Pioneer Laser Jukebox

rob...@celander.dk

Mar 4, 2008, 1:11:13 PM3/4/08
Hallo everybody!

I have a Pioneer Laser Jukebox model: LJ-V20 / LC-V20 from 1988, it
uses the big CDs, and you if you connect a television you can see the
music videos, BUT I need some help!
It's the laser who doesn't work, so I need a replacement either the
laser (Pick-Up assembly - VWY 1005) or the Laser Disc Player (LDP
assembly - DXX 1170).
I don't know if you can help me, or know somebody who can?

Cheers

Robert Celander

Sam Goldwasser

Mar 4, 2008, 7:34:26 PM3/4/08
rob...@celander.dk writes:

Hi:

How do you know the laser doesn't work?

rob...@celander.dk

Mar 6, 2008, 7:39:17 AM3/6/08

Hi! I have been talking to Pioneer Denmark's service office, and they
told me that 98% it's the laser that's "burn off", and in some cases
the disc motor, but the disc motor is running "tree time round" when
I'm turning to power on...Do you have any info to tell me about this!?

Cheers

Robert Celander

Sam Goldwasser

Mar 6, 2008, 8:26:22 AM3/6/08
rob...@celander.dk writes:

> On 5 Mar., 01:34, Sam Goldwasser <s...@plus.seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
> > rob...@celander.dk writes:
> > > Hallo everybody!
> >
> > > I have a Pioneer Laser Jukebox model: LJ-V20 / LC-V20 from 1988, it
> > > uses the big CDs, and you if you connect a television you can see the
> > > music videos, BUT I need some help!
> > > It's the laser who doesn't work, so I need a replacement either the
> > > laser (Pick-Up assembly - VWY 1005) or the Laser Disc Player (LDP
> > > assembly - DXX 1170).
> > > I don't know if you can help me, or know somebody who can?
> >
> > Hi:
> >
> > How do you know the laser doesn't work?
> >
> > --- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/

> Hi! I have been talking to Pioneer Denmark's service office, and they

> told me that 98% it's the laser that's "burn off", and in some cases
> the disc motor, but the disc motor is running "tree time round" when
> I'm turning to power on...Do you have any info to tell me about this!?

OK, let's back up.

By "big CDs" you mean 12 inch Laser Discs I assume?

When you put in a LD, it spin? What do you mean by "tree time round"?

What are the actual symptoms? No picture or sound?

What type of discs are the music videos?

rob...@celander.dk

Mar 6, 2008, 12:42:11 PM3/6/08
> subject line.  Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -
>
> - Vis tekst i anførselstegn -

Hi!

Yes it's the big CD from 1988 laser discs, they have the siez of an
old vinyl singel, when I put the power cort on the laser motor turns
apx. 3 rounds and stops.

When I choose a song the arm get the laser CD, and puts it down on the
laser CD player, BUT it does not turn around - there for I have been
told from Pioneer Denmark that if I have clean til laser on both sides
of the lens it must be the laser thats "burn out".

So the problem are that the laser player will NO turn around and start
playing!

The songs are typical 80's music videos.

Do you have any other ideas...

Robert Celander

Sam Goldwasser

Mar 6, 2008, 7:24:58 PM3/6/08
rob...@celander.dk writes:

> Hi!
>
> Yes it's the big CD from 1988 laser discs, they have the siez of an
> old vinyl singel, when I put the power cort on the laser motor turns
> apx. 3 rounds and stops.

OK: Big CD=LaserDisc (LD) to everyone else. :)

So, you turn on the power and the platform on which the LD sits turns
approximately 3 times and stops.

> When I choose a song the arm get the laser CD, and puts it down on the
> laser CD player, BUT it does not turn around - there for I have been
> told from Pioneer Denmark that if I have clean til laser on both sides
> of the lens it must be the laser thats "burn out".

This could mean it's not able to focus and the laser *could* be bad.

But, have you cleaned the lens? (Cotton swab damp but not soaking with
pure alcohol)?

> So the problem are that the laser player will NO turn around and start

rob...@celander.dk

Mar 7, 2008, 1:20:12 AM3/7/08
> > Robert Celander- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -
>
> - Vis tekst i anførselstegn -- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -

> - Vis tekst i anførselstegn -

Yes your right its LD!

