I still keep an eye on him....and just say hi to keep him
> happy every few months if my name comes up....but I think its near
> enough over now....

Well, i know that each and every situation is different, however, i
still believe that there are SOME good people left in the world today,
no matter where they are from. Just so happens that the man i want is
halfway across the world at the moment..lol. But at this point, it's a
bit late to turn back the clock now..what's done has been done. Fact:
he did quit his job, Fact: he did give notice on his flat, Fact: He did
buy a plane ticket for a 90 day stay and will be here (god, please!) in
less than three weeks now...so all i can do now is hope and pray!

kissalicious1975

Mar 18, 2007, 11:32:27 AM3/18/07

> Oh we're not saying everyone is bad, just happened to remind us of
> some experiences. I met someone essentially the way you did, and I
> think he's terrific, and just what I thought he'd be like and more!
> Just, one does have to be careful, having had the opposite
> experience also.
>
> Of course, you cannot change the past. I hope he is able to clear
> immigration ok and you do meet. He just should have whatever proof he
> can of ties to the UK, and say things (hopefully true) to convince
> them that he will return at the end of his stay.
>
> Let us know how it goes, and I hope he does turn out to be just what
> you want. And you for him.
>
> Best of luck

Thank you so much for your kind words....i truly appreciate them!

Noorah101

Mar 18, 2007, 11:23:58 AM3/18/07

> I must say, the majority of people on here have been very helpful and
> informative. I would welcome any stories of personal
> experiences....especially from guys attempting to come to Kentucky
> from the UK, however, i'd still enjoy hearing any story, especially
> positive ones...

Kiss,

I guess you've already looked at the Affidavit of Support (form I-864),
since you knew that you meet the 125% income level. But read more about
it on the www.uscis.gov website. You've only known this guy on line for
several months, never met in person, never spent time together in real
life. Do you really want to commit to being his financial sponsor
without knowing him better? If you get married and things don't work
out, you could end up being his financial sponsor for a very long time.
Divorce does not end your obligations to him as his sponsor.

Rene

Tracym

Mar 18, 2007, 11:27:33 AM3/18/07

> Well, i know that each and every situation is different, however, i
> still believe that there are SOME good people left in the world today,
> no matter where they are from. Just so happens that the man i want is
> halfway across the world at the moment..lol. But at this point, it's
> a bit late to turn back the clock now..what's done has been done.
> Fact: he did quit his job, Fact: he did give notice on his flat, Fact:
> He did buy a plane ticket for a 90 day stay and will be here (god,
> please!) in less than three weeks now...so all i can do now is hope
> and pray!

Oh we're not saying everyone is bad, just happened to remind us of some

experiences. I met someone essentially the way you did, and I think
he's terrific, and just what I thought he'd be like and more! Just, one
does have to be careful, having had the opposite experience also.

Of course, you cannot change the past. I hope he is able to clear
immigration ok and you do meet. He just should have whatever proof he
can of ties to the UK, and say things (hopefully true) to convince them
that he will return at the end of his stay.

Let us know how it goes, and I hope he does turn out to be just what you
want. And you for him.

Best of luck

Message has been deleted

kissalicious1975

Mar 18, 2007, 11:42:30 AM3/18/07

> You're welcome.
>
> If you read a lot of the old threads on the forum, I think you will
> find a lot of useful information. I know I did.

lol yes, that's very true....i've been reading over 300 pages...only
1800+ to go..lol. Which is why i was confused about a lot of
things...lots of mixed experiences...

kissalicious1975

Mar 18, 2007, 12:20:58 PM3/18/07

> Actually, it's not quite that simple - entering on a K-1 and working
> immediately. There are a bunch of threads on it - but basically..
>
> He MIGHT get a stamp upon entry allowing him to work for 90 days.
>
> After that, after marriage, he applies for permission to work. That
> likely will not arrive before the 90 days are up, and there will be a
> gap in work authorization.
>
> Also, have you thought about health insurance? I don't know how old
> you two are, but it could be an issue.

Well, i have health insurance and will be able to add him to my policy
as soon as we get married...i am 32 and he is 28.

