Pioneer HLD X9 vs. Runco LJR II vs. HLD X0

Laserdisc_machine

Jun 4, 2008, 5:43:21 PM6/4/08
This is a good thread and it will be fun to hear some opinions.
In my opinion HLD X0 and X9 leave the LJR II K.O, no doubt.
And besides Pioneer didn't needed to buy YHX certification to have a much
better quality than runco.
And whorst is when you call Runco and ask for parts to repair an LJR II
there are no parts...
No parts for s $4000 USD machine? Wooowww....

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutvideo.com/group/alt.video.laserdisc/
More information at http://www.talkaboutvideo.com/faq.html

SDF Poster

Jun 4, 2008, 8:29:14 PM6/4/08
Laserdisc_machine <vitor_t...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>No parts for s $4000 USD machine? Wooowww....

Hi there. I'd like to buy the HLD X9 from you for $499. Thank you.

unclejr

Jun 4, 2008, 9:53:12 PM6/4/08
On Jun 4, 7:29 pm, marti...@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (SDF Poster) wrote:
> Hi there.  I'd like to buy the HLD X9 from you for $499.  Thank you.

I see your $499 and raise you $1.

HTH.

-Junior

unclejr

Jun 4, 2008, 9:54:19 PM6/4/08
On Jun 4, 4:43 pm, "Laserdisc_machine" <vitor_tomas_...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> This is a good thread and it will be fun to hear some opinions.
> In my opinion HLD X0 and X9 leave the LJR II K.O, no doubt.
> And besides Pioneer didn't needed to buy YHX certification to have a much
> better quality than runco.
> And whorst is when you call Runco and ask for parts to repair an LJR II
> there are no parts...
> No parts for s $4000 USD machine? Wooowww....

I can't comment on any of these players. I have an LD-S2 with AC-3
mod and am VERY happy with it!

-Junior

SDF Poster

Jun 5, 2008, 2:01:58 AM6/5/08
unclejr <wat...@kenyon.edu> wrote:
>I see your $499 and raise you $1.

I'll see your $500 and lower it $2! $498. And thats my final offer.

Laserdisc_machine

Jun 5, 2008, 3:55:00 AM6/5/08
Eheeheheh.... You guys are funny, but i start getting your jokes.
That's a piece for me to keep ;)
Guess what i'm going to do when i'm 60 years old ;)

Matthew L. Martin

Jun 5, 2008, 6:59:04 AM6/5/08
Laserdisc_machine wrote:
> Eheeheheh.... You guys are funny, but i start getting your jokes.
> That's a piece for me to keep ;)
> Guess what i'm going to do when i'm 60 years old ;)

Offering it for sale at $50,000 euro. then complaining that all
reasonable offers are too low?

Matthew

--
"All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of
people". Alexander Bullock ("My Man Godfrey" 1936):

Laserdisc_machine

Jun 5, 2008, 7:04:07 AM6/5/08
LD-S2 is also a very good unit. I bough one never used in origial box for
$200 USD when i was visiting New York, it's an awsome player.

Laserdisc_machine

Jun 5, 2008, 10:20:59 AM6/5/08
If you give me 50000 USD for the X9 i will consider....give you the answer
in few days.

Nitehawk^

Jun 5, 2008, 2:11:50 PM6/5/08
On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 16:43:21 -0500, "Laserdisc_machine"
<vitor_t...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>This is a good thread and it will be fun to hear some opinions.
>In my opinion HLD X0 and X9 leave the LJR II K.O, no doubt.
>And besides Pioneer didn't needed to buy YHX certification to have a much
>better quality than runco.
>And whorst is when you call Runco and ask for parts to repair an LJR II
>there are no parts...
>No parts for s $4000 USD machine? Wooowww....

hehe Here we go again, another humorous comparison thread by Vitor.
Expensive players now getting older and he's surprised there are no
parts still being made for them

