LD-S1 Once a Great King

Grasshopper

Apr 13, 2009, 11:29:55 PM4/13/09
Many have overlooked the Great LD-S1 Pioneer first High End LD Player
even I overlooked until I started to collect the LD-s1 and all the
literature about this player.

The LD-S1 was really produced as a Laboratory tool just so Pioneer
Engineers could test the limits of the format for many years to come.

I, myself think it is still a very nice player and right after that
the cld-3030 is still in my opinion betters most newer players. I
love my 95's and 3080's but when it comes to black details and no
color smear these 2 (LD-S1) and cld-3030 are top of my viewing list.
I have added AC-3 and pcm to a LD-s1before the New Year and It is just
great minus no dual side Play. I was advised by a Pioneer Tech many
years ago that the LD-S1 can hold its own and then I found it true. I
havn't took the plunge for a LD-s2 because most are not packed well
and every other 1 has been repaired from E-bay at one time or another.

I have aquired many rare LD-s1 promotional items and the original
Dealer poster for this $2600.00 player from 1986-87.

I'm not trying to say its the best to all LD enthusiast but once you
really have a chance to discover the engineering of this player it
will be a keeper.

GrassHopper MI

lincoln

Apr 14, 2009, 1:00:46 PM4/14/09
Cool post! It's fun to be able to indulge in a product or hobby that
at one time was nearly impossible to participate in due to the cost.
Im sure many people feel the sale way about blue ray and other formats
now... but, $2,600 bucks for player back in the 80's was crazy jack!

Thanks again,
I will keep on eye on those auctions from now on!

Lincoln

torsten

Apr 15, 2009, 1:29:01 PM4/15/09

Congrats for your LD-S1, and the material you have collected. Over the
years I acquired many top of the line LD players, e.g. LD-X1, HLD-X0,
X9, HLD-1000, and even an LD-S1. The S1 solely for the purpose of
playing Palcom Laserdisc games, as the S1 has the control connector
which matches the one on the Palcom computer.

Worth to note is that both LD-X1 and LD-S1 carry the label "Reference
Laserdisc Player", and I was told that the two were used to verify the
compliance of LD products in various stages of the production (the X1
until the last day; when they ceased LD production in 2004). And the
story that you told us sounds like a confirmation for it.

Perhaps the S1 is one of the overlooked players, and they are
relatively cheap to have these days (from Japan). Although: some of
them are in bad condition.

Grasshopper: I'm interested in your AC3 mod. Do you have some plans or
schematics that you could share?

Nobody

Apr 16, 2009, 5:29:51 PM4/16/09
If you have photos of any of these units, can you please post them here or
put up a Flickr link.

Thanks a bunch!
Bill N.
I-Con Science Fiction, Inc.
Offices in both Stony Brook & Holbrook, New York

"torsten" <dont_...@h-plus-t.com> wrote in message

Grasshopper

Apr 16, 2009, 8:46:19 PM4/16/09
On Apr 16, 5:29 pm, "Nobody" <nob...@noaddress.com> wrote:
> If you have photos of any of these units, can you please post them here or
> put up a Flickr link.
>
> Thanks a bunch!
> Bill N.
> I-Con Science Fiction, Inc.
> Offices in both Stony Brook & Holbrook, New York
>
> "torsten" <dont_re...@h-plus-t.com> wrote in message
> schematics that you could share?- Hide quoted text -

Here is the photo link for the LD-s1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37462403@N05/?saved=1

GrassHopper (Michigan)

Grasshopper

Apr 16, 2009, 11:20:18 PM4/16/09
On Apr 16, 5:29 pm, "Nobody" <nob...@noaddress.com> wrote:
> If you have photos of any of these units, can you please post them here or
> put up a Flickr link.
>
> Thanks a bunch!
> Bill N.
> I-Con Science Fiction, Inc.
> Offices in both Stony Brook & Holbrook, New York
>
> "torsten" <dont_re...@h-plus-t.com> wrote in message
> schematics that you could share?- Hide quoted text -

I guess I never heard of the laserdisc games Palcom and anyone using
the computer connector on the back thats shape like a s-video that so
many mistaken it for a S-video output.

send me photos of the palcom computer and games a photo and some info
to laserte...@yahoo.com

thanks Nobody :)

GrassHopper MI USA

antont...@gmail.com