Deedee13

Mar 18, 2007, 12:11:30 PM3/18/07
> And besides the basic illegality of the whole thing, another thing to
> consider is that he will NOT be able to work (legally, of course)
> while he is waiting for AOS, and that's going to be probably an
> absolute minimum of six months, based on our recent experience (and
> probably longer, since the whole thing is going to look fishy). Since
> money is evidently an issue, how is it going to be, supporting someone
> for six months, when he cannot contribute in any substantive way to
> the household, and is going to have far too much time on his hands.
>
> If he's working in the UK, then he's going to have to quit his job to
> do this, and if he's not, he'll lose any UK benefits that he's
> receiving now. It's not a great idea to begin a marriage with
> financial stress, along with all of the other things that are
> difficult about adjusting to a new country.
>
> If he comes here, it all looks good, and then he applies for the K-1,
> he will probably be able to file to work when he enters the U.S. on
> the visa (I've forgotten the form now), and that will speed up that
> whole process.

6 months??? WOW. They recommend 90 days. Theyre working on I765s from 27
dec at the moment. Thats not 6 months. I got mine under the 90 days.

ALthough not advisable even to work under the table whilst the visa is
being processed.

Tracym

Mar 18, 2007, 12:13:04 PM3/18/07

> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 14:45:28 +0000, Noorah101
> <membe...@nomx.britishexpats.com> wrote:
>

> And besides the basic illegality of the whole thing, another thing to
> consider is that he will NOT be able to work (legally, of course)
> while he is waiting for AOS, and that's going to be probably an
> absolute minimum of six months, based on our recent experience (and
> probably longer, since the whole thing is going to look fishy). Since
> money is evidently an issue, how is it going to be, supporting someone
> for six months, when he cannot contribute in any substantive way to
> the household, and is going to have far too much time on his hands.
>
> If he's working in the UK, then he's going to have to quit his job to
> do this, and if he's not, he'll lose any UK benefits that he's
> receiving now. It's not a great idea to begin a marriage with
> financial stress, along with all of the other things that are
> difficult about adjusting to a new country.
>
> If he comes here, it all looks good, and then he applies for the K-1,
> he will probably be able to file to work when he enters the U.S. on
> the visa (I've forgotten the form now), and that will speed up that
> whole process.

Actually, it's not quite that simple - entering on a K-1 and working

immediately. There are a bunch of threads on it - but basically..

He MIGHT get a stamp upon entry allowing him to work for 90 days.

After that, after marriage, he applies for permission to work. That
likely will not arrive before the 90 days are up, and there will be a
gap in work authorization.

Also, have you thought about health insurance? I don't know how old you
two are, but it could be an issue.

Noorah101

Mar 18, 2007, 12:14:16 PM3/18/07

> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 14:45:28 +0000, Noorah101
> <membe...@nomx.britishexpats.com> wrote:
>

> And besides the basic illegality of the whole thing, another thing to
> consider is that he will NOT be able to work (legally, of course)
> while he is waiting for AOS, and that's going to be probably an
> absolute minimum of six months, based on our recent experience (and
> probably longer, since the whole thing is going to look fishy). Since
> money is evidently an issue, how is it going to be, supporting someone
> for six months, when he cannot contribute in any substantive way to
> the household, and is going to have far too much time on his hands.
>
> If he's working in the UK, then he's going to have to quit his job to
> do this, and if he's not, he'll lose any UK benefits that he's
> receiving now. It's not a great idea to begin a marriage with
> financial stress, along with all of the other things that are
> difficult about adjusting to a new country.
>
> If he comes here, it all looks good, and then he applies for the K-1,
> he will probably be able to file to work when he enters the U.S. on
> the visa (I've forgotten the form now), and that will speed up that
> whole process.

I'm not sure why you say this. When someone files for AOS after
marriage to a USC, they also file form I-765 for work authorization.
This allows them to work while waiting for AOS. It takes about 90 days
to get the EAD. So I agree that he would be unemployable for about 3 to
4 months....but not sure where you got 6 months, or that he can't work
while waiting for AOS.

He's not currently working in the UK. And I do agree starting out with
financial hardship isn't good...but many do.

If he comes on a K-1, he'll be work authorized from Day 1, and if he
comes through JFK POE, he'll have a stamp in his passport to prove it.
Then when he files for AOS, he'll use form I-765 to get the 1-year EAD.