Nitehawk^

Jun 5, 2008, 2:17:01 PM6/5/08
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 02:55:00 -0500, "Laserdisc_machine"
<vitor_t...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Eheeheheh.... You guys are funny, but i start getting your jokes.
>That's a piece for me to keep ;)
>Guess what i'm going to do when i'm 60 years old ;)

hmmm, Vitor at age 60... sitting on a few expensive players from the
1990's that are now (lets for the sake of argument say) 25+ years
old. He is still surprised parts are not being made for LD & 8-track
players and he is still dumbfounded why no one will buy all his 'new,
never used in box' LD players for an outragously large amount of
money.

Dave Garrett

Jun 5, 2008, 5:28:59 PM6/5/08
In article
<f740c6b6cbd7d2e0...@localhost.talkaboutvideo.com>,
vitor_t...@hotmail.com says...

> LD-S2 is also a very good unit. I bough one never used in origial box for
> $200 USD when i was visiting New York, it's an awsome player.

Damn, I wish I could find an LD-S2 for $200. I guess it must've been at
the same place that has the $500 HLD-X9s.

Dave

unclejr

Jun 5, 2008, 6:10:08 PM6/5/08
On Jun 5, 4:28 pm, Dave Garrett <d...@compassnet.com> wrote:
> Damn, I wish I could find an LD-S2 for $200. I guess it must've been at
> the same place that has the $500 HLD-X9s.

A few years ago, I told Kurtis that I was in the market for an AC-3-
modded S2. Lo and behold an unmodded S2 appeared on eBay. It was at
around $250 in the final minutes when I decided to snipe for it.
Little did I know that Kurtis sniped at it, too, costing me an extra
$50 in the process.

-Junior

SDF Poster

Jun 5, 2008, 6:49:16 PM6/5/08
Hi, I've got a HLD-X0 new in box for $10. But you have to fly here from
Portugal to pick it up.

My plan is to keep it in the box until all the rubber parts either
turn to goo or become harder than stone. Then I'll put one of my 17
unopen copies (still in shrink wrap! The bowing is actually good for
them) of "Geshaft Bemaken Meine Musik" and let her spin (take cover!)

Seriously, this HLD-X0 is connected to a chain and I toss it overboard
when I go sailing. It works real good.

th...@thadlabs.com

Jun 5, 2008, 7:22:54 PM6/5/08
On Jun 5, 11:11 am, Nitehawk^ <nighthawk...@no.spam.hotmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 16:43:21 -0500, "Laserdisc_machine"

Heh! Here in the USA the various consumer protection laws/regulations
generally require a manufacturer to "support" a product for 7 years
past
its EOL (End-of-Life). It seems most of today's electronic gadgets
have
an EOL of about 6 months from their debut given technical
obsolescence,

FWIW, my HLD-X9 players are still working fine after 10 years. Two
nights ago I watched JOE'S APARTMENT and last night it was "I
COME IN PEACE" (aka DARK ANGEL).

While browsing my LD collection the past several nights, I found a
lot of titles that never made it to DVD yet, so LD is not dead. :-)

Nitehawk^

Jun 5, 2008, 8:14:29 PM6/5/08

yeah I have many LD's that have never made it to DVD also, and I am
not willing to give up on LD, they still look great. Unfortunately,
my Pioneer CLD-D704 squeals louder than a bad alternator belt

th...@thadlabs.com

Jun 6, 2008, 1:30:46 AM6/6/08
On Jun 5, 5:14 pm, Nitehawk^ <nighthawk...@no.spam.hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> yeah I have many LD's that have never made it to DVD also, and I am
> not willing to give up on LD, they still look great. Unfortunately,
> my Pioneer CLD-D704 squeals louder than a bad alternator belt

Ew. Hopefully someone (Kurtis ?) might have some suggestions.

Tonight I'm going to treat myself to a rewatch of THE HUNTED. As
some of you may recall from postings here about 10+ years ago,
the sound on this one is incredible and the picture is impeccable.