I have clean the lens with a littel drop of wather on a cotton swab,
no alcohol was used, Pioneer Denmark told me that.

Robert Celander

rob...@celander.dk

Mar 7, 2008, 7:26:24 AM3/7/08
On 7 Mar., 07:20, rob...@celander.dk wrote:
> On 7 Mar., 01:24, Sam Goldwasser <s...@plus.seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
>

> > rob...@celander.dk writes:

> > > Hi!
>
> > > Yes it's the big CD from 1988laserdiscs, they have the siez of an
> > > old vinyl singel, when I put the power cort on thelasermotor turns

> > > apx. 3 rounds and stops.
>
> > OK: Big CD=LaserDisc (LD) to everyone else. :)
>
> > So, you turn on the power and the platform on which the LD sits turns
> > approximately 3 times and stops.
>
> > > When I choose a song the arm get thelaserCD, and puts it down on the
> > >laserCD player, BUT it does not turn around - there for I have been
> > > told fromPioneerDenmark that if I have clean tillaseron both sides
> > > of the lens it must be thelaserthats "burn out".
>
> > This could mean it's not able to focus and thelaser*could* be bad.

> > But, have you cleaned the lens?  (Cotton swab damp but not soaking with
> > pure alcohol)?
>
> > --- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/
> >  Repair | Main Table of Contents:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/
> > +Lasers | Sam'sLaserFAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm

> >         | Mirror Sites:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html
>
> > Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is
> > ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included in the
> > subject line.  Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.
>
> > > So the problem are that thelaserplayer will NO turn around and start

> > > playing!
>
> > > The songs are typical 80's music videos.
>
> > > Do you have any other ideas...
>
> > > Robert Celander- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -
>
> > - Vis tekst i anførselstegn -- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -
>
> > - Vis tekst i anførselstegn -
>
> Yes your right its LD!
>
> I have clean the lens with a littel drop of wather on a cotton swab,
> no alcohol was used,PioneerDenmark told me that.
>
> Robert Celander- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -
>
> - Vis tekst i anførselstegn -

Hi Sam!

I have fixed my problem, I found a new laser player from Pioneer i
Hemsbach in Germany, so very soon my juke will "live" again, but thank
for your help!

Cheers

Robert Celander

Sam Goldwasser

Mar 7, 2008, 8:27:52 AM3/7/08
rob...@celander.dk writes:

> > > - Vis tekst i anførselstegn -- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -
> >
> > > - Vis tekst i anførselstegn -
> >
> > Yes your right its LD!
> >
> > I have clean the lens with a littel drop of wather on a cotton swab,
> > no alcohol was used,PioneerDenmark told me that.
> >
> > Robert Celander- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -
> >
> > - Vis tekst i anførselstegn -
>
> Hi Sam!
>
> I have fixed my problem, I found a new laser player from Pioneer i
> Hemsbach in Germany, so very soon my juke will "live" again, but thank
> for your help!

That was going to be my next suggestion - to find a replacement
player. :) Keep the broken one - you may eventually find the problem
and then have a spare.

From the lack of response from anyone else here, I can only guess that
the model is not very common, else there would have been more specific
advice.

Good luck with it!

Grasshopper

Mar 14, 2008, 7:48:49 PM3/14/08

Hello,

I have the laserpickup or can sell you the player so you know its
working before you pull it, it works great.
Let know on here and I will give you my contact.

Bill Vermillion

Mar 27, 2008, 8:18:31 PM3/27/08
In article <6wpru78...@plus.seas.upenn.edu>,

Maybe not. I have a few 8" laser music videos. They were pressed
like CDs with priting on one side. They needed a spacer to play
on some LD players to clamp properly while newer players would
handle them.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

Sam Goldwasser

Mar 28, 2008, 12:19:27 AM3/28/08
b...@wjv.com (Bill Vermillion) writes:

Right. There are those. I have one only to be able to say I have one. :)

Vince

Jun 19, 2021, 9:16:35 AM6/19/21
Anyone selling any LaserJuke LDs?

I am keen to add to my collection.

Happy to pay postage . I am in Melbourne, Australia

Ray Lastelle

Oct 5, 2021, 6:32:45 PM10/5/21
I have some Laser Juke Discs. What are they worth?
Tks
Ray