Deedee13

Mar 18, 2007, 12:24:00 PM3/18/07

> I'm not sure why you say this. When someone files for AOS after
> marriage to a USC, they also file form I-765 for work authorization.
> This allows them to work while waiting for AOS. It takes about 90
> days to get the EAD. So I agree that he would be unemployable for
> about 3 to 4 months....but not sure where you got 6 months, or that he
> can't work while waiting for AOS.
>

> He's not currently working in the UK. And I do agree starting out
> with financial hardship isn't good...but many do.
>

> If he comes on a K-1, he'll be work authorized from Day 1, and if he
> comes through JFK POE, he'll have a stamp in his passport to prove
> it. Then when he files for AOS, he'll use form I-765 to get the 1-
> year EAD.
>
> Rene

as he is coming over on "holiday" travel insurance would be a
recommendation to cover his "initial" stay. After that if u have health
insurance see if it will cover the spouse.

Do not let him work under no circumstances even for cash in hand. Gets
caught he is on the next flight out.

Financial hardship is a bummer but were all wanting to win the
lottery aint we?

Deedee13

Mar 18, 2007, 12:26:52 PM3/18/07

> lol yes, i'm 32 but i look about 25..lol

I am 41, look 50 and feel 100. Maybe that answers my own question.

kissalicious1975

Mar 18, 2007, 12:09:31 PM3/18/07

> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 14:45:28 +0000, Noorah101
> <membe...@nomx.britishexpats.com> wrote:
>

> And besides the basic illegality of the whole thing, another thing to
> consider is that he will NOT be able to work (legally, of course)
> while he is waiting for AOS, and that's going to be probably an
> absolute minimum of six months, based on our recent experience (and
> probably longer, since the whole thing is going to look fishy). Since
> money is evidently an issue, how is it going to be, supporting someone
> for six months, when he cannot contribute in any substantive way to
> the household, and is going to have far too much time on his hands.
>
> If he's working in the UK, then he's going to have to quit his job to
> do this, and if he's not, he'll lose any UK benefits that he's
> receiving now. It's not a great idea to begin a marriage with
> financial stress, along with all of the other things that are
> difficult about adjusting to a new country.
>
> If he comes here, it all looks good, and then he applies for the K-1,
> he will probably be able to file to work when he enters the U.S. on
> the visa (I've forgotten the form now), and that will speed up that
> whole process.

lol...the money thing, as far as support wise isn't an issue...my house
is paid for and i have very few bills, so truly, this isn't an issue.
And he JUST quit his job a week ago, which he hated anyway and was
having multiple conflicts with his boss, so no love loss there. So
he's not receiving any benefits from the government...we have been
saving money to pay for his fees and to supplement my income for some
time now..

Deedee13

Mar 18, 2007, 12:26:15 PM3/18/07

> That's good, one less worry then. Ah yes, get 'em young and train 'em
> is what my friend always said. I too am getting a sweet young thing.
> :thumbsup:

christ a forum full of cradle snatchers - how the hell did i get the old
codger!!!!!

Deedee13

Mar 18, 2007, 12:24:51 PM3/18/07

> Well, i have health insurance and will be able to add him to my policy
> as soon as we get married...i am 32 and he is 28.

I am 32 he is 28

cradle snatcher!!!! lol

kissalicious1975

Mar 18, 2007, 12:25:54 PM3/18/07

> That's good, one less worry then. Ah yes, get 'em young and train 'em
> is what my friend always said. I too am getting a sweet young thing.
> :thumbsup:

lol yes, i'm 32 but i look about 25..lol

Tracym

Mar 18, 2007, 12:24:53 PM3/18/07

> Well, i have health insurance and will be able to add him to my policy
> as soon as we get married...i am 32 and he is 28.

That's good, one less worry then. Ah yes, get 'em young and train 'em is

what my friend always said. I too am getting a sweet young thing.
:thumbsup:

Tracym

Mar 18, 2007, 12:27:48 PM3/18/07

> christ a forum full of cradle snatchers - how the hell did i get the
> old codger!!!!!

Oh, I'm the real cradle snatcher of the group (yes he's more than legal
lol). But I'm not telling.

Noorah101

Mar 18, 2007, 12:29:39 PM3/18/07

> Oh, I'm the real cradle snatcher of the group (yes he's more than
> legal lol). But I'm not telling.