FYI, this is Universal 42518, ISBN 0-96894-25186-4, starring
Christopher Lambert, John Lone and Joan Chen. Someone here
commented this release had special processing which accounts
for the excellent sound and video. A Google Group search finds
this:

<http://groups.google.com/group/alt.video.laserdisc/browse_frm/thread/
648dd2fa99baef35/6bfa7131f00e9899?lnk=gst&q=THE
+HUNTED#6bfa7131f00e9899>

which has this (my) writeup from April 1997:

A selection I casually acquired about a month ago while thumbing-
through the
racks at my local dealer (Laserland Home Theater, San Jose CA) proved
to be
the surprise of the decade for me while viewing it for the first time
this
evening. The picture, sound and pressing quality exceeds 99.99% of
the LDs
in my collection.

The movie is THE HUNTED (1995), MCA/Universal 42518 (2 sides CLV with
Dolby
Surround, pressed by Pioneer USA), starring Christopher Lambert, John
Lone
and Joan Chen.

It was solely Joan Chen's name on the cover that persuaded me to
purchase this
selection on a whim, and I am very thankful I did.

In fact, this is one of only about 3 or 4 other LDs in my collection
of several
thousand that I deemed worthy to play to the end of the credits
because the
sound was so good. And I have literally every THX, AC-3, Special
Edition,
whatnot, etc. movie pressed, and this one blows nearly all of them
away.

I had to actually LOOK at my AC-3 decoder to see if it was on (it was,
but only
in standby mode) because the surrounds were flabbergasting.

The colors were so vibrant, the picture was so clear, and there wasn't
a single
speckle at all. In other words, this is a flawless transfer and
pressing, and
the sound was impeccable.

FWIW, I have 2 home theaters and the one in which I played this movie
is a
full THX setup with about 2 HP (1,500 Watts) audio power amplification
almost
always operated at THX reference level, and for this movie it does
help to
have several subwoofers to "capture" the full effects of the Japanese
drum
music, bodies hitting the floor, the Bullet Train episode, the Ninja
versus
Samurai swordfights, etc etc etc.

For me, this movie has become one of the "must show" movies for
visitors and
friends, displacing Jurassic Park, Heat, and The Rock in my
repertoire.

In summary: GET THIS ONE if you can find it. The IMDb lists it as
still
available.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

Thad

and there are also these comments in that 11-year-old thread:

+ Date: 27 Apr 1997 19:16:00 +0100
+ From: ch...@pegasus.owl.de (Christoph Steinecke)
+ To: t...@netcom.com
+ Subject: Re: An incredible LD and movie experience: THE HUNTED
(1995)
+
+ Hallo thad,
+
+ >The movie is THE HUNTED (1995), MCA/Universal 42518 (2 sides CLV
with Dolby
+ >Surround, pressed by Pioneer USA), starring Christopher Lambert,
John Lone
+ >and Joan Chen.
+
+ as this is a Universal release it should only have DTS Stereo
Surround
+ but not Dolby Surround
+
+ >In fact, this is one of only about 3 or 4 other LDs in my
collection of
+ >several thousand that I deemed worthy to play to the end of the
credits
+ >because the sound was so good. And I have literally every THX,
AC-3,
+ >Special Edition, whatnot, etc. movie pressed, and this one blows
nearly
+ >all of them away.
+ >
+ >I had to actually LOOK at my AC-3 decoder to see if it was on (it
was, but
+ >only in standby mode) because the surrounds were flabbergasting.
+
+ yes the sound is amazing - however even better was the DTS
screening
+ I saw in theatres here in Europe - pretty much the best sound I
have
+ ever heard - you wouldnt belive how the utilized the surround
channel
+ in the 5.1 digital mix
+
+ >The colors were so vibrant, the picture was so clear, and there
wasn't a
+ >single speckle at all. In other words, this is a flawless transfer
and
+ >pressing, and the sound was impeccable.
+
+ the ld was mastered from some HD super scan process (or something
similar)
+ and thus looks so incredibly good
+
+ >FWIW, I have 2 home theaters and the one in which I played this
movie is a
+ >full THX setup with about 2 HP (1,500 Watts) audio power
amplification
+ >almost always operated at THX reference level, and for this movie
it does
+ >help to have several subwoofers to "capture" the full effects of
the
+ >Japanese drum music, bodies hitting the floor, the Bullet Train
episode,
+ >the Ninja versus Samurai swordfights, etc etc etc.
+
+ the low lefel output is amazing - this would be a perfect example
+ release as a DTS or AC3 release
+
+ >For me, this movie has become one of the "must show" movies for
visitors and
+ >friends, displacing Jurassic Park, Heat, and The Rock in my
repertoire.
+
+ its is definitely superior from an acoustic viewpoint
+
+ >In summary: GET THIS ONE if you can find it. The IMDb lists it as
still
+ >available.
+ >
+ >I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I did.
+
+ while sound and picture are outstanding, the movie itself is kind
of a
+ letdown
+
+ you might want to know that this movie is the only movie where
+ Leonard Maltin specifically made reference to the sound system
+
+ The Hunted
+ US (1995): Crime/Action
+ Leonard Maltin Review: 1.5 stars out of 4
+
+ 118 min, Rated R, Color, Available on videocassette and laserdisc
+
+ New York businessman is chased by masked ninja assassins who
actively
+ conceal their identities, which at least puts them one-up on some of
their
+ fellow cast members. Slicing and dicing via DTS sound technology
suggests
+ an episode of "The Montel Williams Show" gone terrible wrong: titles
of
+ bona fide Japanese classics indicate what its like sitting through
this:
+ GATE OF HELL, STREET OF SHAME and_in Lambert's case_AN ACTOR'S
REVENGE.

th...@thadlabs.com

Jun 6, 2008, 5:41:52 AM6/6/08
On Jun 5, 10:30 pm, "t...@thadlabs.com" <t...@thadlabs.com> wrote:
> On Jun 5, 5:14 pm, Nitehawk^ <nighthawk...@no.spam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > yeah I have many LD's that have never made it to DVD also, and I am
> > not willing to give up on LD, they still look great. Unfortunately,
> > my Pioneer CLD-D704 squeals louder than a bad alternator belt
>
> Ew. Hopefully someone (Kurtis ?) might have some suggestions.
>
> Tonight I'm going to treat myself to a rewatch of THE HUNTED. As
> some of you may recall from postings here about 10+ years ago,
> the sound on this one is incredible and the picture is impeccable.
>
> FYI, this is Universal 42518, ISBN 0-96894-25186-4, starring
> Christopher Lambert, John Lone and Joan Chen. Someone here
> commented this release had special processing which accounts
> for the excellent sound and video. A Google Group search finds
> this:
> [...]

WHOA!

Granted the story line and acting leave a wee bit to be desired,
but the picture and sound are still stupendous, even 11 years
after the last time I viewed this movie.

The video alone blows-away almost all my DVDs (and I have
over 4,000 of them).

As Christoph Steinecke wrote back on 27_Apr-1997:

+ the ld was mastered from some HD super scan process (or something

+ similar) and thus looks so incredibly good

Still true today, with a good pressing from Pioneer, nothing like the
crap from SONYsuck whose plating solution in Terre Haute IN was
contaminated with cat pee. That's why I still boycott SONYsuck.

I simply couldn't believe the quality of the video and sound of this
movie. SONYsuck and its Blu-Ray crapola can go to hell and burn
for all eternity.

Bruce Esquibel

Jun 6, 2008, 9:17:50 AM6/6/08
th...@thadlabs.com <th...@thadlabs.com> wrote:

> Heh! Here in the USA the various consumer protection laws/regulations
> generally require a manufacturer to "support" a product for 7 years
> past
> its EOL (End-of-Life). It seems most of today's electronic gadgets
> have
> an EOL of about 6 months from their debut given technical
> obsolescence,

I really think that 7 year parts availability is more urban legend than
anything else.

I think there was some period in the 1940's or 1950's where certain
companies were trying to get a leg up on competitors by offering 20 year
warranties on whatever they made but weaseling out of it by saying the parts
were obsolete and can't be fixed anymore.

So there were laws put into place where if a company said it was warrantied
for 5 or 7 years, they had to make sure the parts were available for that
period of time.

If the product was 30 day replacement, 1 year warranty, that 1 year was it
after the last one rolled off the assembly line.

Maybe there was something in the automotive field being a large investment
but common consumer electronics, I really doubt any 7 year rule for spare
parts was a requirement.

-bruce
b...@ripco.com

th...@thadlabs.com

Jun 6, 2008, 8:24:50 PM6/6/08
On Jun 6, 6:17 am, Bruce Esquibel <b...@e4500.ripco.com> wrote:
> [...]

> Maybe there was something in the automotive field being a large investment
> but common consumer electronics, I really doubt any 7 year rule for spare
> parts was a requirement.

It is now in California with new laws that were incrementally enacted
over
the past 4 years with full enactment on Jan. 1, 2008 for consumer
equipment. Gov. Schwarzennegger signed the bill into law 5 years ago.

The law includes home appliances (e.g., refrigerators, washers/dryers,
etc.). vehicles, and a lot of other things. In California the new law
is
called the Song-Beverly Act after its authors. See:

<http://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/sb_234.pdf>
and
<http://lemonlawadvocate.com/California_Lemon_Law.html>

Visit <http://www/ca.gov> and enter "Song-Beverly Act" into the
search window for additional info.

General info here:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_advocate>

th...@thadlabs.com

Jun 6, 2008, 8:28:54 PM6/6/08
On Jun 6, 5:24 pm, "t...@thadlabs.com" <t...@thadlabs.com> wrote:
> [...]

> Visit <http://www/ca.gov> and enter "Song-Beverly Act" into the
> search window for additional info.
> [...]

Oops, typo; should be <http://www.ca.gov/>

Kurtis Bahr

Jun 8, 2008, 6:59:40 PM6/8/08
You need a new spindle motor, in stock from Pioneer Parts. Last I knew $60
to $65 with tax and shipping

Kurtis

"Nitehawk^" <nighth...@no.spam.hotmail.com> wrote in message

Kurtis Bahr

Jun 8, 2008, 7:03:48 PM6/8/08
Remember the Runco is a modified Panasonic LX-900U. Panasonic quit selling
parts after the 7 years expired, dumped them all. Runco just picked the
wrong company and was not willing to stock parts on their own. McIntosh
repackaged the CLD-97 so all the internal parts are still available from
Pioneer and McIntosh will help with the externals. The Runco was good but
I's rather own a LD-S2, CLD-97, HLD-X0, or HLD-X9. With these machines you
didn't need to worry about THX certification

Kurtis

"Laserdisc_machine" <vitor_t...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Laserdisc_machine

Jun 9, 2008, 3:44:28 AM6/9/08
I agree with you Kurtis.
I like very much those players, and Pioneer without paying crazy prices to
have THX on their machines made the best available LD units on the planet.

Jesus Christ

Dec 8, 2020, 10:30:45 AM12/8/20
The Democrats were caught cheating. Trump will be President for 4 more years.

Oregonian Haruspex

Dec 10, 2020, 1:19:33 AM12/10/20
Jesus Christ <jayfeli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Democrats were caught cheating. Trump will be President for 4 more years.

DVL-91 for me, something just looks nicer about it. And yeah, Democrats got
caught BIGLY. Where’s Coomer?