Are you SURE? ;) LOL

Deedee13

Mar 18, 2007, 12:32:00 PM3/18/07

> My friend's other recommendation was 98 years old, one foot on the
> grave, and the other on a banana peel... oh yeah, and RICH!

tracy u have me intriged now. HOW OLD?

my mom was 13 years older than my step dad!!! nothing shocks me. I like
older men, although now i have one, i wish everything was working more
like a 20 year old. I am in my prime and he is lagging behind - lmfao.

kissalicious1975

Mar 18, 2007, 12:28:07 PM3/18/07

> I am 41, look 50 and feel 100. Maybe that answers my own question.

lmao..you are too funny!

ian-mstm

Mar 18, 2007, 12:31:00 PM3/18/07

> christ a forum full of cradle snatchers - how the hell did i get the
> old codger!!!!!

I'm 2 years younger than Sheila! She calls me her boy toy! :) Not too
bad for an old geezer like me!

Ian

Tracym

Mar 18, 2007, 12:28:31 PM3/18/07

> christ a forum full of cradle snatchers - how the hell did i get the
> old codger!!!!!

My friend's other recommendation was 98 years old, one foot on the

grave, and the other on a banana peel... oh yeah, and RICH!

Deedee13

Mar 18, 2007, 12:33:24 PM3/18/07

> I'm 2 years younger than Sheila! She calls me her boy toy! :) Not too
> bad for an old geezer like me!
>
> Ian

Ian if ur the toy boy i hope u keep her happy and live up to the name.
!!! hehehe.

Tracym

Mar 18, 2007, 12:36:33 PM3/18/07

> Are you SURE? ;) LOL

Sure I'm the cradle snatcher? or sure he's legal? LOLOL

OK OK I give, I'm sure I will now be heaped with ridicule (hmmm or
jealousy?) 45 and 27 - and it was HIS idea!

Oh yeah, and I've dated someone older than me every time before LOL

Tracym

Mar 18, 2007, 12:51:02 PM3/18/07

> ROFLMAO!!!! Oh you crack me up.
>
> Nah, not after my money, we've been together 3 years now, and he'll
> have a good career and comes from a good family. He's a good one.
>
> Hehehee yep 27 can be fun... yep reuinions are fun...:thumbsup:

Well that seemed to be a conversation stopper.

Have you all died of shock?

Tracym

Mar 18, 2007, 12:56:16 PM3/18/07

> LOL....you've got me beat on the age difference so I dropped out. LOL

Well glad I can win some kind of contest.

Serious note - I know it seems unusual, I sure thought so too. But we
were friends first for quite a while, and he was determined, and finally
won me over. Like I tell him - good deal for me...

Tracym

Mar 18, 2007, 12:43:46 PM3/18/07

> OH GOD NOW I AM JEALOUS!!! 45 and 27 i dont know whether i want to
> call u a bitch or say poor u. He is after ur money u know that dont u
> LMAO. If he wants to check to see if ur testament is up to date let me
> know!!! hehehee.
>
> 27.. wow... god i cant remember when i was 27..... aint it funny how
> guys like older women? christ i bet when u see him u start walking
> like u have been riding a horse for a week. 27.... 27..... wow wow
> wow. GOBSMACKED.

ROFLMAO!!!! Oh you crack me up.

Nah, not after my money, we've been together 3 years now, and he'll have
a good career and comes from a good family. He's a good one.

Hehehee yep 27 can be fun... yep reuinions are fun...:thumbsup:

Deedee13

Mar 18, 2007, 12:39:52 PM3/18/07

> Sure I'm the cradle snatcher? or sure he's legal? LOLOL
>
> OK OK I give, I'm sure I will now be heaped with ridicule (hmmm or
> jealousy?) 45 and 27 - and it was HIS idea!
>
> Oh yeah, and I've dated someone older than me every time before LOL

OH GOD NOW I AM JEALOUS!!! 45 and 27 i dont know whether i want to

call u a bitch or say poor u. He is after ur money u know that dont u
LMAO. If he wants to check to see if ur testament is up to date let me
know!!! hehehee.

27.. wow... god i cant remember when i was 27..... aint it funny how
guys like older women? christ i bet when u see him u start walking
like u have been riding a horse for a week. 27.... 27..... wow wow
wow. GOBSMACKED.

Noorah101

Mar 18, 2007, 12:52:39 PM3/18/07

> Well that seemed to be a conversation stopper.
>
> Have you all died of shock?

LOL....you've got me beat on the age difference so I dropped out. LOL

Message has been deleted
It is loading more